jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
IMG_4348.JPG
The 2dr / 3.6 is an absolute joy to drive on and off the trail. I've got a 2 door rubi and there's just something special about it. The 20 inches you save on wheelbase vs the 4 door really affords you some serious trail performance stock for stock. I've put 7000 mostly-trail miles on mine in the 6 months I've had it and it's by far the most fun vehicle I've ever owned. I've seen maybe three other 2dr JL rubicons in the time I've had mine.

I would highly, highly recommend the 3.6 / auto combo over the 2.0. Drive both, but the 3.6 has a much more appropriate muscular, sporty tone to it with a longer powerband. I found the 2.0 to cheapen the feel of the entire vehicle for me. Everyone's opinion on this seems to differ, so get a drive in both.

Not the biggest deal, but I also do a bunch of my trail travels with a buddy who's got a JLU 3.6/auto and it seems like he's always an extra (1/8th) line on the fuel gauge fuller than I am when we fill up at the end of a trail. The 2 door seems to eat gas like nobody's business, but it's really just the ~4ish gallons you're missing over the 4door's slightly larger tank.

As for trunk space, if you're single or at least don't have kids you'll likely be fine. With all seats up the back trunk space is tiny, enough for 3 large backpacks and some misc stuff. Fold the back seat down and forward and you've got a similar amount of space to a 4dr JLU trunk (except you can't carry backseat passengers simultaneously). Take the rear seat out entirely and you have tons of space.

Sponsored

Woodsrider

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
I have had 3 Jeeps in my life plus drove some in the military years ago. I like the 2 doors much better. I have a 2019 JL now. I had a 13 JK and I had a CJ in the early eighties. I drove the 4 doors and they are cool but don't feel anything like the 2 doors to me. They feel big and clunky instead of small and nimble to me. Now if I had 2 boys that played sports I would consider one for sure.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
The 2 door has less range due to the smaller gas tank. My 3.6 JL Rubicon range is normally around 270 miles when full, I only saw a predicted range above 300 miles once in the 12000 miles I've driven it. If the 4 door tank is about 4 gallons larger, that is about another 75 miles of range. The 2 door is more maneuverable. The 2 door is easier to park, especially if you need to parallel park on the street, also easier to find a spot (over a foot shorter than a Honda Civic). The 2 door has a lower tow rating, may not matter to you (2000lbs vs 3500lbs I believe). The 4 door is probably less bouncy on the road due to the longer wheelbase. If you go for the premium sound system, the 2 door sub is in the floor of the trunk, vs the side for the 4 door, which has a small storage area where the sub is for the 2 door. The 2 door has the classic Jeep lines, and you probably won't have to drive a bunch of people around, especially if they have crawled in the back. I've been thinking about just pulling my rear seat out, as many others have done for more cargo room. The 4 door is more expensive, about $3000, but if you need a 4 door that shouldn't matter.

My 2 door is a 2nd vehicle. I would not recommend a 2 door if you have kids, or frequently travel with dogs. If I were buying again, I would still get a two door. Even if I was using a Jeep as my only vehicle, I would probably go for the 2 door over the 4 door, but I don't have any kids or dogs.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
All my friends and my daughter have 2 doors. I have 4 now but have had three 2 doors. It's my DD and haul friends around so 4 dr is a no brainer now. Everyone with a 2 dr has taken their back seat out, including my daughter. Otherwise there is zero room ( or close to it) Jeeze, can't even put groceries behind that 2 dr back seat. If I were single or this was my back up/ play only truck , I would do 2 door. Just love the look. My 4 dr is a close second. No bad choices! Just do it!

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Another think I forgot. If you want aftermarket products specific to the 2 door or the 4 door, the 4 door aftermarket will be developed and released first, and the 2 door aftermarket products will be released later, or may not be developed at all. And that could be because 2 doors are a much smaller percentage of sales, or the storage room just isn't there. Not a huge factor, especially if you want to stay stock.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
It's personal preference/opinion...

The only pro I see to a 2dr is they're cheaper. The 4dr looks better in my opinion. Even if I didn't have family/friends I like to take with me, I'd still buy a 4dr. I've never been anywhere where the 4dr length is really going to be an issue off roading. Most of the pics people post in here are of open spaces or trails big enough that the shorter 2dr isn't really a benefit... Again, it's personal preference/opinion. So OP, go test drive both and see what one makes you happy!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Otherwise there is zero room ( or close to it) Jeeze, can't even put groceries behind that 2 dr back seat.
It's all relative. My DD is an S2000, so a 2-door jeep seems like it has at least 10x the storage. It's funny because our JL's weekend duty is the grocery-getter (otherwise it wouldn't get driven much).

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The 4 door is better looking
No. It’s definitely not. (Maybe young people think so because that’s all they’re used to seeing?)

upload_2020-3-2_20-45-0.jpeg

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
No. It’s definitely not. (Maybe young people think so because that’s all they’re used to seeing?)

upload_2020-3-2_20-45-0.jpeg
I think it depends on when you first got 'into' Jeeps. I'm just guessing, but it seems like the JK crowd seems to be pretty pro 4-door V6, whereas if you were around during the TJ & earlier era, a Jeep is 2-doors and an inline is OK.
Sponsored