Sponsored

Turbo vs V6?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
How slow do you drive on the freeway to get such great fuel economy? I didn't get better than 20 mpg stock and with the 2.5" lift and 37's combined with 80 mph speed limits in Utah we averaged 14.2 on our moab trip.
My JLR gets massively better mileage at 65 MPH vs. 80 MPH...
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
My JLR gets massively better mileage at 65 MPH vs. 80 MPH...
Time is money, I'll shave 3 hours off my 1,000 mile drive for the extra ~25 gallons of fuel. Well worth $75. I'd want to run my self off the road driving 65mph in Utah with triple trailers passing me.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
How slow do you drive on the freeway to get such great fuel economy? I didn't get better than 20 mpg stock and with the 2.5" lift and 37's combined with 80 mph speed limits in Utah we averaged 14.2 on our moab trip.
75 minimum

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I posted the below statement on a different tread for fun and it applies here as well. In my past I have owned many jeeps, I have had a JK with the 3.6 and now a JLUR with the 2.0T no e-torque. I like the 2.0T better for pep. I also pull a boat and trailer that combined are over 3000 lbs. with zero issues. I personally don't give a hoot in hell about MPG, if I did I would not own jeeps. What I care about is will it take me where I want to go when I want to go and the answer is YES.

Let me see if I got this right. I buy a vehicle with the aero dynamics of a brick. When I get it home I rip off the plastic bumper, throw on a big metal bumper and that bad to the bone winch. Then I take off the small light street tires put a 4 inch lift, lockers, disconnects, and my brag factor 37 inch mudders on it to help with the aero dynamics of course. I then add some nice heavy rock sliders and a steel rear bumper along with the roof rack. Then I make sure I have 4.10 or lower gears and all the other goodies to make me look cool at the mall. Then I wonder which motor will give me better MPG as I take my super extremely 4 wheel drive capable monster to the dog park.

If you can, drive both the 3.6 and 2.0T in the manner you plan on using your every day jeep than make the choice that works best for that environment.

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
I love my 2.0T fuel eco is wonderful, I weirdly like its sound. I also love how responsive it is, if you need to go quick just lay into it, if you need to crawl just rest your toe on the gas peddle. I will say you will most def\ be happy with either one, I think a lot of people also go for the V6 as its a proven motor the 2.0t is still new so we really don't know what the long term life/problems with it yet.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Drove both a 2.0 and a 3.6 when trying to decide this same thing a few weeks ago. I went in thinking the 3.6 would kick the 2.0's behind so to speak and figured that's what I'd order.

I liked both motors. The 3.6 sounded a bit better, but for highway driving that will be most of my usage, I felt like the 2.0T was excellent and just had more burst to it. And while the 3.6 sounded better, I felt like the 2.0 was generally quieter.

But after driving both and considering that the 3.6 was going to cost me $1,500 more as an upgrade, decided to just go with the 2.0. I might've chosen differently if it were a couple years ago as I believe (I might be wrong on this though) that the 2.0T was more expensive then and I doubt I would've paid more for the 2.0T than a 3.6.

Side not though, I'll probably end up using premium gas with the 2.0T which will probably offset the savings eventually over the next 5 years or so. Although that's probably another preference item that can go either way and there are plenty of threads on that topic too.

So it's tough doing an apples to apple comparison here as I think you have to consider if you think the 3.6 is $1,500 better than the 2.0T.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0 cost more when I custom ordered my 2019, but that didn't sway me a bit after a few dozen back to back comparisons. Not a typo. I drove 2-6 different Jeep's at every dealer on long Island. One of them, that I promised to not name, let me raid their fob lock box. I drove 16 different Jeep's at that dealer. Took most of the day, averaging about 20 minutes per seat. Best part was the salesman not coming along for any of them. Just simply held my license hostage until all fobs were accounted for. Not one time was I left inspired by the 3.6. The 2.0 accelerates effortlessly, whereas the 3.6 needed a larger throttle input and felt like it had to work to accelerate at the same rate.
Jeep Wrangler JL Turbo vs V6? rickflair
Sponsored