Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

Tom73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500, 1967 Chevy 2
I’m second guessing my Jeep order now. @JeepCares is there any policy to cancel my order for a 2021 Rubicon? It hasn’t been released from the factory. I’ll have to contact my dealer too. I understand things can happen during design and production but not standing behind a known design error is concerning on a $40k+ vehicle.
Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I’m second guessing my Jeep order now. @JeepCares is there any policy to cancel my order for a 2021 Rubicon? It hasn’t been released from the factory. I’ll have to contact my dealer too. I understand things can happen during design and production but not standing behind a known design error is concerning on a $40k+ vehicle.
Did you put money down when you ordered ?

Tom73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you put money down when you ordered ?
I did put down $1k and if that wasn’t in play I might just walk away. I understand that no one can foresee every pitfall but one can control how they react and Jeep’s lack of response has me very concerned. I’m excited for my new Jeep but am also borderline ocd with taking care of my vehicles.

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
I did put down $1k and if that wasn’t in play I might just walk away. I understand that no one can foresee every pitfall but one can control how they react and Jeep’s lack of response has me very concerned. I’m excited for my new Jeep but am also borderline ocd with taking care of my vehicles.
I’m collecting my Jeep from the dealer after addressing this issue.
I am also super particular about these things, so I’m a little nervous to see the end result...

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
I
I understand I'm OCD probably too much . . I have a 19 Bright White Rubi tomorrow Dec 3 I've had for 2 yrs and only 1800 miles on it I ordered it to my specs it's just a toy . I've had it back to the Dealer 8 times for coolant leak , TSB's , steering issues I finally got everything fixed properly in September it's been a real head ache . Everyday I check for blisters around the door hinges the 1st time I see one it's up for sale. I'm not going to drive around in a 55,000 checker board and play games with FCAU . The new Bronco will definitely hurt jeep sales for sure .

Sponsored

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Has anyone had success with their respray done well? Mine is black and I am hoping it turns out well but most people seem to have had awful experiences matching the factory paint.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Has anyone had success with their respray done well? Mine is black and I am hoping it turns out well but most people seem to have had awful experiences matching the factory paint.
Good luck !

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Wow, time to go order a Bronco . If my paint starts bubbling it's gone . It will be a new C8 Corvette on order. I've had my 19 Rubi in the shop 8 times complete B.S.
Yes and this all happened at the same time as a power steering pump failure, cracked radiator, aux battery failure. The aux battery and power steering pump caused unbelievable electrical failure and left me stranded twice. Jeep Cares did help with those repairs.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes and this all happened at the same time as a power steering pump failure, cracked radiator, aux battery failure. The aux battery and power steering pump caused unbelievable electrical failure and left me stranded twice. Jeep Cares did help with those repairs.
That's sad . Very poor Customer Relation . If that was me I know what I would do !

Sponsored

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
Well, I am at the dealership and... I am furious.
So the afternoon before I took my Jeep to the dealership, I got it cleaned (detailed inside and meticulously washed outside) so we could clearly identify all the locations. I cleaned it on the inside, just because and also treated my leather seats.
So I get my truck back, nasty, dusty, inside and out. Plastic clips missing, plastic trim hanging, sandpaper marks, damage in the paint, fingerprints all over. But what blew me up was that, the body shop sanded down the damages and only painted from the outside, leaving the bare metal uncovered on the inside.
I refused to take the Jeep, the manager of the body shop is on her way... this dealer works with an external Chrysler approved body shop, so this work was outsourced.
The dealership is super apologetic, they are trying to fix this, that’s why they called the bodyshop manager here immediately.
I’m behaving so far, but I am about to blow up. I was supposed to fly out 2 days ago, but the shop kept being late. It’s Thursday today, I was supposed to get my Jeep back on Monday. I have a flight out in 2 hours. I guess I’m not flying tonight either....

But hey, at least they got the color right (as much as I can tell in this cloudy weather...

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So the afternoon before I took my Jeep to the dealership, I got it cleaned (detailed inside and meticulously washed outside) so we could clearly identify all the locations. I cleaned it on the inside, just because and also treated my leather seats.
So I get my truck back, nasty, dusty, inside and out. Plastic clips missing, plastic trim hanging, sandpaper marks, damage in the paint, fingerprints all over. But what blew me up was that, the body shop sanded down the damages and only painted from the outside, leaving the bare metal uncovered on the inside.
I refused to take the Jeep, the manager of the body shop is on her way... this dealer works with an external Chrysler approved body shop, so this work was outsourced.
The dealership is super apologetic, they are trying to fix this, that’s why they called the bodyshop manager here immediately.
I’m behaving so far, but I am about to blow up. I was supposed to fly out 2 days ago, but the shop kept being late. It’s Thursday today, I was supposed to get my Jeep back on Monday. I have a flight out in 2 hours. I guess I’m not flying tonight either....

But hey, at least they got the color right (as much as I can tell in this cloudy weather...
WOW !

jbal13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Update. After several tries they finally got it right.
1. On both bottom hinges the door would rub the hinge and damage the new paint. They adjusted the hinge and now it’s good. (I will see how well it lines up after I take the doors off and try to reinstall them)
2. When they disassemble the door they damaged the mirror flag applique. (That little triangular trim in the corner of the door, behind the mirror). They replaced that.
3. The round black tape that covers the holes to remove the door handles was missing. They replaced those.

My Jeep is bright white so the paint match is perfect.
On a good note. About 6 months age someone hit my drivers door. (Looks like someone was opening their door and hit me). That got fixed with the repaint.

All in all after almost 3weeks, having Jeep Cares getting involved, and finally the service manager got involved. It looks good and I’m glad to have it back. I think Jeep Cares was the best out of all of it. My case worker called me asked how things were going and called the dealer for frequent updates.

Tom73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

@sandor.g so sorry to hear this. I can only imagine the pit in your stomach.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
...So tiny peanuts vs big bucks painting all the JLs on the factory assembly line. Hopefully everything will stay perfect here and everywhere else. But who knows. Is kinda a huge crap shoot when and where - with this corrosion BS. It is what it is unfortunately.
I am glad you got it taken care of but I would bet that is not the last of premature corrosion on your Jeep. It would actually be small peanuts to fix the issue at the source rather than be repainting Jeeps and replacing body panels for years. I have read of a few instances where Jeep is replacing 4 doors and repainting. This will cost Jeep more in the long run, not to mention the bad press and disappointed customers.

I had my hardtop repainted after delivery due to poor factory coverage (could see white fiberglass around Windows and hinges), and now I have bubbling on 3 doors. 19 with 18k and washed regularly.
Sponsored