Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Quite a bit has been done to the Jeep now, and I still have a huge list left to accomplish. Figured I would start up a build journal and document the progress.

2021 JLUR
Sarge Green
Dark Saddle leather
3.6 E-Torque, Automatic
3-Piece hard top - Black
  • Integrated Trail-Cam
  • Cold Weather Group
  • LED Lighting Group
  • Safety Group (standard not advanced)
  • Steel-Bumper Group
  • Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical Group
Ordered September 5, 2020
Picked up October 26, 2020

Name: Kahiltna. Kal for short. The name originates from the Kahiltna Glacier, which is part of Denali. The name is personal and has multiple meanings. My cousin was a leading glaciologist in Alaska and accomplished significant work on Kahiltna Glacier to monitor climate changes. My cousin embodied the word adventure. The landscape of Denali is massive and challenging - leading to the discovery and exploration aspect.

Build type: Overall the Jeep is being built with an expedition mindset, meaning an emphasis on discovery, exploration, and capability. Suppose you could say the build is more for ‘overlanding’ although personally I have tried not to throw that word around as much. A few of my passions guiding the build are landscape photography and adventure travel. I picked the Wrangler due to many reasons, the main being its capability and ability to individualize. As a Lego fan, having my own full size lego machine is a dream of mine! I have tried to be very purposeful with my build, selecting items that not only aid the capability part of the build, but also being mindful of weight and functionality, along with staying aesthetically pleasing. Weight is obviously a big factor with using a Wrangler for this type of build. I try to have a bit of a backpacker mindset with my selections, while focusing the weight on certain key parts (and cutting w/ others).

Stock Current build (as of April 2023)
Jeep Wrangler JL Kahiltna - Sarge Green JLUR Build Journal jeep_stock
Jeep Wrangler JL Kahiltna - Sarge Green JLUR Build Journal Jeep_front

Jeep Wrangler JL Kahiltna - Sarge Green JLUR Build Journal Jeep_rear1
Jeep Wrangler JL Kahiltna - Sarge Green JLUR Build Journal Jeep_rear2

Current build items: General list not all included/Updates will be posted in this list as well.
*Updated list as of 6/5/23

Exterior/Suspension/Drivetrain etc:
Clayton 2.5” Overland + Kit
Falcon 3.3 Fast Adjust Piggyback Shocks
TeraFlex Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Adjustable Steering Stabilizer w/Relocation Bracket
Steer Smarts Yeti HD Tie rod and Draglink
Dynatrac HD BallJoints
Dana AdvanTEK 4.88 Gears
ARB Diff Covers - Front and Back
Tires - Mickey Thompson 37X12.50R17LT - Baja Boss A/T
Wheels: Fifteen52 - Traverse HD - Bronze
McGard Wheel Installation Kit, 23-Piece, M14X1.5 - Black
Mopar 392 Emblems and hood decal
Redline Tuning - Hood struts
Gobi Stealth Rack - Multi-Light Setup w/ Driver Side Ladder
AEV Rear Bumper and RX Tire Carrier w/ Flare ext, Splash Guards, Aux light mount
LOD Destroyer rock sliders
Maximus-3 JL Winch Mount kit
Maximus-3 Max Glide Fairlead - Black
Fishbone Offroad Aluminum Hawse Fairlead License Plate Mount - Black
Factor 55 Flatlink E - Grey w/Flatlink rope guard
Utah Design Foundry Stubby Bumper Closeout Panels
Colorado 4x4 Nimbus Hardshell Roof Top Tent - with Cloud comfort bedding

Interior:
Hotheads Headliner - Black
AAL (American Adventure Labs) ARB Compressor Remote Bracket - Texture Black
AAL Jeep JL Dual ARB Compressor Mount Bracket
AAL Jeep JL M.A.S.S. Storage Platform - Bare Metal ** Upgraded to the M.A.S.S + Platform
Carolina Metal Masters JL/JLU Grab Bar Ball Mount
Vehicle OCD center console organizer tray
Vector Offroad JLE-Dock Contour Full Width w/ 1 extra ball
67Designs 4.9" arm matte, SPod Touchscreen Mount
AAL Overhead molle platform - Texture Black
TACCOM Compatible Heavy Duty Aluminum Sun Visor Clips
Tailgate table from Outback Adventure
Element fire extinguisher - Mounted to driver side seat using flashlight mount
Desert Does it - SHORTY FRONT SEAT JACKERS

