Winch mounting plate

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 73 CJ5, 07 Electra Glide
Real simple post here. What plate did you use and why? The good the bad the ugly .
Sponsored

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Real simple post here. What plate did you use and why? The good the bad the ugly .
Rusty's....because Rugged Ridge calls for the frame tab to be cut off.....no way am I cutting frame tabs to weaken the entire frame. Rusty's went on easy with no cutting. I like the low profile look of the winch.
IMG_7749.JPG

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I used the Maximus 3 plate with a Smittybilt X20. After hearing horror stories about the JCR plate and difficulties installing the Warn plate, I was already looking at the Maximus 3 and then the shop that installed my lift said the M3 was their preference because of ease of install and strength. Both the plate and the winch were a very easy install.

I guess the only issue with the M3 is if you are using a Warn Zeon, part of the mount has to be bent out of the way because of the size of the Zeon, but all other small body winches fit with no modifications.

I also really like the Maximus 3 hook anchor.

winch.JPG

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I went with the Maximus-3 and Warn Zeon 10s. I wanted the Maximus-3 because of not needing to modify anything for install on my 2019 JLU. When I found a package deal for the winch and plate at Rubitrux for a lower total price of anywhere else, I couldn't resist. I know there is a video on Youtube about this install and shows you need to do some bending but this is no longer necessary. I didn't have to bend or cut anything any where. However, I did (supposedly) get an old copy of the directions from Maxiumus-3 that says to put the bumper on BEFORE putting the bolts into the bottom of the mounting plate and fastening down the winch. There is no way to get the two front bolts on with the bumper back on. So now I have to take the bumper back off to put those two front bolts in. It's going to be tight dealing with those inner bumper bolts but with the right socket/extension combination, it should be ok.

Sponsored

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I used the Maximus 3 plate with a Smittybilt X20. After hearing horror stories about the JCR plate and difficulties installing the Warn plate, I was already looking at the Maximus 3 and then the shop that installed my lift said the M3 was their preference because of ease of install and strength. Both the plate and the winch were a very easy install.

I guess the only issue with the M3 is if you are using a Warn Zeon, part of the mount has to be bent out of the way because of the size of the Zeon, but all other small body winches fit with no modifications.

I also really like the Maximus 3 hook anchor.

winch.JPG

Is that the Maximus-3 SLP Hoop? If so, what did you use to mount your lights and what size lights are those (5-inch)?

mzrpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 JKU
I also went with Maximus 3 plate. I previously had one on my JK and installation was a breeze. So I purchased one for the JL, again breeze to install. Also the Zeon filler trim plate I had on my JK fit the JL with minor trimming.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Artec. No reason but it’s a great piece and an easy install. Even with the Zeon.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Rusty's....because Rugged Ridge calls for the frame tab to be cut off.....no way am I cutting frame tabs to weaken the entire frame. Rusty's went on easy with no cutting. I like the low profile look of the winch.
IMG_7749.JPG
This feels a bit melodramatic....what tabs and how do they weaken the frame?

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I went with the Rusty's. Just because it was simple and easy compared to Warn that looked more complicated to me.

Mounted a X20 on it.
It took about an hour or less to install everything.
I used the Warn plate for my X20 - took me WAY more than an hour! :blush: First time I've installed a winch and took my time, didn't have great tools to work with but turned out OK.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I used the Warn plate for my X20 - took me WAY more than an hour! :blush: First time I've installed a winch and took my time, didn't have great tools to work with but turned out OK.
Same set up and similar outcome. Longer than I expected, but turned out ok. Warn Plate and Warn hook stay with Smittybilt X2O Comp 10K

20190827_213019.jpg

Last edited:

Sting Ray Rubi

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray, 2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
20190811_130554.jpg

Warn plate with X20 for me. I heard some bad reviews about JCR, and Rusty's. The warn is sturdy and easy to install as well.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Another vote for Maximus-3.

The Good:
The Bad/Ugly:
  • Instructions were not 100% correct, wasted time assembling in wrong order. They have since come out with version 2 to fix these issues.
  • Minor modifications were needed
  • Very hard to access nuts/bolts with a Warn Zeon.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Is that the Maximus-3 SLP Hoop? If so, what did you use to mount your lights and what size lights are those (5-inch)?
Yea it’s the SLP hoop. I also used the Maximus 3 light bracket. It’s part no. JL1007AB. The lights are 6 inch. Tried to get a better pic.

16C6D7B0-5A8E-491B-B12B-AFE67E92E05D.jpeg
Sponsored