Sponsored

Too much RTV?

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Looks fine to me. Could have wiped the excess before it dried or cut it off with a knife for style points but whatever it’s not a trailer queen. Once some dirt and grime gets on there you won’t even notice it. Doubt it’ll leak.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
When I was 16 yrs old, doing this myself, I did a better job at sealing my pans valve covers and differentials, than that dealership did. I didn't have anyone to show me how, and just was winging it back then.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Looks fine to me.
eec201c458f19ba781c6046a31a701fe.jpg

As already mentioned, though.....it’s the integrity of the re-seal job on the inside of the oil pan that has the potential to cause issues down the road.

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Thanks for all the replies. This is another picture from it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Too much RTV? 5EACCA5E-EA16-4731-9996-1DAD76496C31

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
eec201c458f19ba781c6046a31a701fe.jpg

As already mentioned, though.....it’s the integrity of the re-seal job on the inside of the oil pan that has the potential to cause issues down the road.
I know. I’m willing to bet there’ll be no issues. You can’t tell what the inside looks like based on what the outside looks like. I’ve seen applications like that that were just fine. Just lots of goop on the outside. If the inside was bad but the tech wiped the excess off for style points this post wouldn’t exist. I’m curious to see how the dealership responds to the request to redo the job. Doesn’t matter to me either way just curious how that plays out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Good Lord, this is the kind of stuff we're taking our vehicles to the dealer to address. No wonder they have no appointments available or time to talk to a walk-in customer. It appears they made the repair and if it is unpleasant to your eye, use a sharp blade to cut it back. If you can crawl under there for a pic, you can take care of the unpleasantness for gawd sake.

OP
OP
JlRubicon13

JlRubicon13

First Name
Davi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door wrangler rubicon
Good Lord, this is the kind of stuff we're taking our vehicles to the dealer to address. No wonder they have no appointments available or time to talk to a walk-in customer. It appears they made the repair and if it is unpleasant to your eye, use a sharp blade to cut it back. If you can crawl under there for a pic, you can take care of the unpleasantness for gawd sake.
Not concerned with what it looks like. Want a job well done that won’t leave sealant parts inside the engine. If it wasn't under warranty I wouldn’t be taking to the dealer. If some parts get loose, it can be very bad long term for the engine. Just do some research about it and you will see.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
As someone that was once ASE certified in engine repair (A1) and having built a couple, I'm pretty aware that loose parts can be bad for the engine. Taking a trip to the dealer about excess silicone seems just as excessive, and easier to take care of yourself.

But I guess I can research it: If some parts get loose...

sherpaJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito! ~ 2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Using excessive RTV will cause the RTV to ooze outside the flange area. Later, as oil contacts the surfaces, that excess RTV will dislodge and cause oil gallery obstructions or clog filters or screens.

More isn’t always better. Especially with RTV. What happens when you use too much RTV sealant?

It breaks off inside the engine and forms small hard pieces that clog up oil ports, coolant passages, and cause damage to the engine. You may never even realize it, but using too much RTV on your oil pan gasket can lead to oil starvation. Bad things will follow.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I’m curious to see how the dealership responds to the request to redo the job.
At most they'll trim it off in 5 minutes, hang on to the rig for an hour or two, then give it back and say sorry.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Pull the pan and have a look inside. That "Goop Job" would scare me. I don't care what some internet mechanics say. If that much goo'ed out the outside, it had to be one hell of a large bead, and no "Lip" on the inside will catch that.

failsafe306

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 2.0
Build Thread
Link
Most service manuals I’ve read specify how wide the bead is supposed to be applied…

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
At most they'll trim it off in 5 minutes, hang on to the rig for an hour or two, then give it back and say sorry.
Yep … I would paint faint lines one of the pan bolts to ensure the pan was actually removed.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Found a link to an old file photo of a re-seal I did on a 68RFE six speed automatic transmission service on a 2007.5 RAM 3500 Cummins I previously owned.

Jeep Wrangler JL Too much RTV? dcp04419-

Very little residual RTV oozed out of the edges of the pan.
Sponsored