roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This is just like my bird hunting trips. I started out with tons of stuff and eventually whittled it down to essentials and some modest level of unexpected/emergency gear.

Those traction boards are for my expedition retracing the Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad, across the Mojave desert, now rescheduled until cooler weather. Lots of sand out there.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I carry my fridge and tools to the mall and I only carry the factory jack when I wheel alone 🤷‍♂️

Nobodies load out will be the same; take what makes you comfortable, you can pare down in time. The biggest consideration for me is trail traffic, I’ll carry more into remote easy trails with no traffic than I will into big trails with traffic.

Your load out sounds similar to my every day carry shy of the jack and traction boards. I’m always reaching for tools or a chair or whatever that just “lives in the Jeep”. It’s a very handy vehicle

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sounds similar to all the stuff I have for mine minus the jacks. I have a few basic tools. Fridge is dependent on how long the trip is. I also have a dog so I take a separate first aid kit and food and water just for him. I feel like I need a better jack than just the factory scissor jack.
I have a friend that's an experienced wheeler that owns a respected large 4x4 shop. Who once mentioned he prefered using a scissor jack for most issues, if possible. So, I made up some oversized scissor jacks (they come in pairs). They are 24" 7500 lb jacks which I've modified the top to bolt on two different saddles, one for the frame and one for any round tube (axle or my rock rails). One of these will to high enough to lift both wheels on one side using either the frame or rock rail.

(5) Custom Jacks | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have a friend that's an experienced wheeler that owns a respected large 4x4 shop. Who once mentioned he prefered using a scissor jack for most issues, if possible. So, I made up some oversized scissor jacks (they come in pairs). They are 24" 7500 lb jacks which I've modified the top to bolt on two different saddles, one for the frame and one for any round tube (axle or my rock rails). One of these will to high enough to lift both wheels on one side using either the frame or rock rail.

(5) Custom Jacks | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

I like this. I’ve always been hesitant to run high lift jacks and the like, especially if I’ve got a winch.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I usually bring a sandwich, a bag of chips, water and my recovery gear for a trail run. I carry a SPOT GPS locator with me in case of an emergency.

That's it.

A small coordless impact and an adjustable wrench could help in a pinch. I have both but honestly I only bring the adjustable wrench in case I need to adjust something with the quick discos or tighten a bolt or something.

If you are not wheeling alone and have a winch traction boards seem useless to me. The times I've gotten stuck the winch easily and safely always pulls me out. But if you already invested in traction boards I guess why not.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I usually bring a sandwich, a bag of chips, water and my recovery gear for a trail run. I carry a SPOT GPS locator with me in case of an emergency.

That's it.
As I've gotten older, I've given a lot of thought to a Spot. I hunt alone sometimes (me and the dog) and I could be a couple miles from the vehicle, over a ridge or whatnot. Terrain can be steep and rocky or other hazards, and then there's just the old people parts to consider. I think it's a good thing. I'll probably give in and get one this year.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
As I've gotten older, I've given a lot of thought to a Spot. I hunt alone sometimes (me and the dog) and I could be a couple miles from the vehicle, over a ridge or whatnot. Terrain can be steep and rocky or other hazards, and then there's just the old people parts to consider. I think it's a good thing. I'll probably give in and get one this year.
Yeah I get it they cost some money and you also gotta pay for the service. But here out west there are too many places without cell service and water. It would be really stupid for me to die out of heat and lack of water in the middle of nowhere when I could instead be home safe in a few hours thanks to the little spot device. I also hunt, mountain bike, ski, etc...

You can also set it up to ping your location to a cellphone (like your wife or family member or wtver) in case of an emergency. So you are not calling S.O.S services in case of a minor incident. Although now that I think about it, if my wife received that message she would probably call the freaking white house.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Spot is the worst of the bunch, garmin inreach has better coverage but it’s still a bit limited. If you don’t want the ability to send messages a PLB is the best thing to get, punches through cover/canyons better than the combo sos/communicators do, due to different freq and power transmitting, it also reaches out to a wider range of identification devices.

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't know about two jacks, but three jacks is generally a winning hand
But not 3 one-eyed jacks. That'll get you shot. And technically, I had 3 jacks with me, it you count that little factory jack.

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
For a day trip, I take lunch, water and recovery gear. I also take tools, and extra fluids (oil, antifreeze, gear oil, etc) along with a compressor and a patch kit. I always also make sure to have a bail out back pack with an MRE or two, extra water, hat, jacket, knife, and a belt holster if I have to walk out. What I pack varies depending on what the season is too.
Sponsored