Stop/start question

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
I've never noticed it doing that on my diesel.

And I agree: it's a great way to keep from churning through fuel for no good reason.
Ok so I’d like to get some opinions on this, here is my take (personal opinion, not facts check) but considering as we have learned, you need much more Cold Cranking Amps in your battery to turn over a diesel engine compared to a gasoline engine, due to the higher compression ratio in diesel engines. The turbo, run at such a high temp and constantly shutting it down has to be tough on the hot bearings and motor oil, I know farmers never shut down some of their equipment if they're walking away for a bit, I know truckers idling in the parking lot. I'm curious to know what those folks know. I'm just curious of other people take, I know manufacturers will tell you starters are built better to handle the constant on off etc and batteries have been upgraded etc but my take is how much fuel saving vs possible long term issues from start stop??
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ok so I’d like to get some opinions on this, here is my take (personal opinion, not facts check) but considering as we have learned, you need much more Cold Cranking Amps in your battery to turn over a diesel engine compared to a gasoline engine, due to the higher compression ratio in diesel engines. The turbo, run at such a high temp and constantly shutting it down has to be tough on the hot bearings and motor oil, I know farmers never shut down some of their equipment if they're walking away for a bit, I know truckers idling in the parking lot. I'm curious to know what those folks know. I'm just curious of other people take, I know manufacturers will tell you starters are built better to handle the constant on off etc and batteries have been upgraded etc but my take is how much fuel saving vs possible long term issues from start stop??
Wouldn't it disable itself in scenarios that would be harmful? I know that mine doesn't seem to kick in very often.

Zipzit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 4x4 Wannabee
It’s not totally clear when the start/ stop feature is engaged. I know its not engaged when the air conditioning is running. I think it may also not function on a hot day when the engine cooling fan is running.

I really notice the failure of stop/ start when I’m waiting in the LONG Costco gas line on a warm day. Windows down, A/C off. (My religion is Don’t-Spend-Money-On-Stupid-Shit). That’s exactly when I want that system but it’s not working.

Not sure what’s going on there.

Edit: Oops. I never saw this posting. I often use the Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning automatic setting (with A/C selected off). Perhaps that was my issue at the gas pump line.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
I agree with OP. Never really bothered me through 3 JL's. 1 3.6 and 2 2.0's.

Plus you get to save a quart of fuel over 7 years. lol

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It’s not totally clear when the start/ stop feature is engaged. I know its not engaged when the air conditioning is running. I think it may also not function on a hot day when the engine cooling fan is running.

I really notice the failure of stop/ start when I’m waiting in the LONG Costco gas line on a warm day. Windows down, A/C off. (My religion is Don’t-Spend-Money-On-Stupid-Shit). That’s exactly when I want that system but it’s not working.

Edit: Oops. I never saw this posting. I often use the Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning automatic setting (with A/C selected off). Perhaps that was my issue at the gas pump line.
Vehicle is at high altitude could explain why it rarely kicks in for me. I wonder what's considered "high".

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara

That list you link seems to miss the additional "putting an automatic transmission JL into a manual gear with the shifter..." much as it does cover doing so with the transfer case.. :)

Zipzit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 4x4 Wannabee

Did some more testing on this today. Here's the photo of my center cluster telling me why the Engine Stop/Start (ESS) is not engaged.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stop/start question _JeepESS1

And here is the view of the Climate Control System at the same moment. Note, vehicle in Drive, I was stopped at a traffic light.

Jeep Wrangler JL Stop/start question _JeepESS2

You can see that the A/C modes all appear off. The "auto" light on the center blower knob is off. I had the windows down, but I will say it seemed like cool air was coming out of the panel registers. I don't get it. Auto Off, A/C Off, yet it seems to work like it's on. Color me way confused.

Does anybody know how this system is supposed to work? I don't understand why just using the blower motor engages the air conditioning compressor. When its below 100 deg F, and I'm by myself, I generally roll down the windows and I want the A/C OFF. I want the ESS to kick in. And I'm just not getting that.

Last edited:

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I hated mine, I plugged my Tazor module in and never have to out up with it again.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Did some more testing on this today. Here's the photo of my center cluster telling me why the Engine Stop/Start (ESS) is not engaged.

And here is the view of the Climate Control System at the same moment. Note, vehicle in Drive, I was stopped at a traffic light.

You can see that the A/C modes all appear off. The "auto" light on the center blower knob is off. I had the windows down, but I will say it seemed like cool air was coming out of the panel registers. I don't get it. Auto Off, A/C Off, yet it seems to work like it's on. Color me way confused.

Does anybody know how this system is supposed to work? I don't understand why just using the blower motor engages the air conditioning compressor. When its below 100 deg F, and I'm by myself, I generally roll down the windows and I want the A/C OFF. I want the ESS to kick in. And I'm just not getting that.
I think it has to do with the vehicle having to hit certain parameters before the ESS will even consider working. It doesnt give a shit you want to open your windows, it just wants to hit the preset conditions to get all sub systems working. There are some threads that list all the crap that has to align in order for the ESS to function as designed.

I too am one of the users who doesn't mind this on my 2.0 non E torque. I barely notice it when it activates and don't mind running it at all. I know for a fact I'm not smarter than the team of engineers who designed the system, so I have zero interest in taking it out of the system. I only wish they had made it so both batteries were easy to get to for maintenance purposes.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Even in manual HVAC mode with AC off and blower on, that seems to be enough to prevent ESS from engaging on mine as well. At least if the internal temperature is nowhere near the set point on the HVAC screen.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
The only time ESS annoys me is when I stop at a red light, and then the light immediately turns green, so zero wait. All I can think of every time is, “wow, that was a real waste of a stop/start!” :LOL:

OP
OP
Yzfguy

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
Thanks, all. I didn't know that taking off your seatbelt shut off the feature. I have changed my habit to taking off my belt as the garage door opens instead of having to hit that button.

By the way, I was sitting at a light yesterday. It was about 90 degrees and I had climate control on auto. The air was blasting and the engine still shut off. Cold air continued blowing, but apparently it isn't supposed to shut off with the air on? Also another time I waited a long time at a light and it shut off, and a few seconds later started back up again while I was still stopped. I guess it knows when it needs to start back up because it's a drain on the battery.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
What about it did you hate? That it's not saving enough fuel?
It is purely a personal preference. The constant stop and start was incredibly annoying. This also causes MUCH greater starter wear. That said, I rarely sit in stop and go traffic so when it used to activate it is probably magnified to me.
Sponsored