jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Long due update on this post.

The welding on my Jeep somehow wiped out my program, if that’s possible.

All the local dealers said my alternator/MGU was not covered under warranty. To not pay dealer rates the Jeep went to a local Jeep shop. They determined the alternator/MGU was not working. All dealers said it wasn’t a warranty item so we purchased a new alternator/MGU. It did not fix the issue so the Jeep was towed to a dealer.

The dealer “flashed” the Jeep and all systems started working correctly.

I tried to get the alternator/MGU warranted. All dealers and JeepCares even with my VIN claim the Alternator/MGU is not covered. It is covered as it’s part of the emissions system and is in black and white.

So good news my Jeep works great now. Bad news Jeep and JeepCares are lame and not at all helpful. They have stopped working with me and answering my questions.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Long due update on this post.

The welding on my Jeep somehow wiped out my program, if that’s possible.

All the local dealers said my alternator/MGU was not covered under warranty. To not pay dealer rates the Jeep went to a local Jeep shop. They determined the alternator/MGU was not working. All dealers said it wasn’t a warranty item so we purchased a new alternator/MGU. It did not fix the issue so the Jeep was towed to a dealer.

The dealer “flashed” the Jeep and all systems started working correctly.

I tried to get the alternator/MGU warranted. All dealers and JeepCares even with my VIN claim the Alternator/MGU is not covered. It is covered as it’s part of the emissions system and is in black and white.

So good news my Jeep works great now. Bad news Jeep and JeepCares are lame and not at all helpful. They have stopped working with me and answering my questions.
You could have read my post months ago, saved yourself some money, and gotten the issue resolved. It was never the MGU. The MGU produces 48V. You didn't test it correctly.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
So what is the proper procedure for welding on these things without causing issues?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
So what is the proper procedure for welding on these things without causing issues?
Not a good idea, basically.
You need to have the capability to repair it, if a problem does arise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlrusoin

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
You could have read my post months ago, saved yourself some money, and gotten the issue resolved. It was never the MGU. The MGU produces 48V. You didn't test it correctly.
I read your post and understood that unfortunately it was already at the shop past that point

OP
OP
jlrusoin

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
my alternator/MGU probably shouldn’t have been warranted. The point of my follow up was to let people know to be very careful with dealers and JeepCares. My Jeep obviously has a MGU but since alternator is in the part description they claim the part is not covered.

OP
OP
jlrusoin

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
Not a good idea, basically.
You need to have the capability to repair it, if a problem does arise.
I’m pretty handy but reflashing a program is something I don’t have tools for

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I have welded on numerous pieces of equipment with sensitive electronic systems. The trick is to ground your welding lead as close as possible to what is being welded. The current will only pass between the electrode and the ground.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I read your post and understood that unfortunately it was already at the shop past that point
When they told you why they thought, and gave you a price on the repair, why did you believe them over me?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlrusoin

jlrusoin

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
When they told you why they thought, and gave you a price on the repair, why did you believe them over me?
Did you read that it was tat point? A Time Machine would have been handy

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
mine is always around 13.5-14.4V with engine running. sounds like the voltage regulator in your alternator may be faulty
For a straight gas powered Jeep with an alternator -
There is no voltage regulator in the alternator. The PCM controls the charging rate.
That varies with temperature and SoC of the battery.
If it's cold and the battery is low, it can run up to 15 volts for 2022s and later, about 14.8 for prior years.
As the temperatures moderate and/or the battery SoC (State of Charge) increases, it can drop to as low as 12.7 volts running - or lower if it's really hot and the battery is full.

The alternator can be blown by welding - there are diodes inside.

But then this one doesn't even have an alternator. It's a starter/generator - still, can be damaged.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Here's one option. I don't know what you consider to be expensive, so I'm just passing on the link as an FYI. 👍
Wow, up to 425 amp. I'm scrapping my plan for a dual battery tray/ESS delete. I sometimes need more amps for difficult recovery than the stock 240 amp alternator can produce.

At $479 for the 370 amp unit, that's a good deal.
Sponsored