You Get What You Pay For..

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
As someone who's job is working with people injured (or killed) in car accidents, some of the comments in this thread are just sad. ...
Agreed. I know the pedestrian is often "at-fault" but that doesn't mean you shouldn't care what happens to them. I'm hoping/assuming the comments weren't serious.
Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
As someone who's job is working with people injured (or killed) in car accidents, some of the comments in this thread are just sad. Suppose it's all to often that the American way is to not care unless it personally affects you or a loved one.
I agree. When you hear about a fatal crash in the news, it is just that for you: news. But when such incidents happen with someone close to you, the world feels like it has crashed on your shoulders. I lost a 24 year old cousin to a car crash 20 years ago and still remember the shock that produced. Just last year, a 29 year old friend of mine lost his 28 year old wife to a car accident in Dec 2019. They were in a relationship since college in 2011 and got married Oct 2019.

so i find some of these pedestrian comments particularly disgusting. Even if they are fault, someone’s sister, brother, parent, friend, spouse or child died at the end of the day. It may not be your fault but such events leave you with PTSD also. I hope some of the people making those disgusting comments in this thread never have to go through that and it seems that they haven’t experienced this either. This is why a lot of shit talking is happening in this thread.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Well all of you "what if" scenarios for the crowd on the sidewalk are moot. It's a great philosophical question, but the emergency systems in all automated, and semi-automated vehicles will NOT swerve to avoid a collision. The people on the sidewalk are irrelevant, regardless of how many there are, or their age/gender/status/ect.
Newer safety systems will provide lane assist to keep a vehicle within a traffic lane, but under no circumstances will it ever swerve to avoid a collision. The most they will do is apply emergency braking in an attempt to stop. This is partly because swerving takes the vehicle to an unknown path and may result in more harm. The other issue is, that unexpected abrupt maneuvers frequently result in loss of lateral stability causing the vehicle to enter a yaw and/or overturn. This typically results in much more damage/injury than straight line braking. For those two reasons the "robot" will not do anything but brake as you hit the semi head on.
you are very very wrong on this one.

OP
OP
msdesignltd

msdesignltd

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler Recon unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Will our Jeeps automatically stop for people or just other cars?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
News flash, people die. Nobody gets out alive. People also get injured, been that way since the dawn of man and will continue to be that way until the last one checks out. Hand wringing and agonizing over it doesn't change it, not one little bit. Life is dangerous. It's very liberating to be an adult and take these simple facts at face value. Do I try and go run down pedestrians, no. But if I had to choose between one and myself, sorry dude its not personal but your time is over. I have had both family members and friends die naturally and in some of the most horrific ways possible. I think of them no differently, their time was over. I may miss them and their companionship but I don't grieve, grief is wasted energy and it's pure negative energy. I simply choose to not let emotional angst over human mortality ruin what little time I have on this earth, i'm gonna squeeze that orange for every last drop of sweet juice until it falls from my own cold dead hand. Life is way too short to cry over anything that isn't extreme happiness. So yea, i'm the one who said I don't care about what happens outside of my vehicle, and I absolutely meant it. Those are my opinions and I certainly will not be bullied, shamed, or socially contracted out of them so save your breath (or keystrokes).

Sponsored

OP
OP
msdesignltd

msdesignltd

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler Recon unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
People overlook the fact that " YOU " will not be responsible for killing yourself..Yet the illegal immigrant driver with one tequila shot too many that had his pickup enter the interstate traveling the wrong way at 12:30 in the morning...slammed you head on..and wiped out your whole family while he walked away with a broken pinky...It is then that the difference in safety accessories comes into play..moral of story...buckle up and drive safe.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
People overlook the fact that " YOU " will not be responsible for killing yourself..Yet the illegal immigrant driver with one tequila shot too many that had his pickup enter the interstate traveling the wrong way at 12:30 in the morning...slammed you head on..and wiped out your whole family while he walked away with a broken pinky...It is then that the difference in safety accessories comes into play..moral of story...buckle up and drive safe.
Those wrong way crashes have happened a lot of times for us here on Long Island. Just last week, a drunk kid killed himself and 3 people on the Southern State. Illegal or not: people like these have a special place in hell booked for them.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I agree with most everything you said. Only difference is, even if someone committed suicide by stepping out in front of my vehicle, (and this actually is quite a common occurrence if one does a quick search), I'd likely still feel bad. But, my feeling bad from an emotional standpoint wouldn't change the fact that it happened and my logical side would likely know it wasn't my fault and it was out of my control. I honestly believe over time, the logical side would win out and at that point, I'd probably feel sorry for the loss but no guilt over it having happened.
I absolutely think every single human being has different thoughts and emotional reactions, no two on the planet are identical. And I think that's cool, it should be celebrated not demonized. I really despise the "group think" mentality that you have to think and react to thigs in some pre defined fashion that others find acceptable, f'k that. I blame this whole "social contract" idiocy that has been dreamt up by people who want to control what others think and do. I understand that there have to be certain boundaries, like we can't let a serial killer just be a serial killer because he thinks it's ok to murder people. But within the boundaries of the law people should be be free to feel and think and speak what they please without being attacked for it. That's what America used to be about, anymore I'm not so sure.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It's so useless arguing how you'd feel when it comes to things you've never experienced... especially such weighty things. I get that it's the internet and we all need to act like we know everything, but nobody here knows how they'd act in many of these situations being discussed, end of story. Act as tough as you want, bemoan whatever made-up thing about the country "these days" that you want to bemoan, whatever, more power to you, but be big enough to realize you don't know what you don't know.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Preach it, brother. :rock:

Only point I'd contend is: just b/c something is law doesn't make it morally right or wrong. My moral compass works just fine and I know this will be anathema to most people, but I'm perfectly capable of making that judgement all by myself.
Thats pretty much been my opening argument against new yorks "safe" act.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
i wanted to see them crash into each other like the teaser thumbnail

:no:
Sponsored