Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
Hey,
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't mind this feature at all. I find no delay in my 3.6 e-torque auto, and as much as I had read about disabling start/stop while I was waiting for my Jeep to come in, I find that it doesn't bother me at all.
One thing that seems odd to me is this... I pull into the garage to park. I come to a stop and start/stop activates and shuts the engine off, then I shift to park and it starts back up only to be turned off immediately when I stop the engine. It feels wrong every time to shut off, turn on, shut off like that when parking to the point that I find myself leaving the feature on for my driving and hitting the disable button as I enter my driveway.
Am I weird, or should it just stay off when I go into park? Or both? ;)
Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The best way to get past that is take your seat belt off before you pull into your garage. It is silly that you stop, it shuts off, you put it in park, and it starts back up. So now I just take my seatbelt off before I pull into my garage.

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
Shift into park quicker once you are fully in the garage.

The auto-start/stop takes a second to shutoff the engine once the jeep is at a complete stop. Just shift into P before that, or use neutral if you are uncomfortable doing that.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm in the same boat. I don't mind it and I do get that unnecessary start sometimes when parking. I think the problem is that to go into Park you need to go through Reverse. How would it know if you're going to continue to Park or if you are going to stay in Reverse and hit the gas? Not being quick to restart would be more annoying if you're trying to reverse.

Shifting to P quickly might work, taking off the seatbelt would work but it's awkward.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Great suggestions in this thread. This pre-parking situation with ESS engaged has always been annoying for me too.

I either press the "start/stop OFF" button or unbuckle the seatbelt the moment before parking.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Brent,

I agree. There have been so many times that I have forgotten to push the ESS disable button when coming to a full stop while parking that it's no longer upsetting. Aggravating as hell but no longer upsetting. I blame myself much like a pilot should for forgetting some routine checklist item like lowering the landing gear on approach.

Thankfully the consequences aren't so severe, yet everytime it's still a damn 'dah' moment.

However, while your suggestion sounds like it has some merit, the corporate lawyers would never allow it. Any deviation in shifter control requires that power be restored to the driver in order to prevent any type of 'stuck in park' corner-case condition. The mind-set is to always try and provide some type of 'limp-along' strategy.

Unfortunately from the vehicle's perspective there isn't much difference between a normal 'stop' and an intended 'park'. Perhaps if there was a way to select Park without going through Neutral your idea could work. But Neutral provides so many other corner-case conditions. However, as long as your foot never lets up from a heavy brake pedal position, the logical decision could be determined that this is indeed a parking event and not a normal stop. Therefore keep the engine off.

However, I suspect that the true reason that your idea is not implemented is that many federally mandated OBDII emission monitors are simply paused during an ESS event. These monitors must run to completion during something called a 'good-trip' sequence. They just can't be prematurely terminated without affecting normal analysis. However, a 'good-trip' ends whenever the gear is taken out of Drive (with an auto transmission), or the hand-brake is activated with a manual. Regardless, all actively running emission monitors are gracefully terminated at ignition switch shutdown.

So in order to preserve normal engine emission analysis, the engine is always restarted with any gear change including neutral with the auto or manual with the clutch.

I've noticed that I'm now getting in the habit of manually downshifting when parking. This is much easier than toggling the cockpit ESS disable switch. It's more natural to just use the 'downshift' to prevent any ESS event. ESS is naturally disabled in Autostick 'M' (manual gear selection no matter the gear). So just shove your gear shift lever into M (independent of gear) when parking. When stopped the ESS will remain inactive, the engine will continue to run until the gear shift is placed explicitly into Park and the ignition switch is pressed to 'Off'.

I also find that doing a manual downshift coming into a stop that I want to keep the engine running is also more intuitive than either finding the 'light' brake pedal pressure setting or the pushbutton as well. Don't get me wrong, I like playing with both. But only at traffic lights, never when parking.

Over time, I find that when the engine restarts now when I park, it's not only more rare but also truly a surprise.

