Sponsored

Mopar LCA swap

BasherXt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon on order
So just to see if this is an issue remedy for me or I'm I just paranoid? First time jeep owner. I have a 2021 2 door Rubicon. Drives fine up to 50-60 mph. Steering isn't as tight as other vehicles I've had before. at 65 mph and up it's almost scary to drive as the steering wheel has about 1" to left and 1" to right of play before it actually responds. So at interstate speeds it's like I'm always correcting and recorrecting as the road turns. I can actually wiggle the wheel left and right and it doesn't turn. Is that normal or will the LCA improve, or remove what I'm experiencing?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So just to see if this is an issue remedy for me or I'm I just paranoid? First time jeep owner. I have a 2021 2 door Rubicon. Drives fine up to 50-60 mph. Steering isn't as tight as other vehicles I've had before. at 65 mph and up it's almost scary to drive as the steering wheel has about 1" to left and 1" to right of play before it actually responds. So at interstate speeds it's like I'm always correcting and recorrecting as the road turns. I can actually wiggle the wheel left and right and it doesn't turn. Is that normal or will the LCA improve, or remove what I'm experiencing?
Yes, these will help remove some of the "twitchiness" you're experiencing by getting your caster to where it "should" be. The LCA's probably won't do anything to remove the play in your steering.

I don't doubt when people complain about the play in the steering, especially those who've never driven Wranglers before. My son thought so too when I bought my 2018. But after awhile, he didn't notice it anymore. It never bothered me as I had owned plenty of older Jeeps and the JL seemed much better. The steering design isn't the best (especially if you've been driving vehicles with rack and pinion steering), but it is more robust for off roading, which is probably why the Wrangler still uses it.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the new cast iron steering box? There's no excuse for 1" of play either direction.
That said, the longer LCAs should help.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
As Guy said, the longer control arms will make the jeep track straighter but they won't do anything to remove the slop in the steering. It's unfortunate that you're having that problem with a '21 model since they already have the updated steering box. After changing to the Mopar arms and new steering box my '20 two door steers as nicely as our F150.

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
If this is typical that's fine. I have the new cast box. Not my video but this is what I also experience. play in wheel uploaded by @Halstem1
How long have you been driving the Jeep?
My CTS has tight steering with a fast ratio. Even going from it to my wife's GMC Acadia I would notice a big difference, so then going to my 2018 JLU there was an even bigger difference. But I eventually got used to it and it's not a problem. Driving around town it's fine, at the speed limit on interstates it do seem to have a little bit of play. After you've driven it a month if it still seems excessive then I would go back to the dealer and at least have them compare to others on their lot.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
This is a long and useful thread. I had been considering a Mopar 2-inch lift, but got cold feet after reading a few bad stories about the ride after the upgrade. Plus, it would mean all new tires and wheels. Plan B is to embrace my Rubicon take-off wheels with KO2s and continue the transformation of my Sahara..

If I've researched this thread correctly, most people are recommending the Rubicon shocks, springs, Teraflex 0.5 spacers and the Mopar LCAs (s)?

Any benefit to having the dealership install (warranty) or can I go to my local shop? Estimated cost around $400?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This is a long and useful thread. I had been considering a Mopar 2-inch lift, but got cold feet after reading a few bad stories about the ride after the upgrade. Plus, it would mean all new tires and wheels. Plan B is to embrace my Rubicon take-off wheels with KO2s and continue the transformation of my Sahara..

If I've researched this thread correctly, most people are recommending the Rubicon shocks, springs, Teraflex 0.5 spacers and the Mopar LCAs (s)?

Any benefit to having the dealership install (warranty) or can I go to my local shop? Estimated cost around $400?
Dealership probably won't install since those parts aren't factory on your Sahara.
Here's my install thread (and the LCA install is post #4) just to give you an idea of what's involved. If you have a buddy w/ tools that can help it's a pretty simple DIY.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

ArmannB

First Name
Armann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR 3.6
Is the steering supposed to track dead straight after the LCA swap or just improve the steering but it'll "still be a jeep"?

I swapped the LCA but my alignment was off before I did it. After the alignment was complete I still notice some wandering. I've only had the jeep for a few months, half of which with bad alignment, so I don't have a good reference point to what it was brand new.

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Is the steering supposed to track dead straight after the LCA swap or just improve the steering but it'll "still be a jeep"?

I swapped the LCA but my alignment was off before I did it. After the alignment was complete I still notice some wandering. I've only had the jeep for a few months, half of which with bad alignment, so I don't have a good reference point to what it was brand new.
Is your jeep modded?

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

If your Jeep is lifted, 24.25" may not be enough. Also, it defies everything I've ever heard, but a high quality, pass-through steering damper (along with adjustable front LCAs) cured my steering.

Edit: just read that you have a stock height Rubi. The Mopar LCAs should be long enough. Seriously, try a good damper. I've been death on them for years, but it worked for me.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Some relatively light off roading, wouldn't imagine any damage to happen
What was off on your alignment? Toe and steering wheel alignment is all that's adjustable.
Sponsored