CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
Hello Turbo Friends,

It’s been a while!!! I hope everyone has been enjoying their 2.0L as much as I’ve been enjoying mine.

Decision time:
My lease is about to expire in August, and I have to decide if I’m buying my 2018 JLR or trading it for a 2021 model. I noticed that the eTorque is no longer offered with 2.0Ls. Does anyone have thoughts (or experience) on which version is better - 2018 2.0L with eTorque vs. 2021 2.0L solo? Is the difference even truly noticeable? Views on future resale value?

Obviously there are many other factors to consider… but I love my 2018 2.0L JLR, so before I even consider switching to a 2021 model with no eTorque I’d like to make sure it won’t take the fun out of my Turbo.

PS: I wish I could simply test-drive a 2021 Turbo JLR, but there isn’t one near me at the moment, so if anyone has first-hand experience I’d love to hear how the new version compares to the previous generation. Thank you! :like:
Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Hello Turbo Friends,

It’s been a while!!! I hope everyone has been enjoying their 2.0L as much as I’ve been enjoying mine.

Decision time:
My lease is about to expire in August, and I have to decide if I’m buying my 2018 JLR or trading it for a 2021 model. I noticed that the eTorque is no longer offered with 2.0Ls. Does anyone have thoughts (or experience) on which version is better - 2018 2.0L with eTorque vs. 2021 2.0L solo? Is the difference even truly noticeable? Views on future resale value?

Obviously there are many other factors to consider… but I love my 2018 2.0L JLR, so before I even consider switching to a 2021 model with no eTorque I’d like to make sure it won’t take the fun out of my Turbo.

PS: I wish I could simply test-drive a 2021 Turbo JLR, but there isn’t one near me at the moment, so if anyone has first-hand experience I’d love to hear how the new version compares to the previous generation. Thank you! :like:
I ordered my 2021 with the Hurricane 4 cylinder motor specifically because it was the only way I could get it without the incredibly complex E-Torque system and its huge $1500.00 battery. I couldn't be happier with this motor. Even with stock 4.10's and 37" tires it is faster than my JK was with 35's and 4.10's. It is a fantastic motor with the 8 speed auto.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have not driven one without the etorque yet. I have a JLUR '20 with the 2.0T and etorque and like it. If you use the ESS it's more noticeable and not as smooth without the etorque. I don't know how much difference you can really feel driving around with the etorque. From what I've read it only kicks in to aid vehicle movement below 1800rpm, or something like that. The 2.0 is a really good engine. Add a tuner and a tune to it and it gets even better!

I don't know why so many people complain about how complex the etorque system is. It's a generator bolted to the front of the engine, which replaces the alternator. It has an extra 48 volt battery pack instead of the secondary battery that non-etorque engines have. And it has its own small cooling system with and electric coolant pump. The battery pack is warrantied for 8 years, unlike the secondary battery in the non-etorque everyone seems to complain about. I know that battery isn't $1500 but I had to throw that in LOL! And the complexity of the system that controls the etorque generator/motor is nothing compared to the complexity of the engine and auto trans controllers, which nobody is worried about.

I wouldn't worry too much about etorque vs non-etorque. I wouldn't ditch your '18 because it has etorque and I'd definitely get the 2.0T again either way. Is your jeep modded? Does a '21 or '22 add any new features yours is missing and want? Are there options you didn't get on your '18 that you wish you had? (Proximity seems to be a big "I wish I did that") Is the lease buy out a good deal (considering current sky high values)? Could be worth it to buy it and trade it in depending on your contract LOL.

OP
OP
CatskillsAlex

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
I ordered my 2021 with the Hurricane 4 cylinder motor specifically because it was the only way I could get it without the incredibly complex E-Torque system and its huge $1500.00 battery. I couldn't be happier with this motor. Even with stock 4.10's and 37" tires it is faster than my JK was with 35's and 4.10's. It is a fantastic motor with the 8 speed auto.
Thanks for weighing in, Bigfoot! Glad to hear that you love your 2021 engine. :dance:

OP
OP
CatskillsAlex

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
I have not driven one without the etorque yet. I have a JLUR '20 with the 2.0T and etorque and like it. If you use the ESS it's more noticeable and not as smooth without the etorque. I don't know how much difference you can really feel driving around with the etorque. From what I've read it only kicks in to aid vehicle movement below 1800rpm, or something like that. The 2.0 is a really good engine. Add a tuner and a tune to it and it gets even better!

I don't know why so many people complain about how complex the etorque system is. It's a generator bolted to the front of the engine, which replaces the alternator. It has an extra 48 volt battery pack instead of the secondary battery that non-etorque engines have. And it has its own small cooling system with and electric coolant pump. The battery pack is warrantied for 8 years, unlike the secondary battery in the non-etorque everyone seems to complain about. I know that battery isn't $1500 but I had to throw that in LOL! And the complexity of the system that controls the etorque generator/motor is nothing compared to the complexity of the engine and auto trans controllers, which nobody is worried about.

