Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Yes, I am talking about the entire fender panel.

Those tiny flares look too small and flimsy to protect against much.

And if they can be removed in five minutes, chances are they will come off on the trail.
Hmm...I did read something interesting last week (forgive me as I can't find it right now), but I'm pretty sure I read that the entire quarter panel can be replaced with relative ease. So there should be plenty of options for the plastic flares and the quarters themselves, or replacements for both. But like others have said, we wont know this until we see it.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
That's not bad, but I see you still use your hands...
Same with my previous 2 generation Mustangs. It literally takes me 10 seconds now, with a second for each latch and 8 seconds for the top to fold all the way down.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Would love to see a video of someone frantically running out and yanking each window off as fast as possible then pulling the top back and strapping it down lol

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Yeah, you got me...I forgot about the back windows. I was just thinking about the top top.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Hmm...I did read something interesting last week (forgive me as I can't find it right now), but I'm pretty sure I read that the entire quarter panel can be replaced with relative ease. So there should be plenty of options for the plastic flares and the quarters themselves, or replacements for both. But like others have said, we wont know this until we see it.
I have some indirect ties to insiders and I have heard the same thing. Even down to the fact that they are designing it to use a single wrench to remove fenders/top/etc.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Bronco Raptor/Warthog/Whatever we're calling it today is coming.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Who cares. The thing is still one year away.

I am so over all this Bronco hype.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Who really knows. Not sure if or when the Bronco will go for North American crash testing. But I do know the Wrangler has never done it (as far as I know)...hence all the attention a few months ago when it went through European crash tests and didn't do so well.

Again, this vehicle isn't even out yet and there's limited details we know. Until it's actually released and/or released to the press everything is just everyone's opinions.

And to say Ford quality is bad, whatever, all cars/trucks have issues just who do you favour. I have a GT350, zero problems, brother has an F150, zero problems, parents have a 6 year old Edge, zero problems. I also have a 2019 VW Golf R, within 2 weeks, I was at the dealer getting the "oh shit" handle fixed. Also, had a 1998 Contour, only issues I ever had with that is rusted rocker panels (after 14 years) and constant warped rotors (prolly my fault cause I kept buying 3rd tier, cheap rotors).

As to the amount of abuse it can take, dunno, but if a Jeep's clearcoat hits the wall, it's going to do no better than a Bronco. And when I was building my Rubicon I came across numerous threads about how the Jeep metal bumper (rear) is just garbage, and not to get this option. I still got the option because the front bumper just matches to personality of a Rubicon imo. and if required can get an aftermarket rear.

I am aware this is a Wrangler forum, and of course there's a bias towards the Wrangler and I'd be surprised if there wasn't. But I'm literally 50/50 on what the Rubicon/Bronco decision. When I post here I post to help others who are in the same mindset. I love my GT350 so sometimes I may veer to the Ford camp, please forgive me. lol
I wasn't really getting into the whole Ford quality thing because both Ford and Chrysler have had their snafus with vehicle releases and quality. And this isn't about the crash testing; it is more about those who will be taking it off road, especially in off camber situations and trusting the cage. Simply put, this is one of their larger selling points vs. a Jeep for the vehicle that will have off road superiority. Remember that this is a battle for off-road buyers, not just cruising down A1A. So if they can't convince their own safety group and and executives that this is at least as safe as the tried and true design that Jeep (and every custom cage builder out there) uses, how can they reasonably expect the public to bite into that s#!t sandwich? I am not saying that it isn't going to be a good vehicle or some stiff competition or even that the cage won't be proven to be safe over time. But how should we be expected to trust it when Ford clearly doesn't even trust their own product?

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have some indirect ties to insiders and I have heard the same thing. Even down to the fact that they are designing it to use a single wrench to remove fenders/top/etc.
That's nice to hear....means I didn't dream this up lol

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wasn't really getting into the whole Ford quality thing because both Ford and Chrysler have had their snafus with vehicle releases and quality. And this isn't about the crash testing; it is more about those who will be taking it off road, especially in off camber situations and trusting the cage. Simply put, this is one of their larger selling points vs. a Jeep for the vehicle that will have off road superiority. Remember that this is a battle for off-road buyers, not just cruising down A1A. So if they can't convince their own safety group and and executives that this is at least as safe as the tried and true design that Jeep (and every custom cage builder out there) uses, how can they reasonably expect the public to bite into that s#!t sandwich? I am not saying that it isn't going to be a good vehicle or some stiff competition or even that the cage won't be proven to be safe over time. But how should we be expected to trust it when Ford clearly doesn't even trust their own product?
This is a battle for market-share more than anything (imo), not off roaders. In the end Ford (or Jeep) couldn't care less if anyone takes them off road. They simply want to sell the trucks/Jeeps. Who knows the percentage of people who take their Jeeps off road -- I gather its very very low; and it will be the same for the Bronco. No question. So the end goal is just to sell the Bronco and take Jeep sales away.

This forum is a collection of enthusiast who know A LOT about off roading and what they want in an off road vehicle. Ford would love to win a few of these people over but I really doubt that's the audience they're trying to attract.

With that said, the Bronco MUST be seen off road to some degree or it negates the off road capabilities they've tried so hard to prove.

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
This is a battle for market-share more than anything (imo), not off roaders. In the end Ford (or Jeep) couldn't care less if anyone takes them off road. They simply want to sell the trucks/Jeeps. Who knows the percentage of people who take their Jeeps off road -- I gather its very very low; and it will be the same for the Bronco. No question. So the end goal is just to sell the Bronco and take Jeep sales away.

This forum is a collection of enthusiast who know A LOT about off roading and what they want in an off road vehicle. Ford would love to win a few of these people over but I really doubt that's the audience they're trying to attract.

With that said, the Bronco MUST be seen off road to some degree or it negates the off road capabilities they've tried so hard to prove.
I understand that they want to sell numbers and the majority of those will be mall crawlers however I also disagree and think they have made it clear that they aren't just going for that crowd. They want the off roaders also, even the hard core. Attempting to run Baja and sponsoring KOH wouldn't really mean much to the beach cruising crowd but are actions designed to get the attention of the off roading community.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand that they want to sell numbers and the majority of those will be mall crawlers however I also disagree and think they have made it clear that they aren't just going for that crowd. They want the off roaders also, even the hard core. Attempting to run Baja and sponsoring KOH wouldn't really mean much to the beach cruising crowd but are actions designed to get the attention of the off roading community.
yup, that’s why I said in my last paragraph they still want the off roaders. But in the end, they simply want sales like any car company. Same as GT350 or Mustang, Camaro, Firebird (RIP, I loved it), maybe less than 5% are ever taken to the track or taken to their limits. A regular Mustang GT far exceeds most drivers capabilities (mine included). But they wanna sell them ...to anyone with the cash to buy lol. But, you are 100% correct; with the Bronco, they must have an offroad following (to some degree) to stay “legit”, just as these car manufacturers want to see their sports cars at the track.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic

Ah but it's got to be able to get enough serious off roaders to believe in it enough to set up a halo image of being a super capable rig. The other competitors who have tried to dip into the same sales pool that the Wrangler holds, failed at this. That is why this is not a very good look for them. They need that hard-core group that is going to hit all the big name trails, and be all over the internet, and social media, so that they can capture that market share. If it comes off as weak and not capable enough then it will fade away. It really has to be better than the Wrangler. After all, the Wrangler is the established segment leader. It has a massive following and support in the community and aftermarket. So don't be so quick to discount the value of off road ability. That has not proven to be an effective way to market in this segment.
Sponsored