What actually _is_ normal steering?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I learnt to drive on cars manufactured about 1968 or so, that is 10yo cars. The steering on all cars at the time were loose. With some cars you needed to begin the turn about a mile before the corner.

As we moved into the 2000's I noticed the steering has been getting sharper and sharper. My wife has a recent model Mini Cooper. If you move the steering wheel even a tiny bit the car goes there. Its great!

My Jeep's steering has a small dead spot in the centre. I just need to turn it a bit more than the Mini to face the right direction.

The dead spot, in a car park seems to provide me with a fabulous turning circle! An unexpected benefit! Driving off road, the steering is fabulous! We all know it was designed for off road so there you go.

OP
OP
JavaRunner

JavaRunner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Doesn't that answer your question about what's normal?
Maybe, but the brain is a powerful thing. And maybe if the tires were not at 50+ when I picked up the Jeep, I would have never questioned it. Cause it drove like shit at that tire pressure, but now the doubt is cemented in my head!

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Maybe, but the brain is a powerful thing. And maybe if the tires were not at 50+ when I picked up the Jeep, I would have never questioned it. Cause it drove like shit at that tire pressure, but now the doubt is cemented in my head!
One thing I have noticed is those who mention wanderings issues aren't those coming from a JL or even a JK. Solid axles are an attack on all sense when going over bumps. You couldn't call it a Jeep if it didn't have them though.

Have you tried loading it up with some weights in the back to see how it handles?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JavaRunner

JavaRunner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Have you tried loading it up with some weights in the back to see how it handles?
For, um, research purposes, how many cases of beer should I try? “But honey, the internet said I had to put 15 cases of beer in the back to see if it helps the steering”

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Hi All,

Yes, groan, another steering question, and for my first post too.... suppose i should go post on the Welcome thread first.

Anyway, it was my wife's dream from when she first learned to drive to own a Jeep, and now finally some 30 years later we've got the opportunity! Picked up a 20 Sahara Altitude a little over a week ago, Sting Grey with Sky Touch. It is a thing of beauty. Found it on a dealer lot about 2 hours away, it had just came off the truck, build date of 7/20, had 5 miles on it!

We take it for a quick test drive, all seems well, we sign the papers and we are off, heading back home. I'm in my Ram 1500, she's following in the Jeep. After stopping for dinner, she says that the drive was frankly terrifying. She felt like she was all over the road and had no control. We were driving back from Baltimore area, through lots of road construction and traffic. It was an unfamiliar area, with an unfamiliar car, so we chalked it up to that.

I drove the remainder of the way home and it really wasn't a fun experience. I don't think it was terrifying, but really wasn't all that enjoyable.

I checked the tire pressures when we got home and realized that yes, as a lot of others reported, they were way too high. Over 50, actually. Lowered to 38, per door panel, and eventually down to about 35.

The Jeep drives better now, but it still wants to wander, and the question is how much is normal for a solid axle, and how much would be considered a defect. My wife indicates that the way home from work is far worse than the way to work. Its been super hot here in the Philly area lately, in case that has anything to do with it.

But now I find myself obsessed with the steering, ready to swap out the track bar, install some magic stabilizing brace cause i saw a few youtube guys promote it (further reading on that Synergy brace makes me realize i do not want to go down that route) and do whatever else i need to make it acceptable to drive, when it occurs to me that I shouldn't have to do that for a brand new 50k vehicle.

So, what should normal steering on the JL feel like? I loathe taking a car to the dealer for them to tell me nothing is wrong, so if there is something wrong, how can i defend/prove my position? Never had a solid front axle before, and I currently drive a 2016 Ram. The Ram ride/steering is light-years better/different than the Jeep.

(sorry, long winded)

IMG_1455 2.jpg
If there is one huge factor that has an effect on the steering it would be tire pressure . I ended up going down to about 32 psi in the front and 35 in the rear and I can't say I have any issues with wondering wheels.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
My 2020 rubicon drives like crap too... I’ve improved it with adding a bunch of castor via adjustable lower control arms... it has helped. Next I’ve adjusted the steering box .. that too has helped a bit... next is the synergy bracket and also heavier track bar.
That Synergy bracket is a big pain in the ass to install for absolutely no benefit.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
One thing I have noticed is those who mention wanderings issues aren't those coming from a JL or even a JK. Solid axles are an attack on all sense when going over bumps. You couldn't call it a Jeep if it didn't have them though.

