Oil Catch Can ?

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
Therm of my can. 7 degrees outside. Shows input, can, and output pipe temps.
flir_20190126T083611.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Therm of my can. 7 degrees outside. Shows input, can, and output pipe temps.
This seems to show that it may reduce intake air temp a bit.

mdallas

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M50i, BMW X5 40i, JLU Sahara
This seems to show that it may reduce intake air temp a bit.
looks like it. I just wanted to make sure that nothing was going to freeze up.

everything looks good. My engine does seem to run smoother with the can in place.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Everyone has their opinions on whether a catch can is or isn't needed on the 3.6L motor. My 2¢ there are benefits to using a catch can. I got my first exposure to catch can's when we had our Hemi Grand Cherokee. When we traded in the Grand Cherokee I figured it was going to be a hard to find a buyer so I decided to try and re purpose it on my 3.6L JK. I noticed benefits from the time I installed the catch can from better fuel economy (about 1mpg or so) to it burning cleaner with no carbon build up in the tail pipe or the throttle body

This was what my catch can captured in a few months. What I happened to notice over time is the more highway driving I was doing the more the catch can captured.
11960000_1132836450064714_951132754401204605_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

As of yet, I have not done one on my JL, however it is something I'm considering the results I had on my JK.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
What impact would you think the increased compression of the PUG (from 10.2:1 to 11.3:1) have on blow by and the benefit of a catch can?

joe@upr

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
When you increase compression/cylinder pressure you have also increased the amount of blow-by generated creating added pressure and demand on the PCV system and crankcase. This will most definitely be a candidate for a properly functioning catch can system.

The benefit would be with a properly functioning catch can is that you would be able to reduce the majority of the oil that would otherwise be sucked/burned through your engine. This would also reduce the chances of detonation and give you a much cleaner and better combustion in the cylinder allowing you to really benefit from the added cylinder pressure.

This really goes for all compressions and engines and it just so happens when you increase compression/cylinder pressure you really want to be sure to have good pure gas. Anything diluting it will just cause LSPI and it will not give you the true performance and benefits of the added compression.

The most important variable of what you add to the PCV for a catch can is going to determine the level of performance and reliability your vehicle will return.

Just to give you a quick and direct answer, Joe
Sponsored