Electrical/Comm’s:
ARB Dual Air Compressor
Rear hatch light: KC HiLiTES 1353 Red Cyclone LED Accessory Light
Rear hatch light: KC Hilites 1351 Diffused Cyclone LED Accessory Light
S-Pod BathamX w/ Touchscreen
Bumper lights: KC Pro6 Gravity Driving lights (pair) w/ Amber light covers
Z Automotive Tazer Mini
WARN 62132 Power Interrupt Kit
Rear bumper light: Baja Designs - Squadron Sport - Work/Scene light
Terra Acoustics front Soundstage speakers w/ Black Anodized Tweeter ring
Wouxun KG-1000G Plus GMRS
Genesis Offroad Dual battery setup Gen 3 w/ 2 FullRiver Full Throttle FT75025 batteries

Recovery/Gear Misc:
Superwinch SX10SR - 10k Winch, Synthetic line
DIY tire inflation system with Haltec Lock-On Air Chucks and Flexzilla Air Hose
ActionTrax recovery boards - OD green
Gerber Strap cutter
Misc bags and kits for medical, recovery, tools, etc. Blue Ridge Overland and MyMedic
Jetboil - Genesis Basecamp Stove/System
Dometic GO Hydration Water Jug 11L
Dometic GO Hydration Water Faucet
Dometic GO Compact Camp Bamboo Table
Front Runner Expander Camping Chairs

Current focus items/areas/pending purchases:

• Storage - Currently planning on building a drawer system from AAL, joined with the fridge Flipn Slide from AAL.
  • Misc - Fridge 40-45L
  • Electrical - thinking of adding a second SPod Bantam X in the rear and tying it to the front Bantam X.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tpom

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Replaced my American Adventure Labs MASS platform with the new MASS + platform. Much prefer the new design. Having the door/hatches to access the rear cubby with the air compressor is very nice. There are braces that fit the back side of the platform. The two front braces have a section that shows behind the AAL logo. I used some Rust-Oleum metallic paint in Champagne Bronze to match the the other bronze/gold accents around the Jeep. Very close in color.

Will be most likely adding the fridge slide and drawers to the rear as well. Have not decided on the drawer layout yet though.

Previous platform (AAL MASS)

Jeep Wrangler JL Kahiltna - Sarge Green JLUR Build Journal AAL_MASS

New/Upgraded platform (AAL MASS +)

Jeep Wrangler JL Kahiltna - Sarge Green JLUR Build Journal AAL_MASS_Plus_1

Jeep Wrangler JL Kahiltna - Sarge Green JLUR Build Journal AAL_MASS_Plus_2

OP
OP
Tpom

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Also... "Assembled" my new HF badlands floor jack. Really only required installing the wheels and the clamp to hold the optional extension.

So far, very impressive build. The main structure has got to be 7/16 to 1/2in think steel. Also really like the carrier for the optional extension. It fits securely in it's housing when not in use. Easy to add the extension as well, and even includes an Allen key (that has a mount on the jack). For $300 I would say it's a very good buy vs the competition (pro eagle).

20230417_170401.jpg

20230417_170357.jpg

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Quite a bit has been done to the Jeep now, and I still have a huge list left to accomplish. Figured I would start up a build journal and document the progress.

2021 JLUR
Sarge Green
Dark Saddle leather
3.6 E-Torque, Automatic
3-Piece hard top - Black
  • Integrated Trail-Cam
  • Cold Weather Group
  • LED Lighting Group
  • Safety Group (standard not advanced)
  • Steel-Bumper Group
  • Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical Group
Ordered September 5, 2020
Picked up October 26, 2020

Name: Kahiltna. Kal for short. The name originates from the Kahiltna Glacier, which is part of Denali. The name is personal and has multiple meanings. My cousin was a leading glaciologist in Alaska and accomplished significant work on Kahiltna Glacier to monitor climate changes. My cousin embodied the word adventure. The landscape of Denali is massive and challenging - leading to the discovery and exploration aspect.