I wouldn't worry too much about etorque vs non-etorque. I wouldn't ditch your '18 because it has etorque and I'd definitely get the 2.0T again either way. Is your jeep modded? Does a '21 or '22 add any new features yours is missing and want? Are there options you didn't get on your '18 that you wish you had? (Proximity seems to be a big "I wish I did that") Is the lease buy out a good deal (considering current sky high values)? Could be worth it to buy it and trade it in depending on your contract LOL.
Thank you, Old CJ Guy! All very good points.

Like you I’m not too worried about the eTorque’s reliability - all I know is that it works and I enjoy it overall! The fact that FCA is offering it with the 3.6 seems to indicate they’re not worried about it either. I’m curious why they decided to remove it from the 2.0L (maybe to promote 2.0L adoption, or because the Turbo doesn’t really need the assist).

Totally agree that there are other, arguably more important considerations - but the Turbo is so much fun… :rock: I don’t feel like the 2021 offers a significant upgrade (I already have safety, proximity, LED, steel bumpers, cold, etc; no mods as I was leasing). I would enjoy the full-time 4WD option on wintry roads but that alone is not enough reason to trade in.

As you mentioned I’d get a few thousands above residual if I were to trade in via my dealership right now, and even a tad more if I sold online via Vroom or Carvana. So that’s giving me pause and making me at least entertain a 2021. Those premiums likely won’t remain much longer. That being said, buying my 2018 JLR would also be a sound move financially, and I’m very happy with it, so I’m leaning towards sticking with it and getting off the leasing merry-go-round… tempting as shiny new toys might be!

Anyway - thanks again and have a great day! :jk:

Sponsored

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350

Well MSRP is actually $1585.00 but you can now get it on sale for just over a grand!

Jeep Wrangler Battery kit. Power pack unit. [48v belt starter generator] - 68381513AA | Myrtle Beach SC (moparpartsinc.com)

:like:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Having owned both iterations, keep your eTorque if you utilize the start/stop. It’s Sooo much faster and smoother.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I meant the secondary/auxiliary battery in non-etorque jeeps. A good one of those is probably around $100 :)

But, you're right. In 2028 when my battery pack is out of warranty, if I still have the jeep and have to replace it, it will probably be around $1000.

OP
OP
CatskillsAlex

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
Having owned both iterations, keep your eTorque if you utilize the start/stop. It’s Sooo much faster and smoother.
Awesome! I do use (and like) start/stop, so that’s a very helpful observation. Thanks for sharing your experience with both, that’s exactly the type of perspective I was looking for!
:like:

comagt

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I went with the less is more approach. I have the 2021 2.0T and love it. The ESS works great and better than any non-jeep I've driven to date. The Etorque adds a ton of additional wiring, eletrics and complexity for what actual gain? If it was a positive, why did they remove it entirely for 2021? Grab a 2021 and don't look back :)

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I went with the less is more approach. I have the 2021 2.0T and love it. The ESS works great and better than any non-jeep I've driven to date. The Etorque adds a ton of additional wiring, eletrics and complexity for what actual gain? If it was a positive, why did they remove it entirely for 2021? Grab a 2021 and don't look back :)
But it still exists…4xe. eTorque on steroids basically. As complex as newer vehicles are, additional cooling lines and wires are hardly a factor and have not been since the introduction of the JL.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I think maybe they removed eTorque from the 2.0T because that is the motor they use with the 4xe. Just a hunch though, and who knows, maybe it will return again...

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon

I thought the 2020’s didn’t have etorque? My 2020 JLUR 2.0 does not.

OP
OP
CatskillsAlex

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
You speak my language… I’m a big fan of “less is more” in many areas of my life!

That being said, those of us who’ve enjoyed eTorque for 3 years without any issues don’t have the same trepidation about it. And for what it’s worth, they removed it from the Turbo… but added it to the 3.6, which only thickens the plot!

But I hear you, and I’m glad to hear you love your 2021 2.0T. Everyone seems to be really satisfied with it, which is definitely reassuring. Thank you!

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I've had my 2018 2.0T eTorque for two years and I love it. I really like the fact the ESS is almost seamless. In the past I was never a big seatbelt wearer (I know, I know...) but the ESS gives me incentive to wear it. Whatever engineer came up with that idea should be promoted. Also, even with a 2" lift, 35s, and a lot of heavy steel mods, I still get 18-19mpg in the city.

I would say the only (minor) downside is the turbo lag. Haven't driven a 2021 Turbo, but I would assume it also has that issue.
Sponsored

Last edited: