Steering wheel play..how much is "normal"

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
I have about 1/2" play, do have to adjust at highway speed, otherwise on street, no issue.
Kind of annoying in a way, the jeep is so solid on street, but wandering in lane at highway.
Sponsored

MTN1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl Sport S
Took the JL to the lake house for the weekend, 2hr drive, horrible ride jeep all over the road, constantly steering left rignt, starting to hate this thing!!!!!

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I know that this isn't the case for everyone,but it seems that people's complaints about the steering looseness drops off dramatically after they get some milage on their Jeep.

MTN1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl Sport S
What have you done to it so far to fix the problem? Are you stock or lifted?
I have RD 2,1\2 spacer lift with 35ko2, when I got the jl I took back to dealer stock and one of the mechanics for a ride as said wow this thing wanders, then I took back month.later to check and.was told it was fine bullshit , this thing sucks, taking back Wednesday , we will see, if nothing changes let's go bronco, hate driving highway, all over the place

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Have your dealer adjust your steering box. Here is an example video on a JK, same type of adjustment. They adjusted mine and it fixed the problem. Took them 5 minutes when they finally drove mine into the service bay.

Thanks for your post I know it was done some time ago.
(I've adjusted steering boxes on cars many years ago. I learned to do it slowly, in small increments. ) I haven't touched our JL steering box. Access is a problem for me. So this is something I shall encourage the dealer to do.

Sponsored

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
My 2020 Rubi rides like a bullet and friends of mine that are recent Jeep owners have no issues with steering of any kind.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Thanks for your post I know it was done some time ago.
(I've adjusted steering boxes on cars many years ago. I learned to do it slowly, in small increments. ) I haven't touched our JL steering box. Access is a problem for me. So this is something I shall encourage the dealer to do.
I just got around to doing mine today, and it didn't have any locktite at all on the jam nut. It spun freely with an allen key.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I just got around to doing mine today, and it didn't have any locktite at all on the jam nut. It spun freely with an allen key.

The jam nut from all accounts will loosen OK, from what others have said it is the allen insert screw that is locktited to the jam nut. Did the allen screw move freely from the jam nut?

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
The jam nut from all accounts will loosen OK, from what others have said it is the allen insert screw that is locktited to the jam nut. Did the allen screw move freely from the jam nut?
Yes, there was no locktite anywhere, and I was able to adjust it very easily after loosening the jam nut. Loosening the jam nut from the top of the steering box was the hardest part. It's on pretty tight. As soon as it broke loose, I was able to adjust the inner with an allen wrench.

Turned it in about an eigth of a turn, maybe slightly more. I erred on the side of caution, as I don't want premature wear or to risk the steering box locking up on me.

Yellow line is mine, the green is the factory setting:
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering wheel  play..how much is "normal" IMG_20200726_141839

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That's good news.
Your post helps a lot.

Sponsored

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I’m so glad I read your post! I thought I was just crazy! I’ve only had my JL for three days and was wondering why I felt like I was fighting to keep it straight. I noticed if I put my arm out the window, it wasn’t as bad. I started searching through the forum to find out if this is normal. Will take the survey. Thanks!!
You may be onto something with your arm out the window. Similar to an airplane rudder, it might just need a little "trim".