Sponsored

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Most air compressors are designed to be air cooled, the air they pull in to compress is responsible for cooling the unit. With average engine compartment temps being 200 - 250 degrees Fahrenheit, this cuts life expectancy down by about 2/3 life cycle.

Wax
The intake air does absolutely nothing to cool your compressor. The cooling fins on the head and motor fan cool your compressor. People using 30% duty cycle compressors running 100% cycle is what kills them, not ambient air.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Not trying to be argumentative here but I just don't think engine heat makes that much of a difference.
Mounting under-hood has the same effect as being at altitude... slower fill times due to less air density.

ScenarioTemperature
(degrees Farenheit)
Atmospheric pressure
(inHG)
Air density
(pounds/cubic foot)
Standard test at sea-level (J607)6029.90.076
Under-hood mount @ sea-level25029.90.056
Remote mount @ 7,500' altitude6022.70.058

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/ideal-gas-density
http://www.uigi.com/Atmos_pressure.html

Last edited:

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
To those arguing that heat doesnā€™t matter to compressors, I have some questions. How big are your tires? What PSI do you air down to and then back up to what pressure? Do you ever assist others, airing them up after youā€™ve aired up yourself?

I ask because I used to overheat my dual ARB almost every time I used it when it was mounted under the hood of my 3.6! I have 37ā€s and air down to between 2-8 psi and my street pressure is 25-28. If I was down to 3 or below, it would overheat and shut off before I could finish my last tire. If I was only down to 6-8, I could get mine finished, but the second I tried to help a friend, it would shut down. Super frustrating! And then I felt like a dirtbag when Iā€™d immediately store my hose once my tires were done so that I didnā€™t hurt my compressor. All of this was with my hood insulation removed and my Rubicon vents cut out, AND once I realized heat was the issue, I started raising the hood every time I aired up.

Once I moved the compressor inside under the passenger seat, it hasnā€™t overheated once. So argue all you want about thermal dynamics and whatever other internet BS you can think of, in the real world, compressors donā€™t like being under the hood of JLsā€¦

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR; 2016 Toyota Tundra
To those arguing that heat doesnā€™t matter to compressors, I have some questions. How big are your tires? What PSI do you air down to and then back up to what pressure? Do you ever assist others, airing them up after youā€™ve aired up yourself?

I ask because I used to overheat my dual ARB almost every time I used it when it was mounted under the hood of my 3.6! I have 37ā€s and air down to between 2-8 psi and my street pressure is 25-28. If I was down to 3 or below, it would overheat and shut off before I could finish my last tire. If I was only down to 6-8, I could get mine finished, but the second I tried to help a friend, it would shut down. Super frustrating! And then I felt like a dirtbag when Iā€™d immediately store my hose once my tires were done so that I didnā€™t hurt my compressor. All of this was with my hood insulation removed and my Rubicon vents cut out, AND once I realized heat was the issue, I started raising the hood every time I aired up.

Once I moved the compressor inside under the passenger seat, it hasnā€™t overheated once. So argue all you want about thermal dynamics and whatever other internet BS you can think of, in the real world, compressors donā€™t like being under the hood of JLsā€¦
The ARB dual air compressor is 50% duty cycle. Those are not designed to air up 25 psi per tire plus your buddy's tires. That is what is causing the overheating.

The installation page shows the hood open when airing up. Engine heat and lack of ventilation are two different things. If you have no ventilation the unit can't cool itself as these are air cooled. These units are installed in engine bay in thousands of vehicles with no issue. https://arbusa.com/arb-twin-compressor-installation/

Glad your under-seat warmer, sorry I mean air compressor, works for you. I just went through several water crossings from snow-melt and the carpet was all wet under the seat. Not some place I want wiring.

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Apparently you need to read more on their site instead of just looking at pictures-

Jeep Wrangler JL Taillight air compressor install 810DCBA8-CF69-482E-B7D9-B6D9A1A6F850

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
By not answering ANY of my questions, you are clearly just here to argue with others. Iā€™m sure your mom is proud.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
The ARB dual air compressor is 50% duty cycle. Those are not designed to air up 25 psi per tire plus your buddy's tires. That is what is causing the overheating.