Build type: Overall the Jeep is being built with an expedition mindset, meaning an emphasis on discovery, exploration, and capability. Suppose you could say the build is more for ‘overlanding’ although personally I have tried not to throw that word around as much. A few of my passions guiding the build are landscape photography and adventure travel. I picked the Wrangler due to many reasons, the main being its capability and ability to individualize. As a Lego fan, having my own full size lego machine is a dream of mine! I have tried to be very purposeful with my build, selecting items that not only aid the capability part of the build, but also being mindful of weight and functionality, along with staying aesthetically pleasing. Weight is obviously a big factor with using a Wrangler for this type of build. I try to have a bit of a backpacker mindset with my selections, while focusing the weight on certain key parts (and cutting w/ others).

Stock Current build (as of April 2023)
Jeep Wrangler JL Kahiltna - Sarge Green JLUR Build Journal 20230417_170357

Current build items: General list not all included/Updates will be posted in this list as well.

Exterior/Suspension/Drivetrain etc:
Clayton 2.5” Overland + Kit
Falcon 3.3 Fast Adjust Piggyback Shocks
TeraFlex Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Adjustable Steering Stabilizer w/Relocation Bracket
Steer Smarts Yeti HD Tie rod and Draglink
Dynatrac HD BallJoints
Dana AdvanTEK 4.88 Gears
ARB Diff Covers - Front and Back
Tires - Mickey Thompson 37X12.50R17LT - Baja Boss A/T
Wheels: Fifteen52 - Traverse HD - Bronze
McGard Wheel Installation Kit, 23-Piece, M14X1.5 - Black
Mopar 392 Emblems and hood decal
Redline Tuning - Hood struts
Gobi Stealth Rack - Multi-Light Setup w/ Driver Side Ladder
AEV Rear Bumper and RX Tire Carrier w/ Flare ext, Splash Guards, Aux light mount
LOD Destroyer rock sliders
Maximus-3 JL Winch Mount kit
Maximus-3 Max Glide Fairlead - Black
Fishbone Offroad Aluminum Hawse Fairlead License Plate Mount - Black
Factor 55 Flatlink E - Grey w/Flatlink rope guard

Interior:
Hotheads Headliner - Black
AAL (American Adventure Labs) ARB Compressor Remote Bracket - Texture Black
AAL Jeep JL Dual ARB Compressor Mount Bracket
AAL Jeep JL M.A.S.S. Storage Platform - Bare Metal ** Upgraded to the M.A.S.S + Platform
Carolina Metal Masters JL/JLU Grab Bar Ball Mount
Vehicle OCD center console organizer tray
Vector Offroad JLE-Dock Contour Full Width w/ 1 extra ball
67Designs 4.9" arm matte, SPod Touchscreen Mount
AAL Overhead molle platform - Texture Black
TACCOM Compatible Heavy Duty Aluminum Sun Visor Clips
Tailgate table from Outback Adventure
Element fire extinguisher - Mounted to driver side seat using flashlight mount

Electrical/Comm’s:
ARB Dual Air Compressor
Rear hatch light: KC HiLiTES 1353 Red Cyclone LED Accessory Light
Rear hatch light: KC Hilites 1351 Diffused Cyclone LED Accessory Light
S-Pod BathamX w/ Touchscreen
Bumper lights: KC Pro6 Gravity Driving lights (pair) w/ Amber light covers
Z Automotive Tazer Mini
WARN 62132 Power Interrupt Kit
Rear bumper light: Baja Designs - Squadron Sport - Work/Scene light

Recovery/Gear Misc:
Superwinch SX10SR - 10k Winch, Synthetic line
DIY tire inflation system with Haltec Lock-On Air Chucks and Flexzilla Air Hose
ActionTrax recovery boards - OD green
Gerber Strap cutter
Misc bags and kits for medical, recovery, tools, etc. Blue Ridge Overland and MyMedic
Jetboil - Genesis Basecamp Stove/System
Dometic GO Hydration Water Jug 11L
Dometic GO Compact Camp Bamboo Table
Front Runner Expander Camping Chairs

