How much roll is too much?

• Total voters

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
I saw up to 38 degrees of pitch in Moab on Fins and Hells Revenge a few weeks ago. I've seen roll up to 29 degrees at Windrock park where we regularly wheel. This is a JLUR with a MC GC3.5 and 37" KM3's.
Sponsored

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Plenty of rookie numbers here.

Over 30 roll starts feeling suspect. But it's ok long as you go slow to keep momentum on your side.

I've been at 48 degree uphill pitch. That's ok if the rear is planted.

I was at 37 degrees roll on Front Range trail Sand Hollow. 8 rating. I think it would have flopped if i wasn't jammed in a crack at the time. I think it was this... Front wheel in the air..

Jeep Wrangler JL How much pitch & roll is too much? Screenshot_20230326_195753_Gallery

I did flop on another 8 rated trail, but lucky it was against a rock wall. Id guess low to mid 30 degrees.

That's all with 3.5 lift on 37s.

Fyi The Chute at Sand Hollow is a ~30 pitch.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
When we get in a questionable pitch angle I get my wife and kids too ride on the upside rock rail. :idea:

Reactions: J0E

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
I've hit 30 degrees on roll a couple times, super clenchy, but I know I can probably go to 35 at least before I should really start getting concerned. In at the point where mid 20s are just another thing now.

In 2021 we went to the Bronco Offrodeo, which besides being meant to give you a cool experience driving a bunch of Broncos through Moab, it was also a decent offroad course for beginners. All of the instructors are experienced off roaders. We asked them this question, and one guy responded saying he doesn't start getting worried until 40.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
30 isn’t too bad. Got a lil worse later at SMORR Jeep Jamboree today
Jeep Wrangler JL How much pitch & roll is too much? Screenshot_20230326_195753_Gallery
Per ChatGPT
At extreme angles, the vehicle is more likely to roll over with the sway bar disconnected because the weight transfer is not controlled as effectively. The sway bar helps transfer weight from the outside wheels to the inside wheels during turns, which helps keep the vehicle level and stable. When it's disconnected, the weight transfer is less controlled, and the vehicle is more prone to tipping over.

Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Per ChatGPT
At extreme angles, the vehicle is more likely to roll over with the sway bar disconnected because the weight transfer is not controlled as effectively. The sway bar helps transfer weight from the outside wheels to the inside wheels during turns, which helps keep the vehicle level and stable. When it's disconnected, the weight transfer is less controlled, and the vehicle is more prone to tipping over.
People just need to remember it's not about the angle of the surface you're on, it's about the roll in the jeep. If you're on a 30 degree off camber section, your jeep will be more than 30, especially with the sway bar disco.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
People just need to remember it's not about the angle of the surface you're on, it's about the roll in the jeep. If you're on a 30 degree off camber section, your jeep will be more than 30, especially with the sway bar disco.
The axles yes, the body, no. I'm guessing the roll number comes from the body angle.

But totally agreed, anything over 30 is risky, you just need to drop off a rock, or jam on the brakes etc and it's game on.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
The axles yes, the body, no. I'm guessing the roll number comes from the body angle.

But totally agreed, anything over 30 is risky, you just need to drop off a rock, or jam on the brakes etc and it's game on.
But most ppl don't remember to connect the sway bar at high roll angles. My wife gets out and walks after 22. I get spooked over 27 (on 38's).

Pitch doesn't bother us. Too bad this thread is mixing pitch and roll.

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
But most ppl don't remember to connect the sway bar at high roll angles. My wife gets out and walks after 22. I get spooked over 27 (on 38's).

Pitch doesn't bother us. Too bad this thread is mixing pitch and roll.
I almost mentioned the same thing, you'll usually lose traction long before you tip forward or backwards when it comes to pitch. Having said that, extreme pitch does mean you don't have to add much roll to get into a pickle.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I've hit 34 degrees of roll and that was the first time I've ever really been scared in the Jeep. Yeah, I should have asked one of the people around to spot me. It was just at Mini Moab a few miles behind my house.

A few weeks ago at the sand dunes in Oregon hitting 33 degrees of pitch while dropping over the top of a dune eventually become "meh" and we stopped looking at the numbers. That's surprising since my wife is extremely bothered by heights.
Sponsored