What actually _is_ normal steering?

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
We bought our first Jeep in December and I would say the steering "takes some getting used to". It definitely requires a bit more input, but in my opinion, that just makes it more fun to drive and helps keeps you focused on the road. My 16 year old daughter drives it, and since she has nothing to compare it to, has never complained. I would suggest driving another JL and see if the steering is similar to make sure yours is "normal". Welcome to the Jeep family! She's a beaut.
Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
With the solid axles, where I really curse them is driving on my unpaved 2 mile road every day. The return trip side is a 14% grade with HORRIFIC washboarding that never really goes away.

Unless I drive 15 mph or under, the Jeep will float and sometimes go a little sideways. I'm talking white knuckle, scare the shit out of your passenger, away-we-go-don't-look-down feeling of no control for about 2 seconds.

In my wife's Honda CRV, it feels a little bumpy. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

On pavement it needs frequent correction, but I'd say it's pretty normal for a box-shaped schooner like a JLUR.

But crosswinds WILL make you wish you were back in a sedan. I had to drive nearly 6 hours in 40-50mph wind. My steering wheel was turned about 50degrees to the left nearly the entire time, just to keep going straight.

Jeep thing.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
With the solid axles, where I really curse them is driving on my unpaved 2 mile road every day. The return trip side is a 14% grade with HORRIFIC washboarding that never really goes away.

Unless I drive 15 mph or under, the Jeep will float and sometimes go a little sideways. I'm talking white knuckle, scare the shit out of your passenger, away-we-go-don't-look-down feeling of no control for about 2 seconds.

In my wife's Honda CRV, it feels a little bumpy. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

On pavement it needs frequent correction, but I'd say it's pretty normal for a box-shaped schooner like a JLUR.

But crosswinds WILL make you wish you were back in a sedan. I had to drive nearly 6 hours in 40-50mph wind. My steering wheel was turned about 50degrees to the left nearly the entire time, just to keep going straight.

Jeep thing.
I LOVE driving in crosswinds because it forces my steering out of the dead zone and steers normally.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I've owned and driven multiple wranglers over the years and still have a 2001 TJ mostly for off-road. Have been on fence about purchasing a new JLU and have not only test driven a few but have rented a couple. I can say, almost every JLU has had wondering, more so than any wrangler or other solid axle jeep I have driven. It's concerning to me and no - it's not how jeeps steer. My TJ had no wondering when new and even now with 20 years under it's belt, lifts, large tires and a lot of armor the steering isn't much worse. They've got something dialed in wrong and for whatever reason don't wan to admit and fix.
Wife really wants the JLU, but giving up her '14 Grand Cherokee may be tough.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Jeep thing.
And you've got the 4dr, 2dr kicks that up a notch or two :(
But you won't fall asleep at the wheel that's for sure!

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I guess this wandering steering is hit or miss, although I do not understand why. They all roll off the same assembly line, built with much of the same components.

My wife's 2020 Recon does not wander. I've driven it on residential streets and the highway. I have an '18 Grand Cherokee High Altitude and I'd say the steering on her Jeep seems about the same as on my GC. The suspension feels a little more solid but that's to be expected.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP: congratulations an...sorry...!

I wish I could offer you a solution, but the fact is that this steering issue has been going on for three years and there’s still no consistent fix from FCA.

It may be worthwhile to let the dealer know your concern, if for no other reason that it gets documented into the system. If you are among the lucky few, your dealer may even take your concern seriously and put some effort into fixing, or at least mitigating, the problem.

Wish you good luck.

OP
OP
JavaRunner

JavaRunner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Thanks all. I think the tough part is knowing if there really is something wrong, or if it is just because it is a different class vehicle than what we are used to. And since the dealers hold the power in this situation, I'm just trying to fend off the "Its just a jeep thing" line to shut me up.

If it's just the fact that we are not used to it, but it is still perfectly safe, so be it. Many thousands of people drive Wranglers every day. But if it is something that isn't the way it is supposed to be, I want it fixed.

par4bmw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5 & Porsche Macan S
Sorry to hear your experience. I had a 2007 JK followed by a 2005 JY. The JY Rubi was not a great driver and I had it most recent and lots of years after the JK. Had to sell it almost 3 years ago to move.

Missed having a Jeep and started a search. The first Rubi I tested was a recon and the steering was a mess. Honestly was as bad as the JY. Wife drove and could not take it at all, She liked the JY for city but not highway and felt the one we drove was worse.

Drove two more including my Jeep and both drove better than the Jk, meaning they blew the JY out of the water. We both could not believe how bad the Recon one was and how the others were even better than our good driving JK.

Test drive another and see if it is different feel than yours. If it is, keep on your dealer to get it right. If it also drives rough to you, probably means Jeeps don’t fit the handling your looking for.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all. I think the tough part is knowing if there really is something wrong, or if it is just because it is a different class vehicle than what we are used to. And since the dealers hold the power in this situation, I'm just trying to fend off the "Its just a jeep thing" line to shut me up.

If it's just the fact that we are not used to it, but it is still perfectly safe, so be it. Many thousands of people drive Wranglers every day. But if it is something that isn't the way it is supposed to be, I want it fixed.
I’ve owned nine Wranglers; none had such loose steering as to feel terrifying. My JL is totally stock and has a decent steering. Not the best, but not horrible.

However, it did take test driving a dozen JLs to find one with the options, in the color, at the price...and with a steering feel that I could live with. The steering on some of the other JLs I test drove was pretty bad.
Sponsored