Sponsored

You Get What You Pay For..

Deleted member 53226

And how does that solve the dilemma I wrote above? Asimov's laws do not consider such things unfortunately. They do not consider the choice of which human is more valuable.
Quite right sir. Maybe a 4th and 5th law would solve the auto driving robot vehicle's dilemma:

4. A robot will always choose to kill the fewest humans possible.

5. When the choice in number 4 is an equal amount of humans, a robot will choose to kill the humans in the Mercedes.

I think that solves it. At least until the robots become self aware and decide they don't need us anymore. They will solve their power problems by turning us into the batteries for their Tesla's. I for one cannot wait to be placed into a dreamlike state. In the Matrix I will own a Rubicon with every option available, and I shall have the mid twenties versions of Jennifer Aniston, Raquel Welch, and Cindy Crawford to fill the seats.

Jeep Wrangler JL You Get What You Pay For.. 1600822519975

Jeep Wrangler JL You Get What You Pay For.. 1600823293680

Jeep Wrangler JL You Get What You Pay For.. 1600822730627

Jeep Wrangler JL You Get What You Pay For.. 1600822934066
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That looks like a JK.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
And how does that solve the dilemma I wrote above? Asimov's laws do not consider such things unfortunately. They do not consider the choice of which human is more valuable.
I think in your scenario the robot would have no choice but to terminate itself..after screaming "f**k it, im out" of course.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Let’s do as the locals do... Jeep Gobi:

(I learned a new meaning of the word Gobi today. Thanks google)
Jeep Wrangler JL You Get What You Pay For.. 1600822934066
Too nutritious for me. Deep Fry me some fish and lets have that with beer!

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Wow, a whole lot of reading stuff I never said into what I, you know, actually said there. And the condescension was a nice touch as well. Uninformed, irrelevant and comical....but a nice touch none the less. :CWL:

Your non-grasp of the concept of jaywalking and basic traffic rules is quite entertaining as well.

Kudos to you. :like:
right back atcha bub

Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I like my chances on a 3” lift and 40s with bumpers, frame mounted rock rails etc vs most barriers, all pedestrians and pretty much any passenger vehicle

Last edited:

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Now, lets say you have a criminal record?

You are a 25 year old pregnant woman?
What about a 50 year old woman who's pregnant for the first time

vs.

A 25 year old woman pregnant for the first time?

Even if the robo car could tell the difference which one should it go for?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

vs.

Exactly the dilemma..... And if we see what's going on in China with "social scorecards" imagine that becomes part of the decision process.

Spooky shit.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban

vs.

50 y old. That baby will not likely have his or her mom around during college. Mom likely wont be around for grandchildren or be able to help plan a wedding. That is of course if this 50 yo's child isnt born with some serious syndrome and even able to do those things like marry and have kids of their own. And who will provide 24 hr care for this adult child if Mom dies when they are in their 20s? Basically there is a selfishness and recklessness that comes with being pregnant at age 50...

Probably be a year or two before those nuances are programmed into vehicle avoidance algorithms...

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
50 y old. That baby will not likely have his or her mom around during college. Mom likely wont be around for grandchildren or be able to help plan a wedding. That is of course if this 50 yo's child isnt born with some serious syndrome and even able to do those things like marry and have kids of their own. And who will provide 24 hr care for this adult child if Mom dies when they are in their 20s? Basically there is a selfishness and recklessness that comes with being pregnant at age 50...

Probably be a year or two before those nuances are programmed into vehicle avoidance algorithms...
Wow....this thread is going South very quickly....

Last edited:

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Wow....this thread is going South very quickly....
ok fine. I cant help but watch this crash test video and think, "dang that is legit some pro-G wagon propaganda!" It appears very subtle but the speed of the wrangler looks faster, and of the impact objects as well. Even accounting for camera speed.
And for $12 million you could have an actual army tank and I bet it performs pretty freakin awesome during crash tests- likely 10 stars!

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You ever notice that like 90% of these crash tests are with the driver at fault. Show me what it looks like getting rear ended. Thats way more likely than hitting a stationary solid object at 50mph.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Am I the only one who noticed, and then laughed out loud, when beginning at 1:05 the Mercedes dummy kids in the back seats high-fived eachother during the crash? I know this is serious and I should not point out these things, but really it's not appropriate to high five during head on collisions.

snapshot.jpg
I saw it and was going to screen shot the same thing.
"Hi five bro, we just crashed!!"
Glad it wasn't just me that saw/thought that.

This is actually one of the challenges with self driving cars - is the emergency behavior.

Lets say you are cruising along alone in your robo-car, a 45 year old male, wife, 2 kids, good job, positive member of society.

The robo-car senses a situation in which either it has a head on with a oncoming semi truck, or it can swerve onto the sidewalk but a cluster of people are in that area and if they do not see and get out the way could be injured.
Well all of you "what if" scenarios for the crowd on the sidewalk are moot. It's a great philosophical question, but the emergency systems in all automated, and semi-automated vehicles will NOT swerve to avoid a collision. The people on the sidewalk are irrelevant, regardless of how many there are, or their age/gender/status/ect.
Newer safety systems will provide lane assist to keep a vehicle within a traffic lane, but under no circumstances will it ever swerve to avoid a collision. The most they will do is apply emergency braking in an attempt to stop. This is partly because swerving takes the vehicle to an unknown path and may result in more harm. The other issue is, that unexpected abrupt maneuvers frequently result in loss of lateral stability causing the vehicle to enter a yaw and/or overturn. This typically results in much more damage/injury than straight line braking. For those two reasons the "robot" will not do anything but brake as you hit the semi head on.

So on the topic of the crash test ratings. The JL scored lower for two main reasons (and this has been covered on other European tests) because it doesn't come standard with some of the driver assists, and pedestrian injury. Foreign crash tests put a lot of weight on brake assist, lane assist, and pedestrian injury. Because of this the JL will not score well overseas.

That said, the biggest thing I saw in the crash test videos that was substantially better for the Mercedes, was the side impact. Notice the JL doesn't have side curtains for the rear occupants.
Jeep Wrangler JL You Get What You Pay For.. Capture.JPG

Notice the rear passenger's head struck the C-pillar during the side impact. This could obviously be fatal and is a major concern. Otherwise, as far as vehicle occupants are concerned, I don't see a huge difference between the two vehicles. I'd need to look closer at the videos, and the dummies, but overall it doesn't look to bad.

Okay, end nerd post.

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

As someone who's job is working with people injured (or killed) in car accidents, some of the comments in this thread are just sad. Suppose it's all to often that the American way is to not care unless it personally affects you or a loved one.
Sponsored