Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Owner/operator of Vanity Fur Grooming Salon
Vehicle Showcase
This is an exact description of how my steering is. When I remove my hands, it drives straight...when I rest my elbow on my left thigh and use one hand to keep it straight (positioned at the bottom of the wheel), I had to adjust it slightly but frequently. When i move my arm up and rest my elbow on the door and slightly touch the steering wheel...no adjustments need to be made. I think my issue is more so as you mentioned: "forcing inputs back into the steering".

I've seen others' issues on the forum and their's are totally different! Even scary sometimes from what is described and video recorded.
I’m so glad I read your post! I thought I was just crazy! I’ve only had my JL for three days and was wondering why I felt like I was fighting to keep it straight. I noticed if I put my arm out the window, it wasn’t as bad. I started searching through the forum to find out if this is normal. Will take the survey. Thanks!!
Sponsored

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Not sure if this will help but it did help me.
I was advised by a evo manufacturing rep that the control arms on the jl are tightened down with absurd amounts of pressure, and that loosening them and putting them back on to spec would alleviate alot of the sway and chop issues. I did as advised and the jeep seems to wander much less and feels significantly less jarring over regular road imperfections. Getting those bolts loose required a large breaker bar and a pretty absurd amount of force. Hope this helps.
Did you tighten the lower control arms or all of them?

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Did you tighten the lower control arms or all of them?
I only did the lower control arms. Also I seem to have fixed the problem entirely by tightening a few bolts held in place by cotter pins.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I only did the lower control arms. Also I seem to have fixed the problem entirely by tightening a few bolts held in place by cotter pins.
What torque did you tighten them to? Edit: I see you said 100 in another post.

Did you do both the axle location and frame location?

Thanks.

I don’t know if you watched the new jeep informant video on steering. He does a bunch a adjustments. Tightenen the ball joint castle nuts, replaced steering box, adjusted gear lash in steering box and added caster to front axle.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks.

I don’t know if you watched the new jeep informant video on steering. He does a bunch a adjustments. Tightenen the ball joint castle nuts, replaced steering box, adjusted gear lash in steering box and added caster to front axle.

I did. Tightening the lower ball joint castle nuts solved it for me.

Sponsored

Skipswift

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

Thanks.

Wonder if @JeepCares has seen this and shared with their engineers.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Just to make sure, you tighten to 100 ft lbs instead of 190 that is called by Jeep right? I think that's what it says in the attachment.

654CFAED-591F-45B6-9EE4-8AE810C65706.png

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to make sure, you tighten to 100 ft lbs instead of 190 that is called by Jeep right? I think that's what it says in the attachment.

654CFAED-591F-45B6-9EE4-8AE810C65706.png
Im not sure what torque I put on those bolts. Its gotta be past 100. I loosened them so that the tension would free up and allow for slight movement forward and backwards. I have noticed though that after doing so I can hear the control arms clicking when I go over bumps. I have been meaning to have them tightened down more then I can with brute force. I just have not done it yet because it doesnt bother me enough to go out of my way and I also plan on moving to adjustable control arms sooner then later anyways.

Tylerjcloud92

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport
I have ben driving jeep now for over 12 years...had a YJ .... TJ .... JK....CJ....and now a JL....well soon I will lol.... but one thing I know the play you have on the steering wheel will save all the moving steering components and give you more control over harsh roads .... if it wasn't for that play your quick response steering wheels would put extra stress on the components causing premature wear to your ball joints and everything with a screw or weld. When your boucing around on dirt roads the last thing you want is quick response steering that will drive you of the road. :)
Not at all, if the Jeep is wandering all over the road you’re causing more wear by constantly course correcting and changing direction. With tight steering your making minimal input and the Jeep is driving straight with little stress on anything. Bumpy roads in this thing suck the steering is so vague you have no idea where to even start to correct bump steer, not to mention hydroplaning is just sketchy a bumpy water covered road is the JL’s worst nightmare. Loose steering is bad steering, I don’t see any scenario where having less control over the front wheels is advantageous.

Sponsored

MACCTM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Honda Fury motorcycle, Infiniti QX30
Here's my 2 cents and worth every penny. I took on the task of adjusting the steering box the other day. For those that read, it was a nightmare. The lock nut was super tight and when it finally broke free the adjustment screw for lack of a better term was stuck to the nut. To make things worse the allen bolt slot easily stripped. I persevered and finally got to the adjustment phase. I have to tell you, and maybe I'm crazy, but the steering is much improved. It steers a bit more firmly and there is very little play. It wanders less and the slightest correction doesn't send it into over correction like it did before. I will say that while it was annoying, my steering issues didn't feel unsafe like others have described. It was wandering just enough to make it hard to text and drive (kidding folks, please don't go off on your typical high horse rants; you know who you are).

It now feels like I remember my JKs feeling. I'll look at the control arm nuts this coming weekend. In case it matters I bought mine in July so it was probably made in May? I'll look and update if I'm way off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Holymoly1963

Holymoly1963

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3, Wrangler JL Sport with bad steering

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I just drove back from Oshkosh to West Chicago in my 2013 Rubicon 10A driving at 75 mph the whole way on the highway and had no issues whatsoever. I have an order in for a 2018 Rubicon but seeing so many mentions of steering issues with the new Jeeps, I might just keep mine and kill the whole idea of the 2018. We'll see.

It could be bad, or it could be fine. Mine is fine. I have kept an open mind and tried to recreate the problems I am reading about on the forum and I can't. They are real, but don't affect every Jeep or even most Jeeps.

The problem is if you have the issue they don't fix it. They either say it is normal or do 25 different things that all sort of help but don't fix it. So I would say give it a good test drive and if it wanders tell them to keep it.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I drove one ruby and the other sport. The ruby was fine the sport had frequent inputs needed. It liked to wander.
I think that the steering is highly susceptible to road imperfections, and thus the wandering. I noticed it when I was breaking in the new KO2's, as well as my brand new KM3's, after a wheel and tire upgrade. After the tires wear in, the steering seems to settle down. Also, to another's point, lowering the PSI a bit also helps. Beyond that, I added a Teraflex Nexus 2.1 Stabilizer and that improved things even more. I've not tried it in the "firm" setting as of yet as I've not been on a long highway trip, but I'm curious how much that helps at highway speeds.

Granted there are some here that do have serious steering issues, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority of us have "normal" steering wandering.
Sponsored