Sponsored

2 Door vs 4 Door

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It's all relative. My DD is an S2000, so a 2-door jeep seems like it has at least 10x the storage. It's funny because our JL's weekend duty is the grocery-getter (otherwise it wouldn't get driven much).
Like you my JLR is my most practical vehicle. My other cars are sports cars. Chicago bumper to bumper traffic sucks. Can't really enjoy them much anymore. Love them when the weather is nice, on road trips and on a track though.

I am the opposite as far as daily driving. I used to daily drive one of my sports cars all the time until I bought the JLR. Now, 99% of the time I reach for the JLR key. My JLR has become my daily driver. I think the JLR is more stress free in the city. I don't worry about pot holes, dings, scratches. The added height is nice to see ahead in traffic.

Owned a S2000 by the way. Loved it!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
2 doors take less time, effort and need less storage space when you want to go door less.
Roughly about 1/2. :)

4 doors look dorky as hell when they try to cheat this and they pull just the front doors off.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
2 doors take less time, effort and need less storage space when you want to go door less.
Roughly about 1/2. :)

4 doors look dorky as hell when they try to cheat this and they pull just the front doors off.
I have to agree with you on this, lol. All four doors off... or just leave em on.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
As a 2dr owner let me play Devil’s advocate: cornering a wet road in my Jeep feels anything but nimble. The wheel hop can be very unsettling! (Nimble as hell in the mall parking lot, though!)
Nimble, meaning able to get into tight places, easy to turn, general maneuvering. Definitely not anything at speed, and not wet either, lol.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Nimble, meaning able to get into tight places, easy to turn, general maneuvering. Definitely not anything at speed, and not wet either, lol.
upload_2020-3-5_14-31-32.gif

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Pchmotoho

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, misc old cars
But the question was:

And my answer was the Jeepser. It was literally designed to be a sports car.

From Wikipedia's page about the Jeepster:
After World War II, Jeep trademark owner, Willys, began producing and marketing the "CJ" (for Civilian Jeep) to farmers, foresters, and others with similar utilitarian needs. It also began producing the Jeep Wagon/Panel Utility/Pick-up in 1946, and the Jeep Truck in 1947.

Seeing a gap in their product lineup, Willys developed the Jeepster to crossover from their "utilitarian" trucks to the passenger automobile market. Willys-Overland lacked the machinery to form deep-drawn fenders or complicated shapes, so the vehicle had to use a simple and slab-sided design. Industrial designer Brooks Stevens styled a line of postwar vehicles for Willys using a common platform that included the Jeep pickup and station wagon, as well as a sporty two-door open car that he envisioned as a sports car for veterans of World War II.
Fair enough. I should have said Wrangler and not Jeep. As far as the Jeepster goes though envisioning and actually accomplishing are two separate things.

My buddy and I many years ago got a good laugh looking at one of the high end auction catalogs with regards to some sort of Jaguar supercar that was made im guessing 20 years ago. The description read, Jaguar envisioned a v10 (or perhaps it was V12 but due to whatever the car ended up with a production V6.

Back on topic, I have a 4 door because with 2 young boys a 2 door would have been a terrible choice at this point in my life. Yes the 2 door looks better. I did get a stick though. All my cars have to be 3 pedals (exception Raptor, auto only).

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I pull just my front doors off all the time, you guys can lick my butt...lol.

IMO a 2 door looks like it should be dwarf tossed onto a dirty mattress. You guys are driving around in the short bus.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
We just traded in a 2018 2-door JK Willy's edition for a 2020 JLU Rubicon. The 2 door Willys was very nimble and maneuverable. The turning radius was excellent and it was fun on the trail. It is a pain in the ass getting in and out of the back seat and the storage in the back was lacking.

So far, we absolutely love the 4 door JLU Rubicon. It is not as nimble or maneuverable as a 2 door, takes more garage space and its length could have a few draw backs on the trail. But overall drive-ability, feeling planted, nicer ride, added storage and 2 extra doors are a huge benefit. With a small lift a larger tires, its length becomes less of an issue on the trail, with the exception of turning radius.

I am a fan of the 2 door JLR's as well, but as an overland style wheeler and daily driver, the 4 door is hard to beat.

Just my 2 cents.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The 2 door can do the stagecoach thing too.

20190907_115105.jpg

I think it looks a little less dorky than the 4 doors do in that set up too.
28449d1294371454-taking-only-front-doors-off-your-unlimited-imgp6554-copy.jpg
You want me to use the same door as my chauffeur‽ What am I, a heathen? /s

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
The question you first need to ask is what do you want to do with it? If you are going to mall crawl it then it doesn't matter.
If you want to take it out on the trails and rocks then...
2 door more nimble, 4 door can be more stable.
2 door less break over angle, 4 door more break over angle.
2 door no sleep in, 4 door sleep comfortable in.
2 door no haul as much gear, 4 door more gear.
2 door can't tow as much as 4 door.
Sponsored