Current focus items/areas/pending purchases:
  • Comm’s - Wouxun KG-1000G GMRS Radio w/ Midland Ghost antenna
  • Recovery - Finishing my recovery gear loadout and complimenting the winch
  • Storage - Currently planning on building a drawer system from AAL, joined with the fridge Flipn Slide from AAL.
  • Misc - Fridge 40-45L
  • Electrical - Deciding on the route to go currently. About 75% on going the Genesis Gen 3 Dual battery setup. Other options would be going with a portable unit (for the fridge ect), or adding a house lithium battery in the rear. Also, thinking of adding a second SPod Bantam X in the rear and tying it to the front Bantam X.
  • Lastly is sleeping quarters - Checking the RTT options out at Overland Expo PNW this year. So far the James Baroud Odyssey, Alu-Cab Gen 3R, and Roofnest Falcon Pro are the top contenders. Then I would like to do an awning.
Love this build and the ethos behind it Tyler! Looking forward to following your adventures.

I am running the AAL MASS Platform/Cargo Shelf/Fridge Slider and love their products. Do you find yourself using the + feature doors much? It seems like a great idea but my platform is covered most of the time. I'm on the fence about possibly upgrading.

I too am/was a huge Lego fan and appreciate that aspect of my Jeep.

-Steven

OP
OP
Tpom

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Love this build and the ethos behind it Tyler! Looking forward to following your adventures.

I am running the AAL MASS Platform/Cargo Shelf/Fridge Slider and love their products. Do you find yourself using the + feature doors much? It seems like a great idea but my platform is covered most of the time. I'm on the fence about possibly upgrading.

-Steven
Thanks Steven! Appreciate the kind words.

I pondered the aspect that the platform will be mostly covered (w/ slide and drawers), which almost made me decide against it. I mean I already had the first MASS platform installed. Then, after seeing some video demonstrations by AAL, I could see that access to the doors was still possible after adding a fridge slide and drawers. It looks like the fridge slide, completely extended out allows access, without removing it. With the drawer side you would need to either extend out or remove them. The air compressor is on the left side which will be my fridge side, so having the ability to access it will be really nice. In a pinch you could access the right side under the drawers as well, but it appears it will be a bit more of a hassle. I'm hoping AAL will have some demos of this configurations at Overland Expo PNW in July.

Currently, without a slide or drawers im loving the MASS + platform. I never liked all of the dogbone holes on the first one, as it was easy to drop items under it. Also, since the air compressor fuses are currently in the rear cubby as well (will be moving up near the battery) it provides actual quick access, which the first platform required complete removal.

Personally, I think it's a bit cleaner of a design overall, and I did like the first platform as well. Having the attachment option similar to goose gear etc, now allows more options for add-ons too.

Definitely one of the pros and cons of AAL. They make some of the more innovative designs and products, but they're also constantly revaluating and improving. So you end up wishing you had the new version. I'm going to work with them on a possible custom solution for the drawers in the near future.

Sponsored

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Also... "Assembled" my new HF badlands floor jack. Really only required installing the wheels and the clamp to hold the optional extension.

So far, very impressive build. The main structure has got to be 7/16 to 1/2in think steel. Also really like the carrier for the optional extension. It fits securely in it's housing when not in use. Easy to add the extension as well, and even includes an Allen key (that has a mount on the jack). For $300 I would say it's a very good buy vs the competition (pro eagle).

Ooooo....I want one....need a second jack and this fits the bill!

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thanks Steven! Appreciate the kind words.

I pondered the aspect that the platform will be mostly covered (w/ slide and drawers), which almost made me decide against it. I mean I already had the first MASS platform installed. Then, after seeing some video demonstrations by AAL, I could see that access to the doors was still possible after adding a fridge slide and drawers. It looks like the fridge slide, completely extended out allows access, without removing it. With the drawer side you would need to either extend out or remove them. The air compressor is on the left side which will be my fridge side, so having the ability to access it will be really nice. In a pinch you could access the right side under the drawers as well, but it appears it will be a bit more of a hassle. I'm hoping AAL will have some demos of this configurations at Overland Expo PNW in July.

Currently, without a slide or drawers im loving the MASS + platform. I never liked all of the dogbone holes on the first one, as it was easy to drop items under it. Also, since the air compressor fuses are currently in the rear cubby as well (will be moving up near the battery) it provides actual quick access, which the first platform required complete removal.

