Catch can and pre-detonation

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
I agree with @TEXGOAT - find another dealer. There is clearly something happening there that should not be. I have "lugged" my engine pretty hard and not had any pining on 87 octane (Shell) gas and I am also in the Houston area.
Maybe I'll check online reviews or see what others in the Texas area say about the dealership service departments they use. I'll throw some 87 octane in the next time I have to fill up and see what they say when I take it in. Hey, they can do my W12 recall too!
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'll check online reviews or see what others in the Texas area say about the dealership service departments they use. I'll throw some 87 octane in the next time I have to fill up and see what they say when I take it in. Hey, they can do my W12 recall too!
Not sure where you are in town, but Blake at River Oaks in Houston and Robert at Demondtrond in Conroe are the two who were recommended when I asked the same question.

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
Not sure where you are in town, but Blake at River Oaks in Houston and Robert at Demondtrond in Conroe are the two who were recommended when I asked the same question.
Perfect, thank you! I'm on the NW side near Jersey Village, in fact my house is about 1 mile from Northwest Dodge where I purchased the Jeep, but I can easily drive to either of those other locations.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect, thank you! I'm on the NW side near Jersey Village, in fact my house is about 1 mile from Northwest Dodge where I purchased the Jeep, but I can easily drive to either of those other locations.
Stay away from NW Dodge. Clueless is the best way to describe them.

Sponsored

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
After years of suffering low throttle pinging I just found this thread. Can anyone report after installing a catch can if your pining was fixed for good!?

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I understand but the low speed pinging was driving me nuts.. it was definitely from the oil dilution.
Hey just checking if this was the fix, did the ping come back? I’ve ordered the same catch can for my 3.6, it’s been pinging since new.

OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
yes, the catch helped GREATLY, however the complete elimination required a rotation of 91 octane and then a tank of 87 to kind of offset the cost.

In reality, these engines are just tuned a little too hot. maybe plugs or a new tune would allow the use of 87 exclusively? I don't know. I do plan to get the livernois tune eventually so I guess we'll see.

AU_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Does the 3.6 have two pcm pipes? I went to fit a moshimoto catch can’t and notice there is a second pvc fitting between the throttle body and the air filter? Fitting one catch isn’t solving the problem? Any one able to shed some light?

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Does the 3.6 have two pcm pipes? I went to fit a moshimoto catch can’t and notice there is a second pvc fitting between the throttle body and the air filter? Fitting one catch isn’t solving the problem? Any one able to shed some light?
Maybe this install video will help:

Sponsored

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe this install video will help:

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
yes, the catch helped GREATLY, however the complete elimination required a rotation of 91 octane and then a tank of 87 to kind of offset the cost.

In reality, these engines are just tuned a little too hot. maybe plugs or a new tune would allow the use of 87 exclusively? I don't know. I do plan to get the livernois tune eventually so I guess we'll see.
But don't these engines make about 15 more horsepower in other models? I would think those had increased timing assuming the compression ratio is the same. As for the warranty being denied, the dealer would have a hard time arguing putting in longer PCV hoses and a canister would cause any issues with the engine such as oil starvation or damaged pistons.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
But don't these engines make about 15 more horsepower in other models? I would think those had increased timing assuming the compression ratio is the same. As for the warranty being denied, the dealer would have a hard time arguing putting in longer PCV hoses and a canister would cause any issues with the engine such as oil starvation or damaged pistons.
Kinda what I thought but I just uninstalled my catch can for a trip to the dealer because my valves had gotten crazy loud. The sound went away when I put the old PCV hose back on. Reinstalled the CC and the valves got loud again. The tubes are clear and the can works like it should. I’m baffled.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
Kinda what I thought but I just uninstalled my catch can for a trip to the dealer because my valves had gotten crazy loud. The sound went away when I put the old PCV hose back on. Reinstalled the CC and the valves got loud again. The tubes are clear and the can works like it should. I’m baffled.
Does your can have a breather? If so that could explain the higher valvetrain noise. My Hemi ticks as does my 4.7L Dakota. If it is a tick at startup that gets quieter that could be an oiling issue but if it's constant it's another story.

Baffled, no pun intended?
Sponsored