Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
No, ever since I "I" tightened up my steering components, my steering has been a lot better.
Do you have a way to contact the FCA engineers that you visited with to ping them for an update? My JL steering is fixed, but there is a lot of people out there still waiting for an official fix.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Wow!!! I just noticed this as well. I have not heard anything from the Engineers from FCA even though I was told within a week I would get a call. I think they are about to release some information about the steering issue. I am just waiting now before posting an updated video myself.
Many more reports of death wobble at 70mph being reported in the other thread. Loose steering, steering lock up and now death wobble. Jeep just can’t win. What about the 3.9 million miles of testing? Oh, I guess those 3.9 million miles didn’t include actual production parts.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I found this. It was posted late Friday night October 26th. They left out to check the tire pressure, which should be the first step. I think the Star case that jmcdtucson said he saw at the dealer's service desk yesterday might be a newer, updated version of this one.

UPDATED WITH FEBRUARY 26, 2019 NOTICE WITH PART NUMBERS:

S1819000003 Feb 2019 updated version-1.jpg

S1819000003 Feb 2019 updated version-2.jpg

S1819000003 Feb 2019 updated version-3.jpg

starcase1.jpg

starcase2.jpg

starcase3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Tl5glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Fireman
Well I took my Jeep JL to the dealer yesterday and talked to them about my loose steering showed them this thread and they adjusted my gear box 3/16 and the difference is night and day. They gave me no problems at all, I gave the mechanic the link to this thread and 5 hours later they called me and said it was fixed....no charge!!! I have to say I did not think they would do it and surprisingly they gave me absolutely no problem and we’re willing to even read something off a forum. I’m shocked and now my JL drives better then when I drove it off their lot.

Dreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU MOAB, '13 Nissan 370Z Roadster
Well I took my Jeep JL to the dealer yesterday and talked to them about my loose steering showed them this thread and they adjusted my gear box 3/16 and the difference is night and day. They gave me no problems at all, I gave the mechanic the link to this thread and 5 hours later they called me and said it was fixed....no charge!!! I have to say I did not think they would do it and surprisingly they gave me absolutely no problem and we’re willing to even read something off a forum. I’m shocked and now my JL drives better then when I drove it off their lot.
What exactly did the dealer do with regard to "they adjusted my gear box 3/16" ? Thanks

Tl5glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Fireman
What exactly did the dealer do with regard to "they adjusted my gear box 3/16" ? Thanks
They tightened it 3/16 of inch just like the guy in the video that now is deleted.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
They tightened it 3/16 of inch just like the guy in the video that now is deleted.
I imagine they rotated the set screw 3/16 of a turn (about 67 degrees) from the original setting which tightens up the gear lash.

Glad you had a positive dealer experience.

Interesting that FCA is advising dealers against making that adjustment as noted in the STAR case above. They are stating if the steering box fails the torque test, then to replace the box. Wonder how many replacement boxes you have to test before finding one that passes the test.

Maybe FCA asked Jeep Informant to remove his steering videos.

Last edited:

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering
Would like to find a dealer like that in my area. Who is your dealer?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jl-Family

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Cnc machine programmer
I have a jl with 1,000 miles on it and I feel like the steering is very loose when at center. My dealer service manager told me “it’s an off road vehicle it’s not gonna drive like a car” . I accepted that answer being as this is my first Wrangler but I’ve been looking into it and it does seem like there is a steering problem with the jl . Why try to cover it up ? Just help us fix it .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I have a jl with 1,000 miles on it and I feel like the steering is very loose when at center. My dealer service manager told me “it’s an off road vehicle it’s not gonna drive like a car” . I accepted that answer being as this is my first Wrangler but I’ve been looking into it and it does seem like there is a steering problem with the jl . Why try to cover it up ? Just help us fix it .
See post # 2127 , above yours , referencing marino cjr in Chicago , which fixed his steering based on ideas from this forum . Have your dealer service manager call the marino cjr service manager .

tom231

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport. 2018 F-150 XLT Sport
Mine has the loose steering also. It's not that bad if it's not windy, but 2 weeks ago we were having high winds in the area and it was hard to keep on the road. Between this and my radio not holding time, I'm beginning to have doubts about my first ever Jeep purchase. BTW, it only has 500 miles on it.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Print and hand this to that service manager. This should help. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243
Sponsored