3.6L "Hiccup"

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
The 3k hiccup isn't a hiccup. Have a look at the dyno maps. All of them have a huge dip around 3k. This is just the factory tune.
Sponsored

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Ok, keep us posted. I don't know where I read it but I saw somewhere that the update brings the engine ECM to the latest firmware, as well as the recall program. If that's true, then maybe there is a chance it will address that for you.
yeah hoping it will fix both issues for me with the recall update.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
yeah hoping it will fix both issues for me with the recall update.
Greetings ChromeToaster, glad to hear you are working with your dealer for this concern. Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we are just a PM away.

Rob
Jeep Cares

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, keep us posted. I don't know where I read it but I saw somewhere that the update brings the engine ECM to the latest firmware, as well as the recall program. If that's true, then maybe there is a chance it will address that for you.
Got the dealer to easily replicate it and then they gave me a cop-out and tried saying its from my "exhaust which is beat up" but it has zero damage to it... Told them its done this since day one so then they brought up that it looked aftermarket... Anyways it still does it after the new recall was performed. I might take it somewhere else but I may have to reinstall the stock exhaust if that's gonna be the same cop-out used by them all. If it was the exhaust it would make the noise at the same rpm in each gear not just 3rd and it never stumbles lurches or hiccups except in 3rd gear hitting 44mph. I understand the stock tune has a weird curve around 3krpm but that doesn't explain a power surge at 44mph and only in 3rd gear with usually light acceleration to reproduce.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Got the dealer to easily replicate it and then they gave me a cop-out and tried saying its from my "exhaust which is beat up" but it has zero damage to it... Told them its done this since day one so then they brought up that it looked aftermarket... Anyways it still does it after the new recall was performed. I might take it somewhere else but I may have to reinstall the stock exhaust if that's gonna be the same cop-out used by them all. If it was the exhaust it would make the noise at the same rpm in each gear not just 3rd and it never stumbles lurches or hiccups except in 3rd gear hitting 44mph. I understand the stock tune has a weird curve around 3krpm but that doesn't explain a power surge at 44mph and only in 3rd gear with usually light acceleration to reproduce.
I can't imagine how the exhaust would have anything to do with it. If you were close by, I'd give you my original exhaust to use to get them to do it.

Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
regardless it shouldnt hiccup period. its a waste of time to take it in because they are going to say cant replicate it and either way their is no fix until a new tune comes out.

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't imagine how the exhaust would have anything to do with it. If you were close by, I'd give you my original exhaust to use to get them to do it.
Appreciate the offer, I do have my stock exhaust still I'm just too lazy to mess with it at this point. I might try another dealer and if they say the same excuse I'll consider putting the stock exhaust back on.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Appreciate the offer, I do have my stock exhaust still I'm just too lazy to mess with it at this point. I might try another dealer and if they say the same excuse I'll consider putting the stock exhaust back on.
I have had the muffler delete since 1k miles and still have the hiccup. I run 90 octane ethanol-free and still have the hiccup (3.6; 6-speed). ESS on/off, traction control on/off, soft top off, 4wd high/low all with the hiccup. I have just learned to live with it.

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had the muffler delete since 1k miles and still have the hiccup. I run 90 octane ethanol-free and still have the hiccup (3.6; 6-speed). ESS on/off, traction control on/off, soft top off, 4wd high/low all with the hiccup. I have just learned to live with it.
That's essentially where I'm at, I'm not totally confident it's normal but it's somewhat reassuring that it's not just mine if that makes any sense. I will just live with it as I have for the last 11k miles.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
2018 here with 25k miles. Coming home I thought I had a flat tire at one point the engine was running rough enough to shake the jeep. Only happened while under load. Got home and idling is a bit rough but soon as giving it gas it gets worse.

No engine codes so far. Setting appointment tomorrow to have looked at

update: bad fuel injector

Last edited:

Sponsored

d_easy01

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
Occupation
Command Control Operator (USAF)
That's essentially where I'm at, I'm not totally confident it's normal but it's somewhat reassuring that it's not just mine if that makes any sense. I will just live with it as I have for the last 11k miles.
That's basically where I'm at right now. I've taken it in over and over again with zero positive results. Even after duplicating it for the tech, they had nothing for me. My 36k warranty has now run out and I'm stuck with this hiccup.

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 6spd JLUR. UD60s & 40s
Hey guys, just found this thread while trying to see if anyone is experiencing the same issue as me. Just like you guys I'm experiencing a "hesitation", "hiccup", whatever you want to call it, in 3rd gear.

My Jeep is a 2021 JLUR 6 speed, built in May. I'll be watching this thread for updates to see if anyone gets Jeep to own up on this and fix this.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I skipped to this page after reading OP initial post.
He's putting 91 octane in and getting a rough idle etc....Jeep calls for 87 correct?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I skipped to this page after reading OP initial post.
He's putting 91 octane in and getting a rough idle etc....Jeep calls for 87 correct?
Correct. But 91 should do no harm and in fact make it slighly smoother, although I don't personally feel that with mine. A Pentastar design engineer explained why and it made sense, but I'm afraid to try and re-explain it because I'd get some details wrong.
Sponsored