First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I searched, couldn't find anything. I think I made it up.

I've always wished there was an +/- ammeter on the BSG. It would be very interesting to see what it's doing in real-time. It should be possible to retrofit... with enough time/knowledge.
That’s beyond me.

I’ll take my extra 70 lb ft under 1500 rpms thank you. lol
Sponsored

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
So is it like this (2020 JLU Sahara 2.0):
1. All Jeeps 2.0: standard 12v battery
2. All Jeeps 2.0 with ESS (with or without eTorque): Extra 12v battery low/right side; std 12v battery
3. All Jeeps 2.0 with eTorque have 48v battery, std 12v battery, and aux 12v battery if it also has ESS

Is this the case in general? So a 2.0 with eTorque AND ESS would have 3 batteries? Also, exactly where under the Jeep is the 48v eTorque battery located? Thanks!!!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
So is it like this (2020 JLU Sahara 2.0):
1. All Jeeps 2.0: standard 12v battery
2. All Jeeps 2.0 with ESS (with or without eTorque): Extra 12v battery low/right side; std 12v battery
3. All Jeeps 2.0 with eTorque have 48v battery, std 12v battery, and aux 12v battery if it also has ESS

Is this the case in general? So a 2.0 with eTorque AND ESS would have 3 batteries? Also, exactly where under the Jeep is the 48v eTorque battery located? Thanks!!!
No, ESS does not mean an extra 12V battery. ESS (Engine Start Stop) technically exists on all JLs I believe (except for the Magneto).

- All US JLs except for the Magneto get one 12V battery (although I'm unsure about the specifics of the 392 & 3.0)
- The second battery is either 48V for eTorque, 600V for 4xe, or 12V with none of these options.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
It is a little bit of a mess keeping track since Jeep made these changes in only 3 model years.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
No, ESS does not mean an extra 12V battery. ESS (Engine Start Stop) technically exists on all JLs I believe (except for the Magneto).

- All US JLs except for the Magneto get one 12V battery (although I'm unsure about the specifics of the 392 & 3.0)
- The second battery is either 48V for eTorque, 600V for 4xe, or 12V with none of these options.
One way to know if it has the 48v etorque or not is to listen for the constant engine fan noise in certain high air temps or hard offroad situations.... Lots of people complain about the engine fan noise in the Non-eTorque setup for both the v6 & Turbo... you can hear them coming a mile away when off roading . They sound like a fan boat on wheels... It must be miserable to hear anything inside.
Another fun fact, the eTorque system helps to reduce engine heat given the power assistance from the 48v power inverter.
More stuff to like about the turbos and etorque, better in high elevation power, no lag in power anywhere, better mpg everywhere and motor runs cooler always...

Last edited:

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
This is how I found out (picture of big label on battery wires), bummer. I disappear deep in the mountains sometime where you don't see anyone for hours or at all. Thanks to this forum, I need a jumper and to put it with my camping gear.

IMG_0498.jpg

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I don't think you are correct. Nearly ALL responses indicate that the ESS has the second small 12v battery under the fuse box (or std 12v if it has been moved back near the fire wall.).

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don't think you are correct. Nearly ALL responses indicate that the ESS has the second small 12v battery under the fuse box (or std 12v if it has been moved back near the fire wall.).
All have ESS. Those with Belt Starter Generator and 48v lithium battery (eTorque) do NOT have a second 12V battery.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Further confusion is how jeep will label engines as either ess or etorque.

Etorque == 48v
Ess means either etorque generator (48v) or aux 12v and traditional starter only...no generator.

Inside the buttons are labeled the same.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I should have stated this better. As @DadJokes pointed out, ESS is on every JL, including the ones with eTorque. ESS is just a description of the function, not the hardware (it stands for Engine Start Stop).

For example, my eTorque JL has the ESS function and only has one 12V battery, and one 48V battery.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Lets try it this way:

Start stop system is handled by the second small 12V battery on non Etorque Wranglers (underneath main 12V battery in the wheel well on passenger side)

Start stop system is handled by the second large 48V battery on the Etorque Wranglers (underneath the jeep, towards the back encased in a metal suitcase)

No Wrangler has 3 batteries.

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lets try it this way:

Start stop system is handled by the second small 12V battery on non Etorque Wranglers (underneath main 12V battery in the wheel well on passenger side)

Start stop system is handled by the second large 48V battery on the Etorque Wranglers (underneath the jeep, towards the back encased in a metal suitcase)

No Wrangler has 3 batteries.
Thank you for the clear explanation that ESS with eTorque is handled by the 48v eTorque battery and omits the 2nd small 12v battery (and the location of the 48V battery).

Follow-up question with regard to getting 12v from the 48v for ESS: is the 48v battery a group of 4 12v batteries and ESS is fed from one of those, or is there a step-down voltage transformer involved to yield 12v to ESS from the 48v battery?

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Thank you for the clear explanation that ESS with eTorque is handled by the 48v eTorque battery and omits the 2nd small 12v battery (and the location of the 48V battery).

Follow-up question with regard to getting 12v from the 48v for ESS: is the 48v battery a group of 4 12v batteries and ESS is fed from one of those, or is there a step-down voltage transformer involved to yield 12v to ESS from the 48v battery?
Internally is unknown, but the only external connections provide 48v only. There is no documented or authorized way to gain access to the internal cells, and doing so would be a disaster.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It’s one liquid-cooled battery. (Which accounts for one of the 2.0’s three independent cooling systems)

Part # 68381513AA
MSRP: $1,570

The 2.0 & 3.6’s 48V systems are actually called Eco-Drive and made by Continental. FCA just purchases it and rebrands it “eTorque”
Sponsored