Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
I saw these on wish.com and it got me thinking - I wonder if a thin piece of abs/plastic could be cut to the exact hinge size/shape and installed between the door and the hinge itself? (Like this product but for underneath the hinges?)

https://dl.wish.com/j4uUE

This would prevent the corrosion if you don’t already have it and could halt it if you do? Am I crazy? It would have to be thin enough not to mess up the door seal/latches...

Anyone ever see a product like this? I may try messaging the manufacturer to ask them if it’s something they could do?
Sponsored

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I saw these on wish.com and it got me thinking - I wonder if a thin piece of abs/plastic could be cut to the exact hinge size/shape and installed between the door and the hinge itself? (Like this product but for underneath the hinges?)

https://dl.wish.com/j4uUE

This would prevent the corrosion if you don’t already have it and could halt it if you do? Am I crazy? It would have to be thin enough not to mess up the door seal/latches...

Anyone ever see a product like this? I may try messaging the manufacturer to ask them if it’s something they could do?
My corrosion is on the door panel and not near a hinge. Im thinking as stated before it is being caused from the metal not being prepared before paint. Not just under the hinges.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
My corrosion is on the door panel and not near a hinge. Im thinking as stated before it is being caused from the metal not being prepared before paint. Not just under the hinges.
Correct , if the steel or Aluminum has contaminants on the surface from not being cleaned and prepped properly it will eventually start to raise the paint causing blisters and flaking . I you think about not all Jeeps have this paint problem. If it was the steel hinge and Aluminum door reaction all Jeeps would have it.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
My Jeep goes in for paint on the 9th. My dealer was really good about just snapping a few pics and didn't even fight me on if it was covered or not. It is a 2018 Mojito! so we shall see if the body shop can match the paint. :fingerscrossed:

I have seen some nightmare stories on here about non matching paint, poor blending or down right claim denials.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
FYI, The Wranglers aren't the only vehicle, and brand with ongoing corrosion issues. I drive a Ford Explorer, at work, and it is only a couple of years old. It has three areas of corrosion under the paint, on the front edge of the aluminum hood. The sizes range from dime to quarter size. the pant has no chips, or scratches in the area.

Sponsored

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Just drove by the lot and saw mine got back from paint. I asked them to order new bolts and paint the doors after they were mounted and primered so the hinges didn’t look like garbage. You can tell they listened :(

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges E949EF50-60C9-40E8-8907-2CD4B7137E90

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges AA19836E-153E-4095-BAC3-13658499D6CC

CJACKZ

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2003 Expedition, 2003 C230 kompressor
Occupation
Making Trash
I checked our 2021 JLUR in Snazzberry this morning. I do not see any bubbling yet but will definitely keep a close eye in this.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Is this still an issues on MY 2021, or too early to tell?
I believe this will still be an issue.... My loaner is a Black 2021 Sport. While looking around at the hinges, (cause why not) you can deff see where there is ZERO paint under the hinges. The black really shows how thin it is around and under the hinge. Just keep and eye on it, If you want to get real crazy with it, undo the hinges one by one and try and seal in between the door and hinge.

Mike S.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
A few weeks after I got mine back from the dealer (I got four brand new doors, painted black) I noticed that one of the hinges is starting again. The dealer just painted right over the hinges (did not disassemble). They indicated that they are not supposed to take the doors apart prior to painting. To their credit, the dealer did do a good job on the paint (besides refusing to disassemble first), and didn't give me any flack when I brought it in.

Sponsored

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Body shop I went to actually made the car look 10x worse

442A6A97-506C-4996-95C4-6BAB1C2585EA.jpeg

4D4F082B-54C1-4D60-9723-222E11992D63.jpeg

PghJeeper88

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Does anyone know what the warranty is on this? I just purchased my first Jeep 2 weeks ago. 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 46,000 miles and noticed that all the hinges have this issue. I’m hoping that this is still covered.

9A0AA2DB-ACB0-47D1-BFE1-0C58B1A63C39.jpeg

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know what the warranty is on this? I just purchased my first Jeep 2 weeks ago. 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 46,000 miles and noticed that all the hinges have this issue. I’m hoping that this is still covered.

9A0AA2DB-ACB0-47D1-BFE1-0C58B1A63C39.jpeg
I think corrosion is covered for 5yrs/Unlimited miles for the external body panels.

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
n the hinges. It appears that changing this painting process is too expensive than keeping loyal Jeep customers happy with a qualit
I think it's 5yrs/Unlimited miles for the external body panels.
Yep, 5 years unlimited miles per attached, section 2.2, C, second bullet point.

Attachments