Steering Damper recall 2018

CyBourg

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 07 Honda S2000, 2018 JLU Sport O)|||||(O
I tired myself out trying to determine if I had the death wobble. I live in Phoenix and never had an issue until I took the family up to northern AZ right after Christmas 2019 where the temperature rapidly fell. Any time I hit a rough patch of road or surface transition with the speed above 60 the front end would wobble out of control until I reduceD my speed to about 45 mph. It was a white knuckle drive for about 5 hours. Once I returned to my the warmer climate of Phoenix I never had an issue until it was raining and cold out one night. I left work and headed out to Ikea. This was my second maddening and terrifying episode of what I feared was the death wobble. Any small blemish in the road caused my brand new JL to uncontrollably wobble, bounce, shimmy and shake.

Hours of research, reaching out to multiple Jeep shops and nobody could give me any sort of definitive answer.

On the day my steering dampener recall arrived it all became clear. It said something to the effect of, when the temp drop below ā€xā€ you may experience this. Iā€™d never correlated the cold weather with the issue but looking back thatā€™s exactly when it happened. I quickly had it replaced and I have not had one single issue through this winter, driving in the cold weather that previously gave me nightmares.

Based on my experience, Iā€™d say get it done.
Sponsored

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I have just over 20k miles on 2018 JLU Sahara. 0 problems. Seems to run better everyday and loving every minute of it! Taking it in for 20k mile service soon and want to see what people recommend on having the steering damper replaced? Iā€™m thinking NO since no probs but since I will already be there??

Topic has been beating to death when I searched for answer so figured this was easier.

Have been lurking since I got the Jeep in Feb2018 and love to read everything and all the banter. I have only posted 4 times in my life and only had one response so someone please respond.
Thanks
Not only did I respond, but I gave you your very first ā€œlikeā€. Now you are on your way!

I havenā€™t done the recall yet myself. I probably should just because they monitor everything and I keep getting the emails saying that it needs attention.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine done long before the recall when I had my lift and wheels done by @TTEChris of Tank Customs, if you already have replaced yours before the recall FCA will reimburse you for it

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Does not effect active steering or cause anything related to death wobble. Get it done.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Everybody complains because JEEP WON'T DO "SOMETHING"-

Now JEEP offers a FREE replacement--don't you think there's a REASON ??

GETERDONE !

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
But do not leave the dealer without verifying they put it on right side up. Lol

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
If you got the recall notice just get it done for the paperwork. My .02
Nah

If you havent done the recall, buy yourself a high end adjustable stabilizer(FOX ATS).

Foward receipt to Jeep and they'll reimburse you every penny.

....free upgrade that's 10x better.

No brainer

OP
OP
Notsew

Notsew

First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I called to schedule the 20k service this morning and they recommended doing the recall since it is showing incomplete for any possible warranty issues. So guess I will get I done like many of you recommended too. My ā€œrecallā€ is listed as a campaign which is not actually a safety issue according to the description. Is that what others got too? Someone mentioned the letter stating when weather drops below a certain temperature but neither my letter they sent or the recall notice on my app state this.
Thanks for all the replies. This is kind of fun

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Mine was a little older than yours and got the recall. It drove worse after. But it was a recall, so it was happening either way. So if you donā€™t have an issue- Iā€™d say move on.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I called to schedule the 20k service this morning and they recommended doing the recall since it is showing incomplete for any possible warranty issues. So guess I will get I done like many of you recommended too. My ā€œrecallā€ is listed as a campaign which is not actually a safety issue according to the description. Is that what others got too? Someone mentioned the letter stating when weather drops below a certain temperature but neither my letter they sent or the recall notice on my app state this.
I had no issues and got it done when I took it in for service. No problems before or since. Just make sure you read the appropriate threads so you can double check that it is put on in the right orientation. Mine was put on correctly.

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Nah

If you havent done the recall, buy yourself a high end adjustable stabilizer(FOX ATS).

Foward receipt to Jeep and they'll reimburse you every penny.

....free upgrade that's 10x better.

No brainer
Thatā€™s a good idea. My point was to get the paperwork logged

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Thatā€™s a good idea. My point was to get the paperwork logged
If it helps...after you buy and get reimbursed, just call Jeep and have them clear the recall. Save all receipts.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea I wouldn't worry. I got mine done and didn't have problems before or after the replacement.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Glad to hear you got an appointment scheduled, Notsew. Please keep us updated on how things go and if you require any additional support, please send us a private message.

Kate
JeepCares

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I had no death wobble, had V41 work done, and the next day got my first minor taste of death wobble.

I suspect that the V41 stabilizer is stiffer, and not a good match for the early track bar (with it's softer bushings).
Sponsored