Sponsored

Just checked catch can and Wow!!!

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Haha not to mention they getting payed to slap parts on thier rig (first time jeep owners) . And the sheep all buy it...
Look, I’m not going to hate on them for getting paid to put things on their rig, wish someone would do that for me, it takes a lot to edit those videos and such. I have different reasons why I don’t watch their videos. More annoying ones IMO lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
thecritter

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Fake news
Crank case vapor mixed with a lil EGR can be bad and
You’d be right if the pentistar was direct injection but its not. Fuel does flow on to amd past the intake valves and cleans them because its a multi port setup.
What is fake about seeing it with your own eyes. I don't want to start this but how many engines have you even seen the inside of if any... and changing the air filter does not count. This is an engine that is 8 or 9 years old and established not a new who knows what is going on with it engine. A catch can will not hurt it. Will it help it I hope so but it won't hurt it. Only a few members are certified mechanics the rest of us around here we just share our experience and love for Jeeps and playing. Dang @Rhinebeck01 you called it lol

BettyBoop

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR 2dr.
Occupation
Business Owner
Two quick comments. I've used a catch can on my 2012 Dodge Ram since new; I keep track of how much oil and how the oil looks each time I empty it. FYI, winter time, if I don't drive it enough, it gets a little brownish moisture. I Usually check it every 3-5K miles; at most it's half full. At 48K miles, I scoped my TB and Intake. No build up what so ever; no oily film, amazingly clean. Is catch can needed/required? Prob not; but doesn't hurt anything either.

In 1995 I bought a new Pontiac T/A. At 8K miles I noticed the oil pressure only at 7psi! Took to dealer, they replaced pressure sensor. Still 7psi. Took back to dealer. They replaced pressure sensor; I offered my advice that, hey that's not the problem. I was told to just drive it; 6psi is the low specification. 8K miles engine starts heavy clunking sound. Tow to dealer; bad engine... Dealer says they won't fix it because I installed after market headers. Now they'd been on the car since new, and were there whenever dealer worked on it. He never said a cross word. So I say to dealer, do we need to get attorney's involved? His response "we're GM, we have big attorney's" "get your car off my lot" So I sued them, took two years. Finally a GM Engineer came to look at the broken engine I'd removed. Crank shaft was split; it was a bad pour from the original forging. GM decided not to continue court case. They paid all my expenses, attorney fee's, new engine, the works.

The moral might be? Yes, you could run into warranty issues with literally any modification you make to your vehicle. Yes you can fight and win in court; but it's truly a PIA.

I discuss my modifications with my service manager, not the desk jockey's out front. If he raises an eye brow; I don't do it, or don't let him know I've done it. If your dealer is too restrictive, or your uneasy with their honesty. Take your business somewhere else. I find most dealers want to take care of you; they want me to buy another vehicle in a couple years. I've asked my Service Manager, Oil Catch Can on my new Jeep is a non-issue.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I installed a catch can yesterday on my 3.6 JLR. I was absolutely surprised how much oil seeped out of PCV line when I removed it, both on the clean side and the dirty side. All this and I only have 2,600 miles on my Jeep. It will be interesting to see how much the can collects, especially in cold weather.

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The idea of a catch can is a good one but the oil that is removed from engine leaves the engine with less oil. Why not just put a filter in front of the pcv not allowing the oil past. This was done normally on a lot of other cars.

17C88444-498F-47F4-BA19-4CA1AC5A19B9.jpeg

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 3.6L is one of the few engines that doesn't burn ANY oil between changes. It's extremely easy on oil. Heck, after an oil change it takes a couple thousand miles before my oil even loses it's "honey" color. Which means that the EGR system in stock form is very efficient and is doing what it's designed to do. I'll leave mine as-is.

Sure, you can put a device in line to catch oil. You could also put a device in line to catch coolant. Or washer fluid. But why?

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I think one big issue that hasn't been addressed in this thread is the quality of the oil. Chrysler recommends a 0-20W oil by Pennzoil. Me personally, I would stay away from parafin (wax) based oils like Pennzoil and go fully synthetic like Mobil 1. Any parafin based oils will cause a brownish buildup on the metal surfaces.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have a mighty mouse catch can on my LS1 and it has done very well with blow by. Shot him an email and he said his plan was to come out with a CC for the 3.6L sometime this year.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The 3.6L is one of the few engines that doesn't burn ANY oil between changes. It's extremely easy on oil. Heck, after an oil change it takes a couple thousand miles before my oil even loses it's "honey" color. Which means that the EGR system in stock form is very efficient and is doing what it's designed to do. I'll leave mine as-is.

Sure, you can put a device in line to catch oil. You could also put a device in line to catch coolant. Or washer fluid. But why?
If the 3.6 doesn't burn any oil, how do you explain the oil that's accumulating in the catch cans? That oil would otherwise be burned in the combustion process.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS

You clearly need to read up about the PCV system that is on all engines. The whole point of the PCV system is to reburn blow by, which includes oil as part of blow by. All engines burn oil.

Last edited:

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The idea of a catch can is a good one but the oil that is removed from engine leaves the engine with less oil. Why not just put a filter in front of the pcv not allowing the oil past. This was done normally on a lot of other cars.

17C88444-498F-47F4-BA19-4CA1AC5A19B9.jpeg
Any oil that goes through the PCV system is going to get burned in the combustion chamber and leave the engine just as short on oil. It's going to be a pretty minuscule amount either way.

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Any oil that goes through the PCV system is going to get burned in the combustion chamber and leave the engine just as short on oil. It's going to be a pretty minuscule amount either way.
I understand that but with the filter not as much oil passes through. It would have been better if the separated oil in the can would go back into the engine. Right now it’s just another thing to check.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I understand that but with the filter not as much oil passes through. It would have been better if the separated oil in the can would go back into the engine. Right now it’s just another thing to check.
Oh I'm not advocating for the catch can, I think they're silly. Just saying the PCV system doesn't return the oil to the pan, nor would you want it to.

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I'm not advocating for the catch can, I think they're silly. Just saying the PCV system doesn't return the oil to the pan, nor would you want it to.
Not an advocate for it either.

On sending the oil back it depends. That oil was already in the system. Sending it back into the pan I wouldn’t think would make a difference. If there was any contaminates in their then all the oil will also have the contimates also. This is all assuming more contaminates weren’t picked after the PCV.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Not an advocate for it either.

On sending the oil back it depends. That oil was already in the system. Sending it back into the pan I wouldn’t think would make a difference. If there was any contaminates in their then all the oil will also have the contimates also. This is all assuming more contaminates weren’t picked after the PCV.
There will be gas, air, and water in the blow by in addition to oil. At a minimum. By water, I mean the byproduct of combustion (hydrocarbons from the gas that combine with the O2, forming H2O (gas form initially, then solid form upon cool down)). Don't want any of that in the engine oil. ;)
Sponsored