Sponsored

Mishimoto's 2.0L Turbo JL Wrangler - First Ever Dyno Runs vs 3.6L Pentastar

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Rods are 156.03mm according to some information shared; if they are the same at the Italian Alfa engines. But could be different as also a mention of a 154mm and 157mm rod.
It looks like the 156.03mm was from the Alfa Romeo 2.0 Twin Spark TS motor built 1986-2009. I doubt the GME 2.0 shares this odd rod length. Even with a 154mm or 157mm rod, the 2.0 should have no problem with higher RPMs (rod/stroke ratio of 1.71-1.74)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey all,

I can't comment a lot on what the Alfas are doing or the RPM limits of the FCA 2.0T, but I can say that tuning is not as hit or miss as it's referred to here. If you look at the import market, vehicles (especially those with 2.0L turbocharged engines) are being run hundreds of thousands of miles on off-the-shelf tunes without any issues. Many of the off-the-shelf tunes available simply raise the fueling and boost parameters to that of higher-spec models using the same engine. For example, my daily driver is a 2013 VW GTI with a 2.0T. It makes about 200hp at the crank, but the only difference between it and an Audi 2.0T making 80 hp and 80 lb-ft more torque is a tune from the factory.

My '02 Subaru WRX made over 100hp/tq more than factory with just an intake, exhaust, and tune for the 30,000 miles I owned it and showed no signs of stopping. And there are thousands more running similar modifications with no issues.

These small engines are overbuilt for their power levels from the factory, and with responsible tuning, modifications and maintenance can make a lot of power. Of course, if you throw a tune on that lets the engine run extremely lean and don't compensate with fuel, or remove the rev limiter without opening up flow, you're going to cause big problems. But a properly tuned vehicle isn't going to grenade just because it's making more power than it left the factory with.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Fords that were splitting blocks were also big-turbo vehicles and there's no evidence that the blocks weren't compromised from the factory. Our 2.7L F-150 is aggressively tuned, daily driven 100 miles a day by our head of Innovation, and drag raced often, it has no issues after 3+ years of being tuned.

Thanks,
-Steve

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
A limit for rpm may be the factory turbo. It is pretty small so that it spins up fast, and it will be output-volume limited. It’s a compromise between drivability and power and there are likely other restrictions in the intake. Additional boost pressure in the manifold has no value without volume.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.