To Catch a Catch Can

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Did you start with the can empty? How fast did it fill up?
Yep, installed Friday afternoon, went for a drive on the trails Saturday, filled in about 4 hours then started to smoke. It works, I went out to put the car on these angles to see how well it went. I tried to check/empty it after it started smoking to see if it was full but too hot at the time.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, installed Friday afternoon, went for a drive on the trails Saturday, filled in about 4 hours then started to smoke. It works, I went out to put the car on these angles to see how well it went. I tried to check/empty it after it started smoking to see if it was full but too hot at the time.
So in 4 hours of driving, you filled the catch can or am I misunderstanding your post?

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
So in 4 hours of driving, you filled the catch can or am I misunderstanding your post?
Yep, 4 hours of driving about 10mins at 35' plus angles. It'll be the time spent at those angles filling it for me.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a UPR can a week ago and after 500 miles I got at least a quarter inch of oil in my can just driving 60% highway and 40% city. I’m impressed and happy with my purchase so far. Jeep only has 16,000 miles on it. I wish I would have had it this summer when I was wheeling. The pic attached is how much I had in my can around the 500 mile mark.

67A97788-8AD7-4002-9BCB-BFA691E4DA7F.jpeg

BE2D16B3-6861-47DA-93C0-8036E0EECE4D.jpeg

6441972A-F7FE-487A-A3F9-5C43AD6DBBEF.jpeg

joe@upr

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Great pictures and thanks for sharing. Just wanted to add the fact that the UPR catch cans fill up so fast is because they coalesce so much better than the other catch can designs. The majority of other designs let an excessive amount of oil escape and pass right through the catch can and only leave a small percent of what's actually traveling through the PCV system.

Even though many see oil in other catch can's they don't realize it's usually just a fraction of what they should be catching causing the placebo effect. We always have customers tell us their catch cans fill up quicker than brand x they used to have and they cannot believe the difference in the diffuser/filter for coalescing can make such a big difference.

Also, we will be offering an upgrade for existing customers with a different bottom to the catch can more geared to rock crawling and true JEEP designated component like all our kits as we don't believe in one size fits all products like all the other brands.

Have a great day, Joe

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Makes sense it could fill off-roading at those angles. Oil pools at the back of the valve cover and liquid oil is probably getting slurped up bye the pcv valve. Your catch can is acting as a reservoir so it doesn't get sucked into the intake until it gets too full too.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Great pictures and thanks for sharing. Just wanted to add the fact that the UPR catch cans fill up so fast is because they coalesce so much better than the other catch can designs. The majority of other designs let an excessive amount of oil escape and pass right through the catch can and only leave a small percent of what's actually traveling through the PCV system.

Even though many see oil in other catch can's they don't realize it's usually just a fraction of what they should be catching causing the placebo effect. We always have customers tell us their catch cans fill up quicker than brand x they used to have and they cannot believe the difference in the diffuser/filter for coalescing can make such a big difference.

Also, we will be offering an upgrade for existing customers with a different bottom to the catch can more geared to rock crawling and true JEEP designated component like all our kits as we don't believe in one size fits all products like all the other brands.

Have a great day, Joe
Will this new version have a larger capacity?

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
lately, I am having a heck of a time with the screw that mounts to the engine coming loose. The screw in the bottom of the aluminum post keeps backing out, even with the lock washer. In addition, its super hard to re-tighten because you don't have visual access to the allen head. Twice now I've just happened to check it before it came off completely. Anyone else?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
lately, I am having a heck of a time with the screw that mounts to the engine coming loose. The screw in the bottom of the aluminum post keeps backing out, even with the lock washer. In addition, its super hard to re-tighten because you don't have visual access to the allen head. Twice now I've just happened to check it before it came off completely. Anyone else?
No issues on mine. Have you tried a little blue loctite?

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Yep, I'm thinking I'll add some thread lock

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
No issues on mine. Have you tried a little blue loctite?
That was my next step. Maybe i'll do that this weekend. heading to colorado in 10 days and the last thing I want is that coming undone while driving.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
On the subject of catch cans, are they really necessary? I know nothing of their function but have read on this forum both pro and con. So kinda confused as to is it necessary or a waste of money.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
What’s the general feedback from dealers on catch cans as it relates to warrant? Do they give you any grief? I have a warranty item and trying to decide if I need to put my factory breather tube back on before. Thanks.
I'd just use some common sense. If taking Jeep in for an engine related issue probably best to make it stock.

If going in for something completely not related most dealers will not make an issue out of it.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to give a bit more feedback on my UPR. At 3K miles it needs to be dumped (at least on my engine). There was about 90 ml after 3,082 miles on a road trip. It was emptied before the trip. As near as I can tell 100 ml is the limit before it reaches the bottom of the diffuser and is subsequently pulled into engine.

3h24RI.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted to give a bit more feedback on my UPR. At 3K miles it needs to be dumped (at least on my engine). There was about 90 ml after 3,082 miles on a road trip. It was emptied before the trip. As near as I can tell 100 ml is the limit before it reaches the bottom of the diffuser and is subsequently pulled into engine.

3h24RI.jpg
Wow, only 100 miles or is that a typo?
Sponsored