OP
Truckn

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon V6 6spd Manual || 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd Manual
Hey All its been a long time...

I'll give a quick update.

It's now 10 months I've had my 2021 JLUR and 10k miles and I still have the hiccup. I tried using the Tazer to fully turn off traction control and it did not help.

I suspect, as someone mentioned way early on that this is a VVT thing.

I have since done the exhaust delete and it seems to have drawn attention to the hiccup (louder) but no harm.

I'm just used to it now.

However the rough idle I mentioned in the original post has gone away. I think it was after I changed the oil...

For future onlookers, don't worry about it, it's not going to hurt anything, just consider it one of the quirks that makes our Jeeps unique.

If you really hate it, I suspect a tune would resolve it but void your warranty.

[Jeep Wave]
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

It's now 10 months I've had my 2021 JLUR and 10k miles and I still have the hiccup. I tried using the Tazer to fully turn off traction control and it did not help.

I have since done the exhaust delete and it seems to have drawn attention to the hiccup (louder) but no harm.

I'm just used to it now.

However the rough idle I mentioned in the original post has gone away. I think it was after I changed the oil...

For future onlookers, don't worry about it, it's not going to hurt anything, just consider it one of the quirks that makes our Jeeps unique.

If you really hate it, I suspect a tune would resolve it but void your warranty.

[Jeep Wave]

I've been trying to ignore the hiccup or hesitation in the low rpm range of my 3.6 auto since it was new. I think it's the cam timing as well. My annoyance is probably most noticable when in a large busy parking lot, trying to go slow, (literally mall crawling). The engine isn't happy running just above idle. It hesitates, bucks a little and loves to jump up to a higher power if fed just a little more skinny pedal.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link

[snip]

I have a 2021 with 6 speed and Livernois tune. I have had this hesitation since the Jeep was new. For me it happens in lower gears when the throttle is just off idle and trying to cruise at a steady speed (like in a parking lot or heading down the trail off road). There is a sudden deceleration every 3-4 seconds. It's regular as clockwork and extremely annoying.

I mentioned this to Andy @Livernois Motorsports and he said he would look into it next time they had a 3.6 in the shop. But for now it does not appear a tune fixes the problem.

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
2021 6-speed Willy with the 3.6 no e-torque, 5k miles. I've probably noticed this hiccup maybe 5 or 6 times total, not enough to put a trend to it that I could say "it happens when XYZ..." But I've definitely noticed it, not enough to worry, I just found this thread by accident.

I pretty much always drive with TC off, old habit from my JK when the TC was overly active and would activate while shifting and make for really bumpy shifts, so maybe that's why I don't feel it as often/regularly as others (even thought I see the TC connection was semi-busted).

Just FYI, following in case this becomes an easy fix.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's almost like it's a big cam engine down low, but without the 'rump-te-rump' idle.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

I'm just used to it now.

[Jeep Wave]
I've been living with it. Doesn't happen all the time, but I notice it around 2k rpm. It's definitely not the clutch or 'torque converter' (don't have one). It's the factory tune. It seems to only happen cruising in town. When I drive it harder, it's not there. 20k on my 2020 now.

Fatalis12B

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 6sp MT JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2021 with 6 speed and Livernois tune. I have had this hesitation since the Jeep was new. For me it happens in lower gears when the throttle is just off idle and trying to cruise at a steady speed (like in a parking lot or heading down the trail off road). There is a sudden deceleration every 3-4 seconds. It's regular as clockwork and extremely annoying.

