Aws

First Name
Aws
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler sport s jlu
Hi guys,
I have jast installed the mishimoto oil catch can my jeep jlu 3.6. I have heard some good reviews on it but also some bad ones but they were not on the wrangler specifically.
I am wondering if anyone from experience can tell his/her experience after installing it for a long time? Is there any issues?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have jast installed the mishimoto oil catch can my jeep jlu 3.6. I have heard some good reviews on it but also some bad ones but they were not on the wrangler specifically.
I am wondering if anyone from experience can tell his/her experience after installing it for a long time? Is there any issues?
You want opinions after you bought one and already installed it?

Since it's already installed, use it as intended and decide for yourself.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The only reason to put a catch can on a 3.6 is for extreme angles off road. Otherwise, useless. Someone will surely chime in to justify their purchase, but it does nothing useful.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have had a UPR catch can on my 3.6L for the past 40K miles with zero issues.

I like the fact it catches oil that would be reintroduced back into the intake and burned.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
Hi guys,
I am missing the point of this. What is it for?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I am missing the point of this. What is it for?
It is installed between the PCV valve and the intake, to catch the oil that would be sucked into the intake and burned. Some engines consume a lot of oil in this way. The pentastar engine does not. It is only when the vehicle is at extreme angles, oil pools at the rear of the cylinder head and overwhelms the centrifugal separator and excessive carryover will happen.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It is installed between the PCV valve and the intake, to catch the oil that would be sucked into the intake and burned. Some engines consume a lot of oil in this way. The pentastar engine does not. It is only when the vehicle is at extreme angles, oil pools at the rear of the cylinder head and overwhelms the centrifugal separator and excessive carryover will happen.
I have about 2.5 ounces collect every 2500 miles in my 3.6L during normal driving. While not a lot, it is enough that I would rather not have it in the intake. I also have to assume the catch can is not increasing the oil amount in any way and without it, I would have never known.

Does it matter? Will it make a difference? I am not sure as there are no long-term studies that I have found with objective data that clearly shows one way or the other. In the end, it is up to each of us to decide if it is worth it. I bought mine from a member here and did not pay full price for it so I am happy with the cost versus what it does.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
I've owned and rebuilt jeeps for 30+ years, from just about every model and they all have a degree of oil blow by which is funneled back into the intake to burn. It doesn't matter weather its direct injection or a ported fuel injection engine or your driving normally on flat ground or extreme angles. Its going to show up in your intake and not burn completely. It was one of the first items I added to my 3.6 JLUR and my Hemi. Does it make a difference, you bet. Keep in mind this is where the air flow of your engine is traveling through. If you took apart your intake and were to run your fingers/hand through the ports you would feel the oily/moisture that travels through the intake passages to your valves to burn. A catch can traps this unburned oil/moisture before it reaches your intake, disrupts your intake air flow and leaves oily deposits. Manufactures do not install these because everyone wants a maintenance free user friendly type vehicle and that is an extra step of maintenance for someone to do (empty a catch can). Is it going to destroy your engine if you do not have one, no but I am one who does not mind the extra maintenance for piece of mind of having a cleaner top end. I don't like that junk going through my intake, to my valves to burn.

Reactions: Aws

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I've owned and rebuilt jeeps for 30+ years, from just about every model and they all have a degree of oil blow by which is funneled back into the intake to burn. It doesn't matter weather its direct injection or a ported fuel injection engine or your driving normally on flat ground or extreme angles. Its going to show up in your intake and not burn completely. It was one of the first items I added to my 3.6 JLUR and my Hemi. Does it make a difference, you bet. Keep in mind this is where the air flow of your engine is traveling through. If you took apart your intake and were to run your fingers/hand through the ports you would feel the oily/moisture that travels through the intake passages to your valves to burn. A catch can traps this unburned oil/moisture before it reaches your intake, disrupts your intake air flow and leaves oily deposits. Manufactures do not install these because everyone wants a maintenance free user friendly type vehicle and that is an extra step of maintenance for someone to do (empty a catch can). Is it going to destroy your engine if you do not have one, no but I am one who does not mind the extra maintenance for piece of mind of having a cleaner top end. I don't like that junk going through my intake, to my valves to burn.
On a port injected motor, the oil does nothing to the valves. It could certainly be a concern for DI motors. On my Chevy pickup, I’ll install one soon because the 5.3 is a known oil eater. The Chrysler 3.6 just doesn’t consume much oil.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have run this catch can on a previous 3.6 JL and now on my current 3.6 JL and it does a great job at catching oil even during daily driving.
It does an awesome job at catching oil when on extreme obstacles and keeping the white plume of smoke from happening.
So in summary, it works as it should. Why burn the oil vapor by introducing it into the intake when you can catch it instead? You make it sound like it is totally useless when it's not.

Sponsored

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
I have run this catch can on a previous 3.6 JL and now on my current 3.6 JL and it does a great job at catching oil even during daily driving.
It does an awesome job at catching oil when on extreme obstacles and keeping the white plume of smoke from happening.
So in summary, it works as it should. Why burn the oil vapor by introducing it into the intake when you can catch it instead? You make it sound like it is totally useless when it's not.
Amen brother!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
It does what it is described to do, but a solution for no problem is no solution at all. Oil in the intake is a normal thing, all engines burn small amounts of oil. If you will be experiencing significant carryover it is undoubtedly worth it.If it is free, it’s worth it. Otherwise, it’s just there.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On a port injected motor, the oil does nothing to the valves.
Agree; but on the other hand, the oil passing past the valves will develop more carbon (in theory) inside the combustion chamber because it is being burned instead of trapped in the catch can.

This is the part that I wish I could find some objective data from a study to substantiate that theory...
Sponsored