Sponsored

Anyone done cooling system upgrades? (2.0 specific)

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Didn't take any pictures, but the cold case radiator is much thicker than the stock unit. I will say the install is a pain in the butt. No wonder we have cooling issues under high loads, the stack of coolers in front of the radiator on these 2.0ts is dense. Power steering, intercooler, ac condenser, and tranny cooler. With as tight as the front is, this is a time consuming chore for sure. The pipes and houses around both sides, power steering pump on one side and steering box on the other make removing the fan shroud and radiator nearly impossible. Air box and intake, headlights, grill, cross braces, and a multitude of hoses and electrical connectors all have to go to even have a shot. The spring type lower radiator hose clamp was a frustrating nightmare until I gave up and ran to the hardware store and replaced it with a screw style clamp. While the grill was off after I got it all back together, ran to the car wash and it was still flowing chocolate milk out of all the other coolers for a good 5 minutes of pressure washing. The dirt built up in the old radiator was likely half the problem, but with our narrow grills and the stack of coolers in front, you'd likely have to dismantle the thing to get it clean anyway. We have a short roadtrip up to the Sierra's next weekend so we shall see if it will let me accelerate up hill at 80+ without trying to shoot past the high 230's. FYI it disables the cruise control and derates the power if it hits 243ā°. Hopefully it's sorted now or I'll be looking for a gladiator grill in sting gray next.
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone done cooling system upgrades? (2.0 specific) 246B24AB-F06E-49EC-9296-24870D797322

^^^ The above is one of the main reasons, that the Gladiators engine cooling system is superior to the JLā€™s. 850 watt cooling fan motor, plus a 240 amp alternator to help power it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone done cooling system upgrades? (2.0 specific) 246B24AB-F06E-49EC-9296-24870D797322

^^^ The above is one of the main reasons, that the Gladiators engine cooling system is superior to the JLā€™s. 850 watt cooling fan motor, plus a 240 amp alternator to help power it.
If your temps creep up at low speeds, a more powerful fan will help. Iā€™ve never had an issue with the 2.0t cooling there, even wheeling in 120Ā° AZ heat with the AC cranked. A larger fan will do absolutely nothing at speed, which is the only place our cooling system has seemed deficient in 60k miles. Only 2 things really help cooling at speed in my experience, larger/ more efficient radiators like the cold case, and more air through the radiator which a fan wonā€™t do at freeway speed. I think this is where the gladiators wider/more open grill would be a benefit.

7c102c600853ce38121

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 EU JLUR
Guys, I would like to understand this problem. You're saying that 220F (~105C) is a problematic value? Who says its a bad thing?

Reactions: J0E

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Guys, I would like to understand this problem. You're saying that 220F (~105C) is a problematic value? Who says its a bad thing?
220ā° would be fine if that was peak, pulling hard on an uphill grade the temps keep climbing. Mine has hit 243ā° and shut off the cruise control a couple times, which is why the cold case radiator went in yesterday. If I'm trying to pass a semi going up Donner pass, I would like my cooling system to keep up?

Sponsored

7c102c600853ce38121

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 EU JLUR
Uh, I never seen anything like it, in my case cooling system performs in a way, that 108-109C are momentary and fan drives it lower efficiently. And I've spent a month in a hot climate zone, around 33-34 in a shade.

Reactions: J0E

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

From what I've read, the 2.0 already comes with the 850W fan.

OP
OP

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Itā€™s already been posted that the 2.0 has the same 850w fan as the gladiator.

220 is not a problem; the problem is itā€™s not capable of holding 220 under heavy load, especially at high altitude.

Naturally aspirated engines lose power at altitude, so a corresponding loss of cooling capacity is OK. The turbos do NOT lose power, but the radiator loses capacity. Thatā€™s the issue.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
From what I've read, the 2.0 already comes with the 850W fan.
Itā€™s already been posted that the 2.0 has the same 850w fan as the gladiator.

220 is not a problem; the problem is itā€™s not capable of holding 220 under heavy load, especially at high altitude.

Naturally aspirated engines lose power at altitude, so a corresponding loss of cooling capacity is OK. The turbos do NOT lose power, but the radiator loses capacity. Thatā€™s the issue.
Thank you both, for the Info.. šŸ‘ I keep learning about the 2.0ā€¦

OP
OP

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR

Sponsored

AOBE

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR 2.0L
Occupation
Self Employed
Not sure if this has been suggested, I've used Redline Water Wetter for years and it works well to lower operating temperatures. Had over heating issues with an off road vehicle, added water wetter and it was enough of a difference to solve the over heating 100%.
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80204-Water-Wetter/dp/B000CPI5ZK

PunksJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I too am curious out Redline Water Wetter. I could fine nothing online about specific compatibility with Mopar OAT specification MS.90032 coolant but did select my exact vehicle from Redline's vehicle selector and it says it is compatible. Most everyone who uses this product say it works.

Redline Water Wetter.jpg

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
Redline's water wetter and Purple Ice by Royal Purple are both worth considering.

Someone alluded to this earlier: Take your grill off and clean all your coolers by spraying through them. They suck up mud and dust enough greatly decrease cooling capacity. It cost nothing and it will really surprise you about how much comes out.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Here's a summary of some cooling options and information based on my own research.

The new 2021+ JL 2.0s already use the gladiator style grill with wider openings.
The 2.0s already use the more powerful cooling fan shared with the gladiator. See the part here

Aftermarket parts.

1. Radiators
- Coldcase Radiator
- Mishimoto performance transmission cooler/radiator

2. Larger Fluid Capacities (which helps cooling)
- PPE Larger engine oil pan
- PPE Larger transmission pan

Would love to get feedback from folks who has installed some/all of these aftermarket parts and if it made a difference.
Once my 60k powertrain warranty is up iā€™m going to be wanting to get some cooling mods done. Has anyone ran the cold case radiator yet?

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Playing around with the AC controls yesterday I will say the trail speed issue could be corrected with some tweaks to the fan speed settings. Ambient 98 in the high desert, AC off itā€™s into the 22x range regularly. Cycling the fan between low and high.

Turn the AC on, same conditions and the fan speed is higher -in the midrange- and the engine is maintained constantly in the 19x range. Completely counterintuitive that running the AC keeps the engine cooler, but there we are.
The AC condenser is in front of the radiator. Running the AC reduces the cooling capacity. That's the problem with uncontrolled experiments. Maybe the computer is smart enough to run the fan at high. Use the Tazer for cooldown mode.

EDIT: Several other have reported with AC the radiator runs cooler, from additional fan. But that's when it's in the 22x range. If you're above 240, turn off the AC, stop, use Tazer 2,000 RPM idle to cool down.

Not sure if this has been suggested, I've used Redline Water Wetter for years and it works well to lower operating temperatures. Had over heating issues with an off road vehicle, added water wetter and it was enough of a difference to solve the over heating 100%.
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-80204-Water-Wetter/dp/B000CPI5ZK
I prefer double wetter snake oil (DWSN) , which cools 60 degrees, twice the RWW. And DWSN has double the placebo effect (DPE), improves traction and articulation.

I wonder if the radiator is defective and not flowing well.
Sponsored