Sponsored

Just checked catch can and Wow!!!

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I just posted this in another thread. I had about one ounce of oil in my catch can after driving only 350 miles. I will let everyone draw their own conclusions of the effectiveness of catch cans.

FC8EF9FB-4972-4E85-8BA6-53F65212D51E.jpeg
Sponsored

Jljohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I installed the upr. First week I went from 17mpg to 18.8. Smoother starts and idle. Feels like more responsive throttle. I got a 1/4 cup of oil after 3k miles. It's easy to take off if I need to go to the dealer. I could even leave the old houses in the back cubby, with some wrenches if something happened on the road. I'm not sure why some jeepers here are freaking out about using them.

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
I've installed my catch can when vehicle was new, Mar '19. I'm at close to 15k miles now. I initially emptied the catch can every 1k miles; always the same 1.5 oz of oil removed. I've extended my catch can empty cycle to 1.5k miles, and last couple services I've removed 2 oz of oil. At 14k miles I was working on my air box, removed air silencer. Inspected the Throttle Body. Very little oil/dirt build up. Not even worth cleaning; but of course I did. Also after removing say 6 oz of oil, I put 6 oz of fresh oil back in. So since new I've kept 21 oz of oil out of my intake system. I'm thinking that's a good thing; don't see how it could be bad.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I am willing to bet that a catch can will prolong a spark plugs change or fuel injector am I wrong?

Update: my JL has 1300miles on it installed a catch can was not so hard I manage to get a good amount of oil with a 120mile road trip. I did went the cheaper route and ended up getting a catch can from aliexpress. My predictions were true it's exactly the same can mishimoto uses but for just $16 bucks. I did have to make my own mount and buy the lines. But ended up getting better lines and better fittings then what the mishimoto gives you. Total price under $50 bucks.

IMG_20200315_122411.jpg

IMG_20200315_121038.jpg

Last edited:

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAM TRX, 2018 JLUR, 1996 H1 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Commercial Operations (TWF)
Vehicle Showcase
Just checked catch can and WOW only 3k miles and almost halfway full. Don't wanna say brand don't think they are a sponsor and I know there is a sponsor that has them. Any catch can is better than nothing. This was with no extreme angles this round.

20190301_181030.jpg

20190301_181229.jpg
Hey,

Yea mine is the same, looks like we have the same catch can. I change the catch can probably around every 1,000ish miles and it's the same.

Dealership will tell you its normal, don't waist your time. They say the new valves are built for blow by.

I'd say check it more often and enjoy the peace of mind! :)

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I am willing to bet that a catch can will prolong a spark plugs change or fuel injector am I wrong?

Update: my JL has 1300miles on it installed a catch can was not so hard I manage to get a good amount of oil with a 120mile road trip. I did went the cheaper route and ended up getting a catch can from aliexpress. My predictions were true it's exactly the same can mishimoto uses but for just $16 bucks. I did have to make my own mount and buy the lines. But ended up getting better lines and better fittings then what the mishimoto gives you. Total price under $50 bucks.

IMG_20200315_122411.jpg

IMG_20200315_121038.jpg
Do you have a parts list as to what you actually purchased?

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Do you have a parts list as to what you actually purchased?
Catch can from eBay. OPEN it up and check for metal shavings from manufacturing
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153639356545
Cost $22

1" Sleeves to clean it up
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FW388KV/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_a1XGEb30GJQ9P
Cost $11

1/2 I.D from NAPA not listed since I went in the store told the guy I need 10 foot line for a catch can. I would wait until the can ships to your house and go with that to the store to make sure the line fits. Also get four clamps while you are there.
Cost $22

The bracket you are going to have to make home Depot is your friend. You can get a a aluminum 1/4 x 1-1/2 flat bar and cut it up and bend it to shape. Spray it black and to are good to go.
Cost $7

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
How does oil vapor survive ignition temperatures? It was very common to have engines run past 200k miles in the past with no erg or new pcv engine vents. I am sorry but I don't believe you.

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Jeep Wrangler JL Just checked catch can and Wow!!! 20201213_154514

Here is 11K miles worth of collection from my UPR catch can on my 2020 JLR 3.6 engine. I have experienced no ill effects and actually got better mpg until the dealership flashed my ECU for a knock condition that I never had... I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Petey003

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RAM TRX, 2018 JLUR, 1996 H1 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Commercial Operations (TWF)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey,

Yea mine is the same, looks like we have the same catch can. I change the catch can probably around every 1,000ish miles and it's the same.

Dealership will tell you its normal, don't waist your time. They say the new valves are built for blow by.

I'd say check it more often and enjoy the peace of mind! :)
Hey,

Yea for sure man. I check mine every couple of times I go to the gas station honestly and definitely after off-road trips. And yea, mine is UPR, you?

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

In my opinion, the catch can on the 3.6, won't do any harm, but is not really needed. Because it's port fuel injection, any oil vapor that gets into the intake valve area from the evap system gets washed by the gas which flows over the valves.

On the direct injected 2.0, its a different story all together. No gas washing over the valves. The vapor just sticks like glue to the back side of the intake valves. I think a catch can is very beneficial on any DI engine. Now, warranty issues will ensue if the dealer sees the catch can.

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
In my opinion, the catch can on the 3.6, won't do any harm, but is not really needed. Because it's port fuel injection, any oil vapor that gets into the intake valve area from the evap system gets washed by the gas which flows over the valves.

On the direct injected 2.0, its a different story all together. No gas washing over the valves. The vapor just sticks like glue to the back side of the intake valves. I think a catch can is very beneficial on any DI engine. Now, warranty issues will ensue if the dealer sees the catch can.
I agree with DI argument, I bought the Jeep for two reasons, 4 x 4 capable and non DI engine which is pretty rare these days. I owned a VW GTI with intake DI issues, I vowed not to own another, I did trade in a '17 Tacoma with dual injection which seemed okay but didn't own it long enough to experience rhe typical problems.