Sponsored

2.0 Turbo vs 392 in Quarter Mile

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Anyone saw this showdown yet?

I'd be happy to do it but no 392s around here...

(Disclaimer: I have had two 2.0s and I want to order a 392 come June when the order banks open up)
Sponsored

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This I know, but I'm so impressed with my little 4 banger I want to see it anyway to help me justify paying the price of a nice starter home in this area for a vehicle.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
This I know, but I'm so impressed with my little 4 banger I want to see it anyway to help me justify paying the price of a nice starter home in this area for a vehicle.
Never really thought of the words "Wrangler" and "Quarter Mile" in the same sentence... up until I bought my 392 I guess. Just reading the car rag reviews (all JLU figures) the 2.0t is 0-60 in ~7sec, 6.4l is ~4.5sec standard, quicker for the XR packaged 6.4l. Quarter mile will be ugly to compare, even with the top speed governor limiting the 6.4 trap speed for ~150ft or so.

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Anyone saw this showdown yet?

I'd be happy to do it but no 392s around here...

(Disclaimer: I have had two 2.0s and I want to order a 392 come June when the order banks open up)
13.8 for the 392 vs 15.0 for the 2.0. Drivers not professional but probably similar to real world scenario anyhow.

Sources

Sponsored

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13.8 for the 392 vs 15.0 for the 2.0. Drivers not professional but probably similar to real world scenario anyhow.

Sources

Thanks. That 2.0 Wrangler was impressive. Noticed it was a Hydro which probably makes it faster. 😉

Guess I expected more from the 392.

Thanks again. 🙂

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Drivers not professional
That's an understatement! Actually enjoy watching their drag race videos, but someone almost always manages to foul up off the line. First time seeing the 2.0T race where he launched in neutral, lol.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Thanks. That 2.0 Wrangler was impressive. Noticed it was a Hydro which probably makes it faster. 😉

Thanks again. 🙂
Not sure what's up on that one... low 13s is pretty much daily expectation on these, 12s are pretty much automatic if you can remove the speed limiter.

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

Thanks again. 🙂
No worries buddy. I'm like you constantly impressed with the power in the little 2.0, great engine.

That's an understatement! Actually enjoy watching their drag race videos, but someone almost always manages to foul up off the line. First time seeing the 2.0T race where he launched in neutral, lol.
Haha yes I mean its more entertainment than factual I guess, but still gives a somewhat good interpretation on how a vehicle performs compared to others.

Not sure what's up on that one... low 13s is pretty much daily expectation on these, 12s are pretty much automatic if you can remove the speed limiter.
I mean quarter mile time doesn't really matter anyways, its a wrangler, even if it was slower than the 2.0 that big v8 is to spin big tires in heavy mud or sand, not for straight line performance.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
No worries buddy. I'm like you constantly impressed with the power in the little 2.0, great engine.

Haha yes I mean its more entertainment than factual I guess, but still gives a somewhat good interpretation on how a vehicle performs compared to others.

I mean quarter mile time doesn't really matter anyways, its a wrangler, even if it was slower than the 2.0 that big v8 is to spin big tires in heavy mud or sand, not for straight line performance.
Agreed on 1/4mi... just fun to punish mustangs and other easy prey between the lights in a big blue brick lol.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Yep- have seen videos of early 392 getting high 12’s by removing spare even hitting the limiter. Higher XR limiter and lower gears should improve times but I don’t recall seeing any videos. 😊

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Yep- have seen videos of early 392 getting high 12’s by removing spare even hitting the limiter. Higher XR limiter and lower gears should improve times but I don’t recall seeing any videos. 😊
Yep that was the ShockerRacing video and he was still rolling the last ~100ft or so on the limiter, 12.8x on 93. Curious on the XRs since they have another few MPH and the 4.56s should help too. Need some XR folks to go to the track.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Agreed on 1/4mi... just fun to punish mustangs and other easy prey between the lights in a big blue brick lol.
Or classic muscle cars with a little red CJ5 ( built L79, later blown 350) they were very embarrassed!:like:

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Or classic muscle cars with a little red CJ5 ( built L79, later blown 350) they were very embarrassed!:like:
Most people don't realize that a stock old muscle car from the 60's and 70's is slow in comparison to what you can get today. Even a Honda Odyssey can do a 1/4 mile in 15 sec.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, if I had one it would be more about the stoplight launch. 🤣

I wonder if the 2.0 has a limiter as well?

I guess I was surprised the 392 did.
Sponsored