Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 743 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
The fact that Bronco comes with 35’s stock negates that to an enormous degree IMO. It is still a factor but I’d guess that 90% of JL’s and JK’s are running 35’s or smaller.
That's a bit of a misstatement, because other than the First Edition and WildTrak trims, Broncos do not come with 35s stock. Other trims can come with 35s if you want an automatic and also add the Sasquatch package. No one has any idea how much that will cost or, relatedly, how much the auto (or auto + V6 package) will cost.

That whole dilemma (the lack of a manual Sasquatch) is why I started looking for--and eventually bought--a Rubicon. I can throw 35s on that fairly easily. And I have a stick on the engine of my choice.
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Factory half doors and mount the mirrors on the cowl done. Keep teasing half doors since the 2018 launch...offer the damn things please as a no cost option.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So when you get the numbers wrong 66% vs 34% it's just bad recollection. But when anyone else gets the numbers wrong, because they are using an arbitrary number to arrive at a point of discussion, that is unforgivable and they must be ridiculed and told, that they are merely trying to support an opinion that they feel superior to other people. Does that make any sense? Because someone said that most Wrangler owners don't off-road their Wranglers, that they are trying to perpetuate some sick twisted "dick measuring" contest? Do you see how ridiculously out of touch your statement was? Nobody has argued that the 10% number was accurate. But 10% is a lot closer to 34% than 66% is don't you think?
#whocares

1911addict

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
Have you looked at many JLs driving around? I don’t think 37+ is as rare as you think.

True....but 37+ under warranty is rare...as in void warranty. Some people worry about stuff like that.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True....but 37+ under warranty is rare...as in void warranty. Some people worry about stuff like that.
Folks gotta be smart and gotta know their warranty rights. For example, 37s should have nothing to do with whether the A/C craps out in the first 3 years/36K miles, and any dealer that thinks they are related is one that does not want your business.

1911addict

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Folks gotta be smart and gotta know their warranty rights. For example, 37s should have nothing to do with whether the A/C craps out in the first 3 years/36K miles, and any dealer that thinks they are related is one that does not want your business.

Agreed, and well stated. Seems the extended warranties are most at risk, though not totally. You call FCA and they tell you unequivocally any tires over 35s voids the warranty. This seems a manufactured problem not dealer. Perhaps the competition with loosen their stance. Better for everyone involved.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed, and well stated. Seems the extended warranties are most at risk, though not totally. You call FCA and they tell you unequivocally any tires over 35s voids the warranty. This seems a manufactured problem not dealer. Perhaps the competition with loosen their stance. Better for everyone involved.
I assume that's for the extended warranties, at least based on your prior sentence? I would imagine they exercise a bit more...draconian leverage...with those (extended warranties) than the standard warranties because of how the law (and market) developed.

I always recommend calling dealers and taking their temperatures with things, just because of how much latitude they seemingly have with it.

Sponsored

1911addict

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume that's for the extended warranties, at least based on your prior sentence? I would imagine they exercise a bit more...draconian leverage...with those (extended warranties) than the standard warranties because of how the law (and market) developed.

I always recommend calling dealers and taking their temperatures with things, just because of how much latitude they seemingly have with it.

Fair enough, thank you sir. Awesome avatar by the way.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Wait...huh??? lol

"As we can see, the Jeep's solid front axle (SFA) doesn't necessarily provide an advantage in all off-road situations - i.e. where the articulation advantages of SFA are not emphasized"

I'm sure we'll see dozens of videos like this where 'articulation doesn't matter' with the Bronco out climbing the Jeep.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Except it's really not a fair comparison since the Jeep is a foot or more over to the driver side in the deeper part of the "bowl" on the face of the rock he's climbing compared to the 4 door Bronco.

This was a line selection issue. Not sure one can make any conclusion based on that, especially considering this:

https://driving.ca/ford/features/feature-story/how-the-numbers-stack-up-between-the-2021-ford-bronco-and-jeep-wrangler#:~:text=Wrangler Rubicon's approach angle is,degrees on the 35-inchers.&text=Bronco's four-door is 20,departure angle is 29.7 degrees.

https://www.auffenbergcdjr.com/2020-jeep-wrangler-configurations/#:~:text=No matter which Jeep Wrangler,ground clearance of 10.9 inches!

First link claims the breakover for the 4 door Bronco with the "largest tire option" is 26.3º and the second claims the breakover on a JLUR is 27.3º.

Not sure where the first article comes up with the Rubicon Unlimited only being 22.6º since the 2nd link is from a Jeep dealer and looks to be taken from Jeep's official website.

***ETA*** CAVEAT: These were literally the first two Google'd articles I found on the subject of breakover for both vehicles though........and with Bronco not even being in production, not sure how reliable the alleged numbers are.
Hey Sean, I kinda disagree. From what I'm seeing by the tire marks on the rock face they are practically driving in the same spot...give or take a few inches.

Now one thing I did notice is when the first bronco went up there was wheel slip and he kept at it whereas the Jeep guy, soon as there was a little slip he let off...and then lost some momentum and had to reverse.

The second Bronco sailed up with no problem.

I think what we take from this and all the videos is the same; the Bronco is a contender, regardless of the fact that a lot of users on this forum were explicitly calling it a mall crawler, pavement princess, and only a off-road truck for the "highway". It's just time to accept the fact that there will be a heard of Broncos among the Wranglers next year on the trails :)

**not sure about a heard, cause I'm sure many will be hesitant to take their shiny new Bronco on the trails, but there will be a few horses out there lol

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Except it's really not a fair comparison since the Jeep is a foot or more over to the driver side in the deeper part of the "bowl" on the face of the rock he's climbing compared to the 4 door Bronco.

This was a line selection issue. Not sure one can make any conclusion based on that, especially considering this:

https://driving.ca/ford/features/feature-story/how-the-numbers-stack-up-between-the-2021-ford-bronco-and-jeep-wrangler#:~:text=Wrangler Rubicon's approach angle is,degrees on the 35-inchers.&text=Bronco's four-door is 20,departure angle is 29.7 degrees.

https://www.auffenbergcdjr.com/2020-jeep-wrangler-configurations/#:~:text=No matter which Jeep Wrangler,ground clearance of 10.9 inches!

First link claims the breakover for the 4 door Bronco with the "largest tire option" is 26.3º and the second claims the breakover on a JLUR is 27.3º.

Not sure where the first article comes up with the Rubicon Unlimited only being 22.6º since the 2nd link is from a Jeep dealer and looks to be taken from Jeep's official website.

***ETA*** CAVEAT: These were literally the first two Google'd articles I found on the subject of breakover for both vehicles though........and with Bronco not even being in production, not sure how reliable the alleged numbers are.
Also the commentator criticizes the Jeep's 37° departure angle. The Bronco's departure angle? Also 37°. This video was never meant to be a true comparison.

jec8rerdsovg7sdk0mfm.png

e2vljd6keu4qpcwc3vyz.png
Sponsored

Last edited: