Sponsored

Engine Knocking in 2.0 Turbo?

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
I've been trying to find out what the 2 liter engine sounds like, and I've only found a couple video clips: , . In both cases you hear it best while it is effectively rock crawling. Am I correct in hearing an engine knocking sound? Is this to be expected? I thought maybe it was banging rocks but in the short clip I see no evidence of that. I've yet to rock crawl, so does this happen in the pentastar? If anyone has any links to the sounds of the 2.0 I'd love to hear/watch them.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
When rock crawling the suspension makes all kinds or creaks and noises. It's normal on the JK too. I doubt the engine was knocking when they were all basically raving about that engine.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
DI inline engines with turbos "knock" like a diesel because of the fuel system and valvetrain. It's normal.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Engine knock can be a problem with any turbo vehicle, which is why they typically recommend high octane fuel. Not sure about the JL though. I've enjoyed turbos before, not trying that with a first model year :)

Sponsored

Its-a-JK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK 2 door
From what I have heard about this motor is all good and that it is a variant (change is head design) of what is used in the Alfa Romeo Giulia/Stelvio . I have driven the pair of Alfa's and the motors response, power and smoothness is exceptional and has me stoked in seeing it added to the JL lineup. The exhaust note on the Alfa's is also pleasing so hopefully that will remain true for the JL.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
It's similar to the Alfa 2.0T but detuned a bit for 87 Octane. It's down about 10 hp and 11 lb/ft of torque compared to the Stelvio.

Jstarr

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94YJ, 2020 T4R TRDOR, 2017 Taco TRDOR, 2000 Tundra
Great motor except for the whining noise. Love the fuel efficiency and power that it makes, but after 3600 miles with one in the past month I have trouble living with that blower noise.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Great motor except for the whining noise. Love the fuel efficiency and power that it makes, but after 3600 miles with one in the past month I have trouble living with that blower noise.
You’ll get used to it…I wouldn’t trade it for a v6. It’s truly peppy for such a small power plant. The noise is not noticeable with the windows up….

Kristian

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon/Recon
2.0 turbo with 10:1 compression forced up to 270 HP = Premium gas.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
My 2.0l Hurricane 4 sounds more like a diesel when cold than the diesel itself does. :LOL: WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANY OTHER MOTOR - other than a Hemi :D
Sponsored