Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Curious what everyone’s opinion is on the start/stop function? This will be the first time I will own one and I’ve been wondering if they are bad on the starter and things like that. I really dislike that they have taking some options away from the Jeeps. You can no longer get a 6 cylinder in an automatic and can no longer order the Gorilla glass. I’m just curious what off roading will be like with a 4 cylinder and the start/stop function.
I don't know anyone that "likes" Start/Stop technologies (SST).

I do know people who tolerate it more than others, and those that do tend to enjoy what little gas savings and positive green impact they achieve using it.

SST technologies can and should IMHO be turned off when off roading. If your buying an automatic I'd think that some of your off roading would involve you switching to manual gears, which itself disables SST, in addition to the non-latching factory button and aftermarket tech covered already here.

Supposedly vehicles that have SST are equipped with more heavy duty starters, whatever that means.

IMHO Stellantis implemented SST sub optimally. I agree with their use of a second battery in most JL models with SST to handle appliances when SST is engaged, as owners can draw lots of power with aftermarket appliances that might rob the main battery of cranking power.

But a better design I think would have involved two equally sized batteries (read the SST battery getting larger more than the main battery getting smaller) with each of the batteries alternating the role of main and SST battery as controlled by on board computers.
Sponsored

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
My Sahara has a 6-speed manual transmission, so when I stop and am ready to start back up by the time I have pushed in the clutch or moved the shifter, the Jeep has already restarted. So I have no problem with the ESS. It does make a difference, for the better, in my gas mileage...

Last edited:

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Garbage.

90% of the time, I pull up to a light and the ESS shuts the car off just as the light turns green, causing me to have to wait for the damn car to start back up before I can go again. Even worse is when it shuts itself off at the stop signs.

Sponsored

skovac2

First Name
Skylar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S
Occupation
Army
My auto start stop completely stopped working. And everything still works fine! And I don't intend on having it fixed haha

Babeinsap

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude; 2001 TJ
We have the eTorque motor and the stop/start is easily the best implementation I've ever experienced. Since it's the electric motor turning the engine over via the ribbed belt (rather than the starter) it's smooth, almost silent and really no big deal at all. Most people that drive our Jeep don't even notice that it's doing its thing.

Based on the vitriol expressed on this forum, ESS appears to be a bit of a different duck however...
I agree With the e-torque. Restarts in 400 milliseconds. No wear on the 12v starter. Jeep is running before I can even hit the gas pedal

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I love the ESS, as long as the batteries are OK. I hope they got a beefier starter and it has been tested to withstand the duty cycles. I know it's shut down but in a primed state to make it easier, not a cold crank.

My JT I can have my blowers and even AC on, but if it gets too warm it will kick back on at a light. My JLR I can't even have the blowers on (no AC) and the engine stays running saying the cabin is cooling.

If you use it (no real reason not to) you'll notice about 1-2mpg difference, it's usually pretty good. As long as you aren't a complete moron you can modulate your brake and you can control when it comes on and when it doesn't. I've only had a handful of times in my JT where it came on when I wasn't trying to. Just don't be an idiot and you'll be fine :)

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I totally hated it in the first few months, as I’m from the school of thoughts that a vehicle that suddenly shuts down isn’t a good thing cause you’re stuck. The first week, I actually had adrenaline rushes when it happened🤪

Then got used to it and found myself looking to trigger it by pushing the brake peddle further down.

Now I’m totally used to it and I even installed a charger to maintain the battery.

Last edited:

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Curious what everyone’s opinion is on the start/stop function?.

I’m just curious what off roading will be like with a 4 cylinder and the start/stop function.
Get in.
Push start
Push radio button
Push stop/start
Push fan on
Drive

I drive off road and stop start is not an issue.

My wife's Mini has stop start.
Get in.
Push start
Push radio button
Push stop/start
Push fan on
Drive

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
if you dont like it, you can turn it off and if you have a Tazer, it will remember your setting and continue to keep it off every time you restart the vehicle until you change it back. I dont mind it at all on my 2.0. My other car has it as well and im not able to turn it off in that car so I have gotten use to it.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Posts above that equate turning off ESS with also alleviating the owner of the problems associated with its design can be misleading.

Restated, there's two reasons to hate ESS. One is a possible dislike of engine shut off at traffic lights, etc. The other is the problems the system can create in many JL owners given two different size batteries, connected in parallel most of the time.

While the latter can also be addressed with numerous approaches, from trickle charging the dual battery JLs at rest, to permanently putting the batteries in parallel, to taking the ESS battery out of the electrical loop, that takes under the hood tinkering that no tech can be purchased to plug in and have such rewiring done for you.
Sponsored