Personally, I think it's a bit cleaner of a design overall, and I did like the first platform as well. Having the attachment option similar to goose gear etc, now allows more options for add-ons too.

Definitely one of the pros and cons of AAL. They make some of the more innovative designs and products, but they're also constantly revaluating and improving. So you end up wishing you had the new version. I'm going to work with them on a possible custom solution for the drawers in the near future.
Thanks for the feedback Tyler! I do like the cleaner design of the new system. I run a cargo mat in mine for daily driving duties. I'm going to reach out to Brit and inquire about the new design.

Looking forward to what comes out of your exchanges with Brit/AAL, I know he really takes feedback seriously. keep up the great work.

-Steven

Blue Bear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hydro Blue JLUR
Occupation
Air & Space Museum Curator

-Steven
Steven,
I have the MASS+ platform, and I use the cubby doors a lot. I keep a few soft shackles, gloves, a Stop the Bleed kit, and a few other things in there. With a fridge slider, it's still easy to get to the left side. When I get drawers, the right side will go away. :( But until then, I still have use of both spaces. Maybe I can put the drawers on a slide? ;)

OP
OP
Tpom

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Steven,
I have the MASS+ platform, and I use the cubby doors a lot. I keep a few soft shackles, gloves, a Stop the Bleed kit, and a few other things in there. With a fridge slider, it's still easy to get to the left side. When I get drawers, the right side will go away. :( But until then, I still have use of both spaces. Maybe I can put the drawers on a slide? ;)
Awesome to hear some real world use with the slide. I have not seen the drawers with the MASS + in person yet, but it almost looked like you could access the cubby still below the bottom drawer. In my current build plans I won't really need access to that right side, but wonder if you could still reach the cubby from the back side (with the drawer extended)? It also looks like the drawer can pretty easily can be removed from the rails too.

My preliminary drawer concept, being that AAL could work with me on a custom build, has the section where the bottom drawer is, removed. The space would be used for water storage (I have the dometic go containers) and extra camera, etc storage. I need some more time on the trail and camping with the current setup to confirm though.

Wish AAL was on the forms as a company account. Would be nice to get feedback with everyone. Really want the 60% delete to come out, I know they have been working on it for a few years now.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Steven,
Steven,
Thanks Matt for info.. I'm looking into switching to the MASS +. When I talk with Brit, I am going to ask if they have time to put someone on monitoring this forum.

-Steven

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tpom

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Thanks Matt for info.. I'm looking into switching to the MASS +. When I talk with Brit, I am going to ask if they have time to put someone on monitoring this forum.

-Steven
That would be great. I see a lot of questions and builds with AAL parts. I think they would see a lot of traction.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hey Tyler @Tpom

...curiosity question: how noisy do you find the Gobi rack?

Thanks.

OP
OP
Tpom

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Hey Tyler @Tpom

...curiosity question: how noisy do you find the Gobi rack?

Thanks.
So far, apart from a very slight whistle sound (from the placement of the wind deflector) I don't notice it at all. I'm having a custom vinyl done for the wind deflector and will spend some more time adjusting it on reinstall. I think I can eliminate the whisle completely. It's really only noticable at 60mph + though. Not annoying even with it though.

I'm assuming once I add whatever lighting I choose to the rack and the RTT I will hear a bit more, but that won't be the rack causing it.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
So far, apart from a very slight whistle sound (from the placement of the wind deflector) I don't notice it at all. I'm having a custom vinyl done for the wind deflector and will spend some more time adjusting it on reinstall. I think I can eliminate the whisle completely. It's really only noticable at 60mph + though. Not annoying even with it though.

I'm assuming once I add whatever lighting I choose to the rack and the RTT I will hear a bit more, but that won't be the rack causing it.
..thanks,

...but not hearing much metal bending sounds as you tackle the local errands of life?

OP
OP
Tpom

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

..thanks,

...but not hearing much metal bending sounds as you tackle the local errands of life?
Not sure what I would constitute "metal bending sounds". I definitely do not hear anything alarming. Truthfully apart from the very quiet whistle, there are no other sounds. Atleast from the rack. The rack is very solid, you can grab the rails and easily rock the entire jeep. No play at all. Especially after probably adjusting it.
Sponsored