Manually downshifting these 8-speed transmissions is not just easy, it really does enhance my driving enjoyment. However, the ZF8 nearly always provides better upshifting performance on takeoff. I just wish the upshift '+' and downshift '-' directions on the column were reversed. It's less intuitive (for me) to pull back in order to upshift. Pulling back is more natural to slow down (downshift) rather the go faster (upshift).

Oh well. It's still fun...

I love driving this JL.
Jay

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I don't mind this feature at all. I find no delay in my 3.6 e-torque auto, and as much as I had read about disabling start/stop while I was waiting for my Jeep to come in, I find that it doesn't bother me at all.
If by "no delay" you mean to refer to pulling away from a stop, that's because the mild hybrid eTorque system (i.e., the belt-start generator + battery) is pinch-hitting during the engine re-start event. That's part of its mission brief.

As for the goofy functioning of the ESS system when park the vehicle: Nein, danke. I couldn't purchase this accessory fast enough.

OP
OP
Yzfguy

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
If by "no delay" you mean to refer to pulling away from a stop, that's because the mild hybrid eTorque system (i.e., the belt-start generator + battery) is pinch-hitting during the engine re-start event. That's its mission brief.

As for the goofy functioning of the ESS system when pulling into a garage to park: Nein, danke. I couldn't purchase this accessory fast enough.
But, isn't that part of the reason for the e-torque? Why eliminate it if there are benefits? I get that it may be more fore emissions, but if it functions properly and even saves a little fuel, I think I'd like to take advantage of that after spending the extra dough on this option.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
But, isn't that part of the reason for the e-torque? Why eliminate it if there are benefits? I get that it may be more fore emissions, but if it functions properly and even saves a little fuel, I think I'd like to take advantage of that after spending the extra dough on this option.
My 2.0T doesn't have the eTorque encumbrance, so my perception of ESS operation will be different than yours. If you're content with how your Wrangler runs, that's what matters. 👍

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Absolutely love mine. And with the eTorque, no little aux battery to die. I've gotten used to putting it in Park before it quits on parking. I love how smart it is and there is a whole list of conditions that must be met for it to shut off.

G.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Hey,
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't mind this feature at all. I find no delay in my 3.6 e-torque auto, and as much as I had read about disabling start/stop while I was waiting for my Jeep to come in, I find that it doesn't bother me at all.
One thing that seems odd to me is this... I pull into the garage to park. I come to a stop and start/stop activates and shuts the engine off, then I shift to park and it starts back up only to be turned off immediately when I stop the engine. It feels wrong every time to shut off, turn on, shut off like that when parking to the point that I find myself leaving the feature on for my driving and hitting the disable button as I enter my driveway.
Sure, it would kind of make more sense for the Engine to only recrank if you, once placing your shifter into park, rather than turn off the vehicle, took the shifter out of park (while the vehicle was still "on") into a gear that permits vehicle movement.

@jeepoch Jay above highlighted some of the legal reasons why, when turning off an ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicle, it needs to be from a state where the engine was running. Additionally, I seem to recall reading here (I can't find the post) some EPA methodology on how MPGs are calculated for vehicles with ESS systems that necessitates that the ESS system not be engaged when the vehicle is in park.

If I can find that 411 I'll link it later.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Hey,
I like the ESS too, especially at long traffic lights or drive thrus. As soon as you come to a stop in the garage and the ESS kicks in just hit the "start" button to turn off the engine. My engine will stay off after that and not restart when I open the door. But mine is a manual transmission so it may be different in an automatic. Normally after the engine stops on mine, if I open the door, the engine restarts. It is a safety thing so you don't get out of the vehicle and in the house, and the engine restarts and kills you with carbon monoxide poisoning...

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Don't press so hard on the brake pedal...I can stop and not activate the start stop system. Try it out.
Yes, this technique also works well for me at traffic lights and stop signs. However, when I'm parking I prefer disengaging ESS.
Sponsored