Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I bought a 2019 sport etorque used at 29k miles. Has 33k now. Sounds exactly like the sound clip. People ask me why is so loud or is it a diesel. It is embarassing. Now i am a bit concerned. To say the least.
Bring it to service and see what they say.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Heres my video, you tell me...had to link it, file too big.
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/vRhcX9YWmqp4
Dude, relax. It’s the direct injection noise. They all do that, totally normal.

A direct injection fuel system that operates at very high fuel pressures produces a rapid clicking and ticking sound that can be heard from the engine compartment.

The sound is more evident when outside the vehicle or when the hood is open. The sound is more noticeable during idle and is more frequent during a cold start, but lessens once the engine is warm.

The rapid ticking noise on cold start is the fuel pump building up high fuel pressure. When engine warmup is complete, the high pressure fuel pump will continue to click at a lower rates.

The clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing on and off under high fuel pressure. The sound is a normal characteristic of a direct injection fuel high pressure system. The noise does not indicate a need to replace the fuel pump or injectors.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Sounds like mine before it’s fully warmed up. Even after it’s warmed up it’s a noisy engine...just the nature of the beast.

comagt

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Dude, relax. It’s the direct injection noise. They all do that, totally normal.

A direct injection fuel system that operates at very high fuel pressures produces a rapid clicking and ticking sound that can be heard from the engine compartment.

The sound is more evident when outside the vehicle or when the hood is open. The sound is more noticeable during idle and is more frequent during a cold start, but lessens once the engine is warm.

The rapid ticking noise on cold start is the fuel pump building up high fuel pressure. When engine warmup is complete, the high pressure fuel pump will continue to click at a lower rates.

The clicking sound is the fuel injectors pulsing on and off under high fuel pressure. The sound is a normal characteristic of a direct injection fuel high pressure system. The noise does not indicate a need to replace the fuel pump or injectors.
You should hear my 2018 Camry 2.5L I4 motor with eight injectors. All you hear is tickity tickity tack tack tack tickity tickity tack tack tack for days. Modern injectors are noisy and the rest of a modern engine and exhaust is just getting quieter. It really amplifies the injector noises.

Sponsored

Gahooligan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
All good news. Was used to DI thanks to a BRZ but the jeep just seems a bit louder. The HP fuel pump does makes a lot of noise until it builds full pressure that's for sure! Thanks for all in this thread.!! I appreciate the opinions. I guess its time for the Diablo PCM and tune then...😁

Msteiny

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara
Hi all, new to the forum. I do have some input on the knock with my 2.0. I too thought it sounded odd however I hadn't owned a 4 banger in years. It sounded pretty much the same as the sound clip and would go away after warming up. It never got worse until.....I was leaving the house one day and it finally got worse and in that minute of noise the engine died and now the rod sticking through the block tells me it was a bad noise. Still under warranty getting a new engine, turbo, and computer.

image000000.jpg

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Hi all, new to the forum. I do have some input on the knock with my 2.0. I too thought it sounded odd however I hadn't owned a 4 banger in years. It sounded pretty much the same as the sound clip and would go away after warming up. It never got worse until.....I was leaving the house one day and it finally got worse and in that minute of noise the engine died and now the rod sticking through the block tells me it was a bad noise. Still under warranty getting a new engine, turbo, and computer.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T knocking noise image000000
After how many miles? Seems like most of us can’t hit 100k without issues

Razvan_JLU

First Name
Razvan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE JLUR
My jeep had all the knocking noise at cold start-ups since new, went to the dealer at the 15k service, updated some software modules and noises are now gone. Dunno in US, mine is an export Rubi in Europe.

Sponsored

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
put your foot 2 the floor with the motor running when it blows call the dealer 2 pick it up
I would tread carefully here.They just may decide to read the entire computer data and you may end up falling into the pit yourself.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2021 2.0 sounds just like the OP's, but only during cold start ups. Sounds normal (still noisy, and not great) otherwise. Performs well. So just living with it for now.

The cold start noise seems to have gotten worse - it is only super-noticeable if I'm outside and in front of the Jeep.

It would be great if a few 2.0T owners could post their cold starts recorded from outside and in front of the Jeep.

Msteiny

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara
My 2021 2.0 sounds just like the OP's, but only during cold start ups. Sounds normal (still noisy, and not great) otherwise. Performs well. So just living with it for now.

The cold start noise seems to have gotten worse - it is only super-noticeable if I'm outside and in front of the Jeep.

It would be great if a few 2.0T owners could post their cold starts recorded from outside and in front of the Jeep.
Yeah, Sorry I can give you a sound on the knocking I too once had. How about a visual? Here is the inside of my 2.0 oil pan after 40,000 miles. This is the carnage from the connecting rod sticking out of block as I posted earlier. Jeep still at the dealership getting new engine, almost 2 months now.

Missing bearing cap bolt found.

14536.jpeg

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yeah, Sorry I can give you a sound on the knocking I too once had. How about a visual? Here is the inside of my 2.0 oil pan after 40,000 miles. This is the carnage from the connecting rod sticking out of block as I posted earlier. Jeep still at the dealership getting new engine, almost 2 months now.

Missing bearing cap bolt found.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T knocking noise 14536

Ouch!!!

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
Oh man.....I have a 2.0T on order and this isn't confidence inspiring. I'm coming from owning multiple 4runners that are bulletproof. I'll def be shopping around for an extended warranty within the first year. Sounds like it'll be a good investment.
Sponsored