Sponsored

You Get What You Pay For..

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Was the pedestrian in a crosswalk b/c if not...it really makes no difference anyway.
I get it, that old folksy I don't care about no safety because that there government done ruined my fun because people getting hurt costs us all money.

It's cool. I liked to pretend I didn't care about stuff when I was a teenager too.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I get it, that old folksy I don't care about no safety because that there government done ruined my fun because people getting hurt costs us all money.

It's cool. I liked to pretend I didn't care about stuff when I was a teenager too.
Well, it's a good thing the government is here to protect people like you from the big bad dangers of life. How did billions of us "old folksy" people survive without their daily intervention...

Deleted member 53226

Am I the only one who noticed, and then laughed out loud, when beginning at 1:05 the Mercedes dummy kids in the back seats high-fived eachother during the crash? I know this is serious and I should not point out these things, but really it's not appropriate to high five during head on collisions.

snapshot.jpg

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
European safety tests put a lot of weight on what happens to others outside your vehicle in a crash, and TBH I don't care.
This is actually one of the challenges with self driving cars - is the emergency behavior.

Lets say you are cruising along alone in your robo-car, a 45 year old male, wife, 2 kids, good job, positive member of society.

The robo-car senses a situation in which either it has a head on with a oncoming semi truck, or it can swerve onto the sidewalk but a cluster of people are in that area and if they do not see and get out the way could be injured.

What does the car do? Protect you, or protect many?

Now change the scenario....

The cluster of people are school kids? Should the outcome change?

The cluster of people are old and handicapped?

The cluster of people is a group with criminal records?

The cluster is a single person, your same age/social status?

The cluster is a bunch of young pregnant ladies coming from pre-natal yoga?

Now, lets say you have a criminal record?

You are 90 years of age?

You are a 25 year old pregnant woman?

You have 3 kids in the car?

You have a health condition that is terminal.

These are ethical challenges that will be hard to sort out, have a lot of legal implications, and perhaps keep robo-cars stalled for years.

The nannies will have lots to bicker over in the future to keep us all safe. Perhaps we should just declare COVID lock downs permanent and we all sit at home and rot away in our basements....

Too Much Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
And
Take this video with a grain of salt, folks as it is from my second home and birth country (India). For a few bucks, corporate India will sell their father if they have to. Mercedes is scared of Jeep in India as the Wrangler has pummeled them in off road Luxury SUV sales for their G Wagen due to price. Before the Wrangler, only G Wagen dominated the high end SUV market in India and it was common to see them in the very rich neighborhoods of Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, etc. Jeep enters the fray in 2016 with a Wrangler and the rich went ape shit about it due to the (relatively) much lower cost and the iconic reputation Wranglers have had in India. Ever since 2016, the Rich preferred Wranglers while the Upper Middle Class like me preferred Mahindra Thar (Wrangler’s cheaper but much less capable and reliable cousin).

Wont be surprised if MB in India paid off our safety agency in Delhi to make the Wrangler look bad from a safety perspective. The G Wagen is by all means a safer vehicle than the Wrangler but that doesn’t mean that the Wrangler does not belong on the streets.

By no means am I criticising India. It is my second home and the place that gave birth to me. But I know how corrupt and dishonest we are!
Now your in a country that’s a great challenger to that corrupt, dishonest behavior. How did you get so lucky?

Deleted member 53226

This is actually one of the challenges with self driving cars - is the emergency behavior.

Lets say you are cruising along alone in your robo-car, a 45 year old male, wife, 2 kids, good job, positive member of society.

The robo-car senses a situation in which either it has a head on with a oncoming semi truck, or it can swerve onto the sidewalk but a cluster of people are in that area and if they do not see and get out the way could be injured.

What does the car do? Protect you, or protect many?

Now change the scenario....

The cluster of people are school kids? Should the outcome change?

The cluster of people are old and handicapped?

The cluster of people is a group with criminal records?

The cluster is a single person, your same age/social status?

The cluster is a bunch of young pregnant ladies coming from pre-natal yoga?

Now, lets say you have a criminal record?

You are 90 years of age?

You are a 25 year old pregnant woman?

You have 3 kids in the car?

You have a health condition that is terminal.

These are ethical challenges that will be hard to sort out, have a lot of legal implications, and perhaps keep robo-cars stalled for years.

The nannies will have lots to bicker over in the future to keep us all safe. Perhaps we should just declare COVID lock downs permanent and we all sit at home and rot away in our basements....

I agree. Thankfully, Isaac Asimov, in his novel "I, Robot" already figured out the dilemma, and devised the following three ethical laws that all robots must be programmed with.

Jeep Wrangler JL You Get What You Pay For.. 1600817247925

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
And

Now your in a country that’s a great challenger to that corrupt, dishonest behavior. How did you get so lucky?
Not a big difference if the dems have it their way, bud. Mail in = Fraud

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I agree. Thankfully, Isaac Asimov, in his novel "I, Robot" already figured out the dilemma, and devised the following three ethical laws that all robots must be programmed with.

Jeep Wrangler JL You Get What You Pay For.. 1600817247925
And how does that solve the dilemma I wrote above? Asimov's laws do not consider such things unfortunately. They do not consider the choice of which human is more valuable.

Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid

Last edited:

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Wow, a whole lot of reading stuff I never said into what I, you know, actually said there. And the condescension was a nice touch as well. Uninformed, irrelevant and comical....but a nice touch none the less. :CWL:

Your non-grasp of the concept of jaywalking and basic traffic rules is quite entertaining as well.

Kudos to you. :like:
Boy o boy....this is gonna get interesting....lemme go grab some popcorn and beer

OP
OP
msdesignltd

msdesignltd

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler Recon unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
amazing how similar the A / B and C side windows are on both vehicles..see profiles

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
If you hit a pedestrian that ends up in the morgue, you'll start caring very quickly.
I guarantee you if I ever hit a pedestrian it’s because they flat out committed suicide and caused an unavoidable collision. I will always place a higher emphasis on paying attention to the road and driving defensively 100% of the time over any safety features. The driver is the biggest safety feature on a car and always will be.
Sponsored