Sponsored

Start/Stop opinion?

Rann61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Curious what everyone’s opinion is on the start/stop function? This will be the first time I will own one and I’ve been wondering if they are bad on the starter and things like that. I really dislike that they have taking some options away from the Jeeps. You can no longer get a 6 cylinder in an automatic and can no longer order the Gorilla glass. I’m just curious what off roading will be like with a 4 cylinder and the start/stop function.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can turn it off with a switch on the dash. IIRC, in 4low its disabled too.

There are aftermarket devices to disable it permanently or some other ways like pulling one of the hood shut sensors.

I have the v6, but, TBH, its never bothered me.

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
We have the eTorque motor and the stop/start is easily the best implementation I've ever experienced. Since it's the electric motor turning the engine over via the ribbed belt (rather than the starter) it's smooth, almost silent and really no big deal at all. Most people that drive our Jeep don't even notice that it's doing its thing.

Based on the vitriol expressed on this forum, ESS appears to be a bit of a different duck however...

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

People love to hate on the Start/Stop, but honestly, it doesn't bother me.

I'm more annoyed that they wasted a physical button on the dash to disable it - wish I could reprogram that button to do something more useful.

Sponsored

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I for one absolutely hate it. Diesel driver here. I just wish it would remember my preference to have it off. I firmly believe it causes undue wear on a few components…. Of course I am only speaking to my uses and you may have a completely different angle. All that being said, it only irritates me when I forget to turn it off. Lol

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
My 19 JLUR 3.6 with the dual battery ESS... I think ESS turned the engine off one time at a light when I forgot to manually turn it off before my Tazer got here. I hate it.

Wife's 21 JLUR 3.6 with eTorque... I forget that ESS is on. Pretty much seamless.

Really is a night and day difference between the two implementations.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I find it really annoying. Especially when I had to jump my battery Christmas Eve (forgot to hit the disable button) to get the Jeep home and it engaged at a stoplight and killed my engine, so I had to get out and jump it again at an intersection

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have no issues with ESS whatsoever. It's smooth, like the engine has been idling the whole time. It's disabled in 4WD LO and it's easily disabled manually in the rare situation that it's necessary when not in 4WD LO. It does save some gas and it's an excellent canary in the coal mine for battery issues (it's nearly always the first thing to go, before much more important stuff fails).

I think the vitriol stems entirely from control issues, resistance to change, lack of understanding and/or trust of synthetic oils and how starters are now designed to do many warm starts over their lifetime.

Don't get hung up on cylinders. The 4cyl 2.0t is peppier than the 6cyl 3.6 and it becomes increasingly stronger than the 6cyl with altitude. It's definitely not the 4cyl of old. Yes, it does have a turbo power curve which is different but it's very predictable and you can easily adapt to it. On and off road.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
People love to hate on the Start/Stop, but honestly, it doesn't bother me.

I'm more annoyed that they wasted a physical button on the dash to disable it - wish I could reprogram that button to do something more useful.
I don’t hate ESS, but I don’t care for it either.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I don’t hate ESS, but I don’t care for it either.
Yeah that's basically me. I wouldn't actively seek out a vehicle with it, or consider it a "feature", but I also wouldn't bother spending money to disable it.
Sponsored