Sponsored

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta
How did you get sufficient power to the compressor? Does the 12v to twilight have a low amp fuse?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Grayhound

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
How did you get sufficient power to the compressor? Does the 12v to twilight have a low amp fuse?
I ran a 10ga marine wire from under the hood through the firewall and back under the interior panels. I have it set up on a relay to the battery with a fuse and to my aux 4 switch inside. I ran the ground to the nearest grounding point you can see on one of the pics.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Au contraire mon ami.
He has a metal air chuck located next to the gas filler door, which by definition is OPEN each time you fill up.
And if you don't tighten it well, you can have vapors.
During fill up you could have vapors collect inside the tail light housing which is an inch away.
It's not just the electric motor which can make a spark.
You can make a spark as you plug/unplug the air hose.
It would take several things to go wrong at the same time.
Zero wind.
Filling the car, then immediately airing the tires. Which might happen at the end of a day of wheeling when you use your little red 2 gallon gas tank to top off the gas and then air up the tires.
Be careful. Write down everything that could go wrong. Ask yourself if there is a different way to get the job accomplished. analyze the risks, then make a data based decision.

Jim Coffey
Chemical Engineer
Prof. Engineer License #69908, state of Texas.
Note I am NOT giving you engineering advice, just encouraging everyone to think about things that might happen.
You aren’t wrong, but if the gas cap is defective or not completely closed - you have a leaky fuel fill system, which would make using the compressor potentially unsafe. And if the air chuck is brass, there’s no chance of sparking anyway (though brass chucks aren’t typically 100% brass so take that with a grain of salt).

I will say that the chuck location is probably not ideal from a safety standpoint no matter what material it’s made of.

LiLi6689

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
Nice work! Is it possible to mount the air compressor in the engine compartment for 2006 Toyota Sequoia. Is this bad?

Sponsored

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Great idea, I wonder if this could be mimicked inside the tailgate like the 2023 20th Anniversary ones?

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Assuming that the compressor will make quite a bit of heat in that small of an area?

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Nice work! Is it possible to mount the air compressor in the engine compartment for 2006 Toyota Sequoia. Is this bad?
Your best bet is to find a forum dedicated to your vehicle. Not likely very many on the Jeep forum have the same vehicle, let alone have tried to install on-board air into one. Good luck in your search.

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
out of curiosity how long did it take you? The idea is very simple, I thought it was going to be a quick 1 hour job that turned into a whole week. Mainly because I had some issues with the wiring and had to swap everything out.

I ran my wires externally from under the jeep, to the aux connections under the hood. I didn't see a reason to route them in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grayhound

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
out of curiosity how long did it take you? The idea is very simple, I thought it was going to be a quick 1 hour job that turned into a whole week. Mainly because I had some issues with the wiring and had to swap everything out.

I ran my wires externally from under the jeep, to the aux connections under the hood. I didn't see a reason to route them in.
Figuring out how to Mount it took me the longest. I ended up using a metal shelf bracket on the bottom and then a flat nut from my cj7 soft top hardware drilled through the top of the plate holding it tight in place.
i ran through the interior thinking it would preserve the wire from the elements as best I could. All in all it took me a day but I also moved all my switches to a little bus bar and wires on my winch at the same time. It was an electrical day for me!

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Great idea, I wonder if this could be mimicked inside the tailgate like the 2023 20th Anniversary ones?
I've got an 88P and a 400P. I pulled the panel and looked. It doesn't appear that either of them will fit.

Jeffy56

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Clever install! I would be concerned though in a gasoline fueled unit due to vapors near fuel tube/cap area from fueling. Also motor could heat or self-destruct fire melting fuel rubber or plastic (Chinese). On a good note, an oil-less compressor shouldn't care what position it's in. I use a Viair from the rear power port.
Sponsored