I mentioned this to Andy @Livernois Motorsports and he said he would look into it next time they had a 3.6 in the shop. But for now it does not appear a tune fixes the problem.
How are you liking the tune? I am considering it and hoping it will get rid of the super annoying artificial RPM's. I am aware of the dreaded "Rev Hang" but, my RPM's seem to be all over the place all of the time...If I slip it into Neutral and take my foot off of the gas as I coast to a stop light...the engine will stay at 1200ish RPM's until I stop rolling...THEN it will drop to idle. Sometimes, in 1st or 2nd putt-putting around a corner or pulling out of a drive, if I put it in Neutral to wait for traffic before engaging the gear and driving...the Jeep will actually go from Idleish and "Rev" up to 1500-1700ish RPMS without any go fast pedal input what so ever...crazy annoying. AND, I get the, what seems like, lack of fuel "Hiccup" as well.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
How are you liking the tune? I am considering it and hoping it will get rid of the super annoying artificial RPM's. I am aware of the dreaded "Rev Hang" but, my RPM's seem to be all over the place all of the time...If I slip it into Neutral and take my foot off of the gas as I coast to a stop light...the engine will stay at 1200ish RPM's until I stop rolling...THEN it will drop to idle. Sometimes, in 1st or 2nd putt-putting around a corner or pulling out of a drive, if I put it in Neutral to wait for traffic before engaging the gear and driving...the Jeep will actually go from Idleish and "Rev" up to 1500-1700ish RPMS without any go fast pedal input what so ever...crazy annoying. AND, I get the, what seems like, lack of fuel "Hiccup" as well.
I have only run it with E85 in the tank and I love it. I have a fairly light JLR with manual transmission and never had any complaints with power from this engine - it was sports car quick if you rev the engine up. With the tune there is a significant increase in low-mid rpm torque which is where I normally drive. It is smooth and strong and the 3k rpm dip in torque is GONE.

I still get the artificial rpm's you mention, but only when the engine is cold. I think the tune has made that worse, it will race up to 3-4,000 rpm when rolling in neutral with foot off the gas. I suspect it is an emissions thing trying to get the cats up to working temperature so it doesn't bother me. As soon as the engine warms up it goes away.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Manual transmission here I also experience the “dip” in 3rd gear every so often. Now I know I’m not crazy, thanks for posting.

Sponsored

jcr97703

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR ( ordered 9/24/19), 2016 Porsche Cayenne, 2017 Audi e-tron
My 2020 3.6 manual has had The hiccup (always 3rd gear at about 2800 rpm) since new. 15k miles now. It is mildly annoying but I’ve learned to live with it, especially since it seems many other manual trans owners experience it too so it is “normal”. I’ve tried different octanes, fuel brands, etc. but it makes no difference. I’ve had all the recalls performed. Otherwise the vehicle has been flawless. I wish gears 3-6 weren’t so tall but that’s a whole different topic.

ronrodriguez114

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I have this same exact behavior. 2020 3.6 manual, "hiccup" around 2800 rpm in 3rd. Mostly happens when cruising and I want to accelerate. I

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
18 manual ...Same Here also in 3rd sometimes 2nd when slowly navigating. Have had it since I bought it and still notice it but figured it was software related(idle is solid though)...anyway like others have written thanks to the OP and everyone else confirming "we are not alone" lol

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
just found this thread, and have the same hiccup thing - reproducible at the same spot in my daily drive in 3rd or 4th gear at 45-50mph (I have the 3.6 non-e-torque with MT)

curious if anyone with this problem has also noticed severe exhaust smell when putting the engine under heavier loads (e.g. climbing long steady hill on highway) in 3rd and 4th gears? wondering if these are related. it's almost a clutch burning smell (under high loads, not the hiccup) but there is no noticeable increase in rpm at a steady speed (50-65mph).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
just found this thread, and have the same hiccup thing - reproducible at the same spot in my daily drive in 3rd or 4th gear at 45-50mph (I have the 3.6 non-e-torque with MT)

curious if anyone with this problem has also noticed severe exhaust smell when putting the engine under heavier loads (e.g. climbing long steady hill on highway) in 3rd and 4th gears? wondering if these are related. it's almost a clutch burning smell (under high loads, not the hiccup) but there is no noticeable increase in rpm at a steady speed (50-65mph).
Some of that exhaust smell has much do do with the air flow around a boxy Jeep, especially with the top down where the air moves forward from the rear to fill in the low pressure area created behind the windshield in the passenger compartment. The flat and almost straight up windshield exacerbates it. Every Wrangler I've owned exhibits this no matter the year or engine.
Sponsored