First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The 48volt isn't an "AUX" battery.

It is used as the mild hybrid battery to drive the generator. If you turn off ESS, this battery is still used to produce TQ for the engine.

If you have 2.0T, you do not have the smaller AUX Battery.
Thanks for the clarification. I am trying to understand how the new 2L turbo options work (how is the power different from my 2018)... Since I have the 48v battery I understand it produces 70ftlbs of extra torque. But the new non-hybrid Turbo and the DOHC DI Turbo say the total torque is still 295ftlbs like my 2018 Turbo. So how are they still getting the same torque numbers with no 48v battery.

I might be mixing torque numbers, I dont understand how the extra 70ftlbs is related to the total 295ftlbs that ALL turbos have.

Also am I correct to understand that the small 12V battery is just for the v6 engines and no 2L turbo has that small aux battery just the 48v.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Thanks for the clarification. I am trying to understand how the new 2L turbo options work (how is the power different from my 2018)... Since I have the 48v battery I understand it produces 70ftlbs of extra torque. But the new non-hybrid Turbo and the DOHC DI Turbo say the total torque is still 295ftlbs like my 2018 Turbo. So how are they still getting the same torque numbers with no 48v battery.

I might be mixing torque numbers, I dont understand how the extra 70ftlbs is related to the total 295ftlbs that ALL turbos have.

Also am I correct to understand that the small 12V battery is just for the v6 engines and no 2L turbo has that small aux battery just the 48v.
The 295 lb.ft. is peak torque, but the 70 lb.ft. is much lower in the rev-range. I remember reading that the eTorque boost is inactive above about 1500 RPM.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The 295 lb.ft. is peak torque, but the 70 lb.ft. is much lower in the rev-range. I remember reading that the eTorque boost is inactive above about 1500 RPM.
OK Cool, so more low end torque. Sounds like thats where we want it and need it for off road. So why if Jeep changing to non hybrid for the 2L turbo?

And what is the advantage of the new DOHC DI Turbo?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
OK Cool, so more low end torque. Sounds like thats where we want it and need it for off road. So why if Jeep changing to non hybrid for the 2L turbo?

And what is the advantage of the new DOHC DI Turbo?
The eTorque boost is really only apparent at a stop light, and is deactivated in 4-low (and maybe 4-high?), so it's not useful for low-end off-roading torque. I have seen some forum members using the 48V battery for larger electrical loads (refrigerator), so it could be useful for other things depending on your needs.

I'll let others comment on the +/- of the 2.0 vs. 3.6, but I do recommend test driving both.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
12V small auxiliary battery is found in all automatic non e-torque engines. 3.6 and 2L.

Again, Jeep is confusing everyone because it started off with All 2L having e-torque and none of the 3.6L, now it's the exact opposite. So it depends on what year and even what trim you have.

Sponsored

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
12V small auxiliary battery is found in all automatic non e-torque engines. 3.6 and 2L.

Again, Jeep is confusing everyone because it started off with All 2L having e-torque and none of the 3.6L, now it's the exact opposite. So it depends on what year and even what trim you have.
Thanks for the clarification. So what, in your option, is Jeep trying to accomplish with the flip flop of e-torque. If its good enough to put in the new v6 why not keep in all engines??? I personally like the 2L turbo engine after having 2 NA v6 from jeep in the JK1 & JK2. Once I test drove the JL Turbo I was like "its good to be in the fast lane again"!!! I can pass on a moments notice and climb uphill with speed. Also I live at 7000ft elevation so its helps around town. The NA v6 had no power for high elevation living and playing... THX

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The eTorque boost is really only apparent at a stop light, and is deactivated in 4-low (and maybe 4-high?), so it's not useful for low-end off-roading torque. I have seen some forum members using the 48V battery for larger electrical loads (refrigerator), so it could be useful for other things depending on your needs.

I'll let others comment on the +/- of the 2.0 vs. 3.6, but I do recommend test driving both.
Im co,ing from the NA penastar v6 which is not good for high elevation living and playing. The Turbo is the best option for me. Also I have a 2 door JLR so no need for a bigger engine to push/pull my lightweight Jeep.

I didnt know about other options for the 48v battery thanks for sharing (maybe use for the winch if I dont get the Genesis dual battery setup).

I also read that the Superchips unlocks the 4 Low reduced power issues for the Turbo. I assume this will activate those 71ftlbs torque in 4 low and high.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
why not keep in all engines??? I personally like the 2L turbo engine after having 2 NA v6
It's not about what is better. They're balancing cost, sell price, CAFE fines, etc.

I didnt know about other options for the 48v battery thanks for sharing (maybe use for the winch if I dont get the Genesis dual battery setup).
I haven't seen any 48V winches yet, but I did see where a 24V ARB compressor was re-wired to 48V.

I also read that the Superchips unlocks the 4 Low reduced power issues for the Turbo. I assume this will activate those 71ftlbs torque in 4 low and high.
I don't think Superchips modifies the eTorque system. What they're referring to was that the engine tune doesn't allow full power in 4-low, which was done likely to save the axles. Superchips has removed this restriction, allowing for full power in all modes.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Thanks for the clarification. So what, in your option, is Jeep trying to accomplish with the flip flop of e-torque. If its good enough to put in the new v6 why not keep in all engines??? I personally like the 2L turbo engine after having 2 NA v6 from jeep in the JK1 & JK2. Once I test drove the JL Turbo I was like "its good to be in the fast lane again"!!! I can pass on a moments notice and climb uphill with speed. Also I live at 7000ft elevation so its helps around town. The NA v6 had no power for high elevation living and playing... THX
I think they wanted to test it with the 2 Liter first. It has proven reliable for the most part and thus they decided it should go into the more popular 3.6L..

48V assist is now being used in a lot of luxury vehicles as well and is there to smooth out the powertrain for the most part. Start stop system is much more seamless with the etorque, so is the shifting.

I agree about turbo and elevation. At 7000ft the 3.6L would feel pretty weak compared to the turbo, especially in the heat of summer.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Page 234 is a good place to start.

Let me guess... you looked up battery and gave up.

A0A9BE4D-B2B5-4A08-84C3-AD6C71F39BC9.jpeg
I’m guilty of not reading this. I notice they suggest turning off stop/start for off road use. Besides the obvious annoyance, I wonder if this was the source or contributing factor of early eTorque issues of low voltage. The BSG is pretty smooth and was new at the time so maybe people were leaving it on and the stop and go of off roading drained power.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

I did not know that...no eTorque in 4wd. Is there somewhere I can read about this?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I did not know that...no eTorque in 4wd. Is there somewhere I can read about this?
I don't recall where I read that, but it makes sense for 4-low not to have it. Or maybe it was just ESS that was deactivated... Time for some Googling.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I’m guilty of not reading this. I notice they suggest turning off stop/start for off road use. Besides the obvious annoyance, I wonder if this was the source or contributing factor of early eTorque issues of low voltage. The BSG is pretty smooth and was new at the time so maybe people were leaving it on and the stop and go of off roading drained power.
ESS is disabled in 4L.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
That’s what I thought. The eTorque being disabled was news to me. That’s disappointing if true.
I searched, couldn't find anything. I think I made it up.

I've always wished there was an +/- ammeter on the BSG. It would be very interesting to see what it's doing in real-time. It should be possible to retrofit... with enough time/knowledge.
Sponsored