Too much RTV?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's not a frigging bathtub! Too much is not better than too little. That crap will not stay put. It'll be all over in a few thousand miles.

Don't bother taking it back to the dealer. They'll just scrape off the outside.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a frigging bathtub! Too much is not better than too little. That crap will not stay put. It'll be all over in a few thousand miles.

Don't bother taking it back to the dealer. They'll just scrape off the outside.
Um… what? That crap isn’t going anywhere. My lower oil pan looked exactly like the OP’s pics when I had it done 10k+ miles ago. It looks the same today:

9603C7F7-6D85-4E68-9D8E-9ADD1E58B176.jpeg

2+ page thread about nothing

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I’m not saying for certain that the inside is fine, just addressing the idea that the large amount of excess on the outside will “not stay put” and will be “all over” in a few thousand miles.

Wait did you mean “all over the place” or “all over” as in the engine will be done?
When RTV became all the rage for engine sealing in the 80s, we started to find it in the pan, the valley, and in the heads when working on engines. The bits and pieces were getting into everything. An engine is a bit of a meat grinder. Nothing is static in an engine. Any pieces that fall off and make their way to the pan, eventually get pulverIzed by the rotating parts and/or sucked up against or thru the pickup screen. A lot of engine mechanics stopped using it and went back to traditional methods. I did too. But once mechanics started using it in a more controlled manner, RTV started showing some advantages. Where and how a sealer is used is as important as what you use. I still have a certain love-hate feeling about RTV. This same story of concerns played out for similar reasons with a product called Hylomar years before the silicone surge.

As for killing an engine, yes it can. There are plenty of experiences where it has happened. I've been fortunate to not have it kill any engine of mine. Others are not as lucky. Like with the 2022 GR86 debacle going on. (1) RTV Silicone In Your GR86 or BRZ Oil Pickup? Here's How To Clean It - YouTube

It's not the RTV that is the concern, it's how it's used.

Sponsored

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I just looked at parts diagram, Mopar lists a gasket for the oil pan. Why would the dealer not use a factor y gasket?