I'm coming from a TJ, ZJ as well as having driven/rented multiple JL's. The wondering is not something I've ever experienced on a solid axle vehicle. My TJ with a huge lift is not the greatest on road, but it doesn't wonder like the JL's I've driven. I have a JLURD on order, however I won't accept delivery if it wonders like I've experienced.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
And you've got the 4dr, 2dr kicks that up a notch or two :(
But you won't fall asleep at the wheel that's for sure!
DEFINITELY. I was getting heart palpitations that day. Getting blown 4-6 feet into the opposite lane, then having to hard correct back to the right and hoping I didn't go off the road into a ditch.

Sponsored

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
For, um, research purposes, how many cases of beer should I try? “But honey, the internet said I had to put 15 cases of beer in the back to see if it helps the steering”
To truly dial it in, you will need a step-down weighted scientific process to study all the levers at play here. Start with the back filled to the brim with cases. Slowly "take away" cases over time. Best to have a driver who is outside of the experiment help with moving the vehicle so you can "make proper notes". Pro-tip: switch to voice memos after about halfway done. Notes will become illegible.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
I have a '20 JLUR and got it in December. I felt a bit more of a need to correct a slight darty feel at freeway speeds and need to focus on my driving in multiple lane driving at freeway speeds in Phoenix. Reducing the air pressure helped a lot. Now I am running 35" Ridge Grapler tires and am relatively satisfied with the ride. Still.....I need to correct the Jeep a bit more than I would like. It's not "effortless" driving as in a sedan or as in my "old" Grand Cherokee. Some of this may be doubts in my mind from reading too many forums?? I'm satisfied......but always reading.

I plan to get another Jeep owner that has driven a wrangler for some time to drive mine and compare the handling to his, etc. if I KNEW I could improve my freeway handling a bit.....I'd likely add the components to do so. I drive it for recreation only.....so it's fine for my purposes.

Last edited:

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Start documenting all correspondences and repair orders just in case it's not you that is the problem but the actual jeep. Many mods and buybacks being made for faulty steering boxes.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
JL Steering Troubleshooting

1. Perform the powers steering reset procedure. Several people have reported success even after upgrading several components didn’t make a difference.

2. Check torque on all steering and suspension parts.

3. Get an alignment report print out so you can at least document caster, camber, toe, steer ahead, etc. Many have reported increasing caster improves steering.

4. Print out the steering Star case which shows how to check the steering box, confirms that steering and suspension parts torque should be checked, etc.

5. Test drive another JL from the dealer lot so you have something to defend when they say “it’s a Jeep thing” and tell them you want your JL to steer like the one that steers correctly.

6. Test drive with and without the steering stabilizer which people have reported the cause of several different symptoms.

7. Of course verify your tire pressure isn’t way over the door jam of 37PSI. Some say dropping it to 32PSI helps.

Steering Star Case: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243 Dated 2018 but troubleshooting info still applies.

Torque Specs: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rangler-jl-steering-related-components.18510/

Power Steering Reset Procedure: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...as-play-and-drifts.3691/page-405#post-1132084

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I've been asking my wife several times per week if she is having any trouble with her Recon and loose steering, since people on the forums say it is common on all of the JL Wranglers. She insisted again today that she has had no problem with it at all and even offered to let me drive it to see for myself. I'll take her word for it. She uses it as her DD to work, including around 10 miles on the highway each way, so she would know if there was a problem.

I did drive it several hours on the highway soon after she bought when we were meeting up with some friends and I didn't give any thought to loose steering. That was before I started reading these kinds of threads. However, I don't think anything would be different if I drive it for another highway speed trip now.

What I would really like to do is drive one of these loose steering Jeeps and see for myself what all the hubbub is about.
Sponsored