Sponsored

Permanently disable engine auto start stop (ESS) at stoplights?

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
We have NOT mandated ESS . I never heard of it until this forum . The entire idea is total lunacy , especially in a military Jeep . Imagine stopping a M-48 tank to fire , and the engine cuts off . Imagine stopping a recon Jeep in a thicket to avoid enemy , and the engine cuts off . Imagine landing a helicopter in a LZ , and the engine cuts off . Stupidest idea ever to cut off a functioning engine .
Nice try with your non sequitur, straw man and red herring arguments, but:
  • The Jeep isn't a military vehicle and hasn't been for decades. It last saw service in 1989. A modified light off-road vehicle built on the Jeep Wrangler by Hendrick Dynamics with a modified JP-8 diesel engine is in the works. This Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) vehicle was dubbed the Commando and is now officially designated the Grand Mobility Vehicle (GMV).
  • The Jeep isn't a tank, aircraft or submarine.
  • ESS can easily be disabled (or re-enabled) with the push of a button.
  • ESS can easily be controlled with the clutch (manual tranny) or brake (auto).
  • ESS is disabled in 4 Low.
  • ESS is disabled when AC is on max.
  • ESS is disabled when engine is cold.
  • ESS is disabled unless the vehicle is at a complete stop.
FWIW, I don't care one way or the other about ESS; however, mine functions exactly as it should so I leave it on more often than not.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
New to jeeps and first time having a car with ESS it was really weird the first time driving it but I got used to it very quickly. This is my default driver so saving a little gas for this oddity is fine with me.

Now if the engine starts to not come back on then I’ll have bigger concerns.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The reason why military is a good analogy , is because military is predicated on common sense . How about a submarine stopped while it fires a torpedo ; should it's engine cut off because it is stopped ? How about a civilian JK or JL 4-door stopped because of some sand or mud ; should it's engine cut off because it is stopped ? I fail to see any common sense in cutting off any engine because it is stopped . When you finish mowing one swath in a lawn , do you want your lawn mower engine to cut off ?
I dont think I have heard of anyone in the military saying they have common sense. lol Obviously jeep has an amazing military history but it's transformation has come pretty far from the original. ESS is probably a better idea for mall crawling, commuting, earth first types than guys who actually use their rigs as intended. ;)

Then again if I save a tiny bit of gas while going to the trail I get to do more trail. Of course if I turn the AC off and probably some other accessories, I could probably do even more trail. OR remove the tech that keeps it going along with the second battery to save weight and save gas that way. ;)

Like I keep saying. I'm not worried about it. There will be ways to ditch the stuff you dont want. Jeep is selling a zillion of these rigs so there will be fixes.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Maybe not yet, but I would not be surprised if it got adopted by some little country. I was in Taiwan a few years ago and saw quite a few Jeeps with some sort of extended height hard top in a parking lot. I think they were JK based.

Jeep Wrangler JL Permanently disable engine auto start stop (ESS) at stoplights? {filename}
I think the military in any nation could find some pretty good uses for an off road weapon.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I dont think I have heard of anyone in the military saying they have common sense. lol Obviously jeep has an amazing military history but it's transformation has come pretty far from the original. ESS is probably a better idea for mall crawling, commuting, earth first types than guys who actually use their rigs as intended. ;)

Then again if I save a tiny bit of gas while going to the trail I get to do more trail. Of course if I turn the AC off and probably some other accessories, I could probably do even more trail. OR remove the tech that keeps it going along with the second battery to save weight and save gas that way. ;)

Like I keep saying. I'm not worried about it. There will be ways to ditch the stuff you dont want. Jeep is selling a zillion of these rigs so there will be fixes.
Very sensible . My theory is if I got a 2 gallon rotopak gas container , I'd be way ahead of any miniscule gas savings ESS would do . lol .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I think the military in any nation could find some pretty good uses for an off road weapon.
True , and our Army M-151 had a 4H by adding front to the rear , and a rear wheel drive 2H ; never had nor needed a 4L . The instruction plate says push it into "IN" for adding front wheel drive to the rear wheel drive , for 4H . Pull back "OUT" for the rear wheel drive 2H .

Jeep Wrangler JL Permanently disable engine auto start stop (ESS) at stoplights? {filename}

bgj1010

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Systems Engineer - Manager
I found that you can also shift to neutral at or before a full stop (in the auto trans) and engine will not shut down, you will have to hold the brake down to shift back into drive after a stop if you let off the brake while in neutral.

Now that I think about it, I need to try and let the auto-start-stop shut the engine down and slip the transmission into neutral and see if the engine restarts.
You can also slap the shifter to manual mode when coming to or when stopped. No ESS in manual mode ;)

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
I will build one also buddy. I will purchase a 2014 beater to fix up for mudding are what ever.

But again who knows. Besides all this it's all fun
If I come off rude it's not that want to be hurtful.

I am into a lot of things which help many just have to come down to earth.
They were all built in OH!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ConqSoft For starters, I don't begrudge you for buying that Autostop Eliminator...

I will spew, that most here that don't use a Tazer JL to deal with ESS, have gone with the SmartStopStart unit to disable ESS. The guy that offers it is a JL owner, a long time forum goer and a forum sponsor. Also, a decent guy, a good communicator and a business owner that gives a dam.

Yes, the SmartStopStart unit costs a tad more, but I don't see them (others that sell a similar offering) here sponsoring the forum, talking JL, providing support and pertinent info regarding the hardware.

Anyway, I encourage all that are going to buy such a unit to consider the SmartStopStart unit for their JL or JT rather then other such offerings. Anyway, my vote is for the SmartStopStart unless you need the goodies that a Tazer JL Mini provides along with dealing with ESS.

On a side note.... The SmatStopStart unit for the JL was the first for use with the JL. It's a pretty streamline unit compared to the competition's offering... and no, you don't need to use zip ties with the SSS unit. 8-)
Jeep Wrangler JL Permanently disable engine auto start stop (ESS) at stoplights? smartstopstart

@SmartStopStart.com

Last edited:

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have any skin in the game either way. This was just the one I found last month when I was looking for a solution, and I think I ran across it on a thread here.

I’m sure the SmartStopStop works just as well, and if they are a forum sponsor then that would be a good reason to support them.
Sponsored