The installation page shows the hood open when airing up. Engine heat and lack of ventilation are two different things. If you have no ventilation the unit can't cool itself as these are air cooled. These units are installed in engine bay in thousands of vehicles with no issue. https://arbusa.com/arb-twin-compressor-installation/

Glad your under-seat warmer, sorry I mean air compressor, works for you. I just went through several water crossings from snow-melt and the carpet was all wet under the seat. Not some place I want wiring.
So you think that your engine bay is water tight? I'm not sure why you are trying to be so argumentative. This isn't a one size fits all type of thing. Your engine bay mount works good for you, congratulations. @1996cc had an issue with his under hood mount and moved it under seat. And no longer has issues.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm not it is the absolute best case scenario for everyone, but ironically ARB's mount is an under-seat design and not under-hood. Also they have you trim the HVAC vent... which makes it the only forced air-cooled option. Also page 8 of the instructions show that there's already wiring in this area anyway... https://www.quadratec.com/sites/def...eep-Wrangler-JL-Installation-Instructions.pdf

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently you need to read more on their site instead of just looking at pictures-

Jeep Wrangler JL Taillight air compressor install 810DCBA8-CF69-482E-B7D9-B6D9A1A6F850
https://www.arb.com.au/assets/air-lockers/3-05.pdf

These are two air cooled 50% air cooled compressors. If ARB wants to call the Twin 100% in marketing materials and you want to believe that then go ahead.

By not answering ANY of my questions, you are clearly just here to argue with others. Iā€™m sure your mom is proud.
My mom has Alzheimer's and we are driving down to spend time with her Saturday. Thanks for that....

I have opinion with rational arguments. If you have a problem with that or something else and need to vent then go somewhere else.

Sponsored

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you think that your engine bay is water tight? I'm not sure why you are trying to be so argumentative. This isn't a one size fits all type of thing. Your engine bay mount works good for you, congratulations. @1996cc had an issue with his under hood mount and moved it under seat. And no longer has issues.
He literally called me out "to the guys that think engine temps etc. etc.".

It has nothing to do with what works for me. I said I had no problems with how someone want to mount their compressor.

These air compressors are built at a price point and my experience is you are pushing the design limits trying to air up 25 psi per tire, especially not ventilating the unit. They are not oil cooled heavy duty units, just relatively cheap air compressors.

Mount them where you want. I really don't care. But if you are doing it because of engine heat that's wasted effort IMHO.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
https://www.arb.com.au/assets/air-lockers/3-05.pdf

These are two air cooled 50% air cooled compressors. If ARB wants to call the Twin 100% in marketing materials and you want to believe that then go ahead.

My mom has Alzheimer's and we are driving down to spend time with her Saturday. Thanks for that....

I have opinion with rational arguments. If you have a problem with that or something else and need to vent then go somewhere else.
By halving the load of each of them it will increase their duty cycle. ARB is known as a company who has been very thorough in their testing. So yeah, I will believe them.

As far as your opinion with rational arguments goes, you are being obtuse. Facts have been presented to you, and rather than consider the merit of a counter view point, you buckle down and insist on your view being the correct one. And what a strange hill to make a stand on. It's well known that heat is a killer for electric motors and compressors both. And it's a fact that under hood temps are higher than pretty much anywhere else on our Jeeps. So it makes sense to move it away from heat. Especially when it is a finned, air cooled item.

UncleJimmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By halving the load of each of them it will increase their duty cycle. ARB is known as a company who has been very thorough in their testing. So yeah, I will believe them.

As far as your opinion with rational arguments goes, you are being obtuse. Facts have been presented to you, and rather than consider the merit of a counter view point, you buckle down and insist on your view being the correct one. And what a strange hill to make a stand on. It's well known that heat is a killer for electric motors and compressors both. And it's a fact that under hood temps are higher than pretty much anywhere else on our Jeeps. So it makes sense to move it away from heat. Especially when it is a finned, air cooled item.
Facts, or I should say arguments, have nuances and you are missing them.

This is no longer a discussion about air compressors is it? Calling out my mom. Are we in HS? I mean really. And you want to call me obtuse? Argumentative? For what? Explaining the limits of cheap air compressors or why people have mounted them in the engine bay with turbos for decades? I mean come on. Just let it go.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Jeep Wrangler JL Taillight air compressor install 49D61CF2-9354-471C-B639-20F5C111D324

PatriotX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe
Between gas that wonā€˜t burn, and some strange hills to die onā€¦this thread showed me the value ofā€¦.the ā€™ignoreā€™ button.
Sponsored