Sponsored

Bronco Respect

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I know I'll probably take a hit here on this story and thought, but eh, it is what it is.

I was driving into drill this weekend, Saturday I believe, when I saw a dark green Bronco headed the other way. Either a woman or a thinner man in the drivers seat, all bundled up. How did I see them? Because the top was down, the doors were off, and they looked content as hell.

And it struck me. At least some of them are not so unlike ourselves.

See I'm not brand loyal. I'm just not. I don't like how Ford does business. I'll always steer clear of their vehicles, especially when it's anywhere near their warranty end.

But I bought a Jeep because #1 my wife wanted one due to our YJ in Hawai'i. #2 because it checked all the need boxes. #3 because it's THE only rig on the market that goes naked, and that's fun as hell. There's NO other experience than going naked on a mountain road, radio playing, having some snacks and drinks, the kids bickering in the back and my wife's hand in mine.

And I've realized since our first Jeep that, up til now, owning a Jeep Wrangler requires a certain mindset. I read a good metric that said, "If you have a Jeep for a year, you'll know whether it's for you or not."

Well, as much as I personally don't care for the Bronco, seeing them on the freeway this weekend... they'll never get a wave, but I shot that person a nod from a kindred spirit.
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

If I could've gotten a Bronco when I was in the market, I'd be driving that instead of my Jeep. It matches my needs much more closely than the Jeep does.

That being said, I love my Jeep.

I don't get the hatred that Broncos get within Jeep groups. Prior to the Bronco, the Wrangler didn't have any real competition in the marketplace - maybe the 4runner was the closest thing, if that.

Competition is GOOD for consumers - it drives prices down, fuels innovation, and leads to the creation of things like the Xtreme Recon package. TBH if you're a real Jeep fanboi, you should be cheering the Bronco on and encouraging people to get one - the Bronco's success can only mean good things for Wrangler die-hards.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
A first gen Bronco has been a dream of mine for a long time. I still regret selling my 95 full size. I think they did a good job overall with the new Bronco.

That said, once the off road bug gets you, there is just no replacement for a solid axle. If high speed desert running existed around here I may feel differently.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Competition is GOOD for consumers - it drives prices down, fuels innovation, and leads to the creation of things like the Xtreme Recon package. TBH if you're a real Jeep fanboi, you should be cheering the Bronco on and encouraging people to get one - the Bronco's success can only mean good things for Wrangler die-hards.
Competition drives prices up. If competition leads to innovation, that's product cost. If it leads to new configurations or trims, those are expenses paid for by the consumer.

That being said, everything on the ER package was off-the-shelf, already available from Mopar/Jeep Performance Parts. The JL was designed for 35" tires, years before the Bronco, the wheels, the axles, the "lift" was all available through your local Jeep dealer. It is the consumer that lead to Jeep offering it as part of the ER. Ford didn't do anything for the Jeep community, except build a Jeep JL knock-off. Ford just tried to jump further into the "retro" look, retro market, like the Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, Charger, Challenger, etc., by bringing back the retro 4x4. If Ford is competing, it's in-house, internally, with their own marketing departments.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I know for me, a longtime (and I mean a long time) Jeep owner, over the last 12 months, having been spending lots of time with a really terrific, 2 dr. Bronco Squash....working on it, driving it, pawing over it..... that my next vehicle may very well be a 2 dr. hardtop, Bronco Squash.

Dusty Roads

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys Sport
Had a 1970 Bronco, I wore out it's stock 289 and replaced it with a 302. Another one of those I sure wish I had back, it and my old 69 455 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ, my wife loved that car. I have to say the Bronco caught my eye, keeping the classic lines is was what sold it to me. I love them and I think they still look great, but I still bought a Jeep.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Had the Bronco not taken so long to come out, I most likely would have been driving one now. I've been a Ford owner for a long time and we still have 4 at the house, including an 84 Bronco II trail rig (currently apart for repairs). In May 2019, I got tired of the delays and said F-it, I can't wait anymore. On June 2, I bought my 2019 JLUR.
My Jeep has been a pure pleasure to own and I'm glad I didn't wait. I know 2 people that were Bronco reservation holders from day 1. One got his this past January and one last month. I enjoyed my Jeep for around 3 years before they got thier Broncos.

When my wife starts shopping for a new vehicle, the Bronco will be one she'll consider. But both of us drive so little now, it may be a long time before that day comes. Other than the Jeep, our 4 Fords are 9yo (Explorer), 15yo (Edge), 21yo (F250) and 38yo (Bronco II)... we tend to drive them until the wheels come off, put them back on and drive until they can't be put on.

I'm happy with my Jeep and no plans to get rid of it, like our other vehicles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco Respect 20220430_172228

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I was sitting across the intersection from a new White Bronco the other day here out in the country. When the light changed, he waved at me. Gave him one back. Nice to see folks out enjoying themselves.

G.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was sitting across the intersection from a new White Bronco the other day here out in the country. When the light changed, he waved at me. Gave him one back. Nice to see folks out enjoying themselves.

G.
I've had a few wave... I give them a wave back. I don't initiate the wave though.

I've seen a few off road doing the same trails as me. Not many off road, but a few. I'm not doing anything extreme in my Jeep either though.

Sponsored

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
My buddy had a Bronco on order for about a year and a half- his delivery date kept getting pushed, while I got my ordered JLU XR in three months, ahead of his Bronco. I gave him endless amounts of good-natured crap, but totally appreciate his choice, and like others, don't understand the disdain for Broncos or their owners. But of all the Bronco features, I'm quite envious of the USB power plugs on top of the dash- wish my Jeep had plugs up there!

IMG_2328.JPG

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Between selling my JK and setting up my JL, I'd missed about 6-8 months of wheeling trips from the end of 2021 to just a week or so back. During that time, it appears Ford got enough Broncos out to where we're seeing them on the road, and first time back on the trails now the JL's set up, saw a bunch of Broncos prepping to hit the trails. Didn't run across them on the trails, so no first-hand insight into how the vehicle comports itself, but happy to see them getting into the sport. IMO, people who drive a Bronco are likely to never consider a Jeep for one reason or another, and so I see it as just another pathway to get into a hobby that I think is great.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
One of my close buddies owns a few dealerships... amongst those dealerships, he owns both a Ford dealership and a Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership..

He is the one that has the Bronco Squash and a 2 dr. JL Rubi..

Anyway, blows me away when I go to his main vehicle storage yard for the two dealerships (combined storage) near his house and see JL's and Broncho's and JT's sitting there side by side
with the factory Moroney sticker's on them.

I'm like a kid in a candy store when I am there... sampling sampling..

Of course, recently fewer new vehicles sitting in the lot.

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, when I got my Jeep a month ago I found the wave is one of my favorite parts. My wife says it's because I like to talk and interact with people. Honestly, I wave at Broncos too. I just like saying hi.
Sponsored