Sponsored

Start/Stop opinion?

Ironjaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Pretty much like the others have said. If you have etorque it is great you won't even notice the ESS. Without etorque ESS sucks. Thankfully you can disable it in Tazer.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I dont know about other Jeeps. But the basic 3.6 V6 with ESS and no e-torque. It sucks big time. That little battery and the main battery. It is just painful and they just compete with each other all the time, draining each other. It is a POS system. I don't hate the ESS itself as much as I hate the overall design. So much added complexity for just a stupid little feature that doesn't save you any gas.

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
ESS only engages when I am in neutral with the clutch out. So I am only using it when I believe I will be sitting long enough to take advantage of it.

Also doesn't engage virtually any time the interior fan is running (I don't use AC). So doesn't bother me at all.

Flybaby

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Curious what everyone’s opinion is on the start/stop function? This will be the first time I will own one and I’ve been wondering if they are bad on the starter and things like that. I really dislike that they have taking some options away from the Jeeps. You can no longer get a 6 cylinder in an automatic and can no longer order the Gorilla glass. I’m just curious what off roading will be like with a 4 cylinder and the start/stop function.
I have the 2020 Sahara with the e-torque system. As far as a stop start systems goes, it is one of the best out there. However, it is a pain in the rear end, and I turn it off now out of habit when I first start the jeep. As Reinen said in an earlier post, it works very quietly and does not use the regular starter like other models. Downside is that the 48V battery and the ESS System is only under warranty for 8 years or 80k miles. However, I think the new systems on the 2023 models will be the full hybrid which have larger and much more expensive battery systems. Don't think I would want one of them. I have found gas milage is better with the ESS off. It may cut down omissions, but it does not help milage in my opinion. With it off I get 24-25 mpg around town and with it on, I am getting about 23-24. Of course, it all depends on how hard I push it. I have attached a section of the warranty.

BDG Warranty.JPG

Sponsored

Kryten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
You can get a 6 cylinder if you go with the electric or hybrid but not the regular gasoline engine,
Uhm... since when? The V6 is still the default on the website unless you change it yourself.

TucsonDweller

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubi 2.0 eTorque
I have driven a few vehicles from different manufacturers with start/stop. I didn’t care for any of them. I always looked for the buttons to turn them off. That has changed with our recently acquired 2.0 with eTorque. I am impressed with how well in integrates and is fairly seamless. It’s not quite perfect, but the best I have found so far.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Every time this topic arises it brings out all the emotional pushback. If you buy a modern ICE vehicle you’ll get it. It has an off switch. It’s just no big deal.

Drive for a week with it on, and another week with it off. Check your fuel consumption. Then you’ll have some facts to make a decision whether you want to turn it off or on.

Sponsored

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
I'm indifferent on ESS; it's doesn't bother me, but I'm not in love with it.

What I don't like the god-awful aux battery life. The aux dies off subtly and can take your main down with it.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Worthless,
originally it was sold as a way to help mpg and emissions. With the extra battery I’m sure it helps the environment not. And it does not help the EPA figures. Gas mileage. How do we know this? The chip shortage lead manufacturers to delete options some of them were ESS. But the mpg on the window sticker stayed the same? When called out on it the manufacturers said oh it doesn’t help mpg it’s only for emissions. Lol Who knows if it does anything but satisfy some mandate.

JamC12H23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Diesel
I for one absolutely hate it. Diesel driver here. I just wish it would remember my preference to have it off. I firmly believe it causes undue wear on a few components…. Of course I am only speaking to my uses and you may have a completely different angle. All that being said, it only irritates me when I forget to turn it off. Lol
Diesel also, I wasted a year of my life pushing that dang button until I stumbled across this in the forum and then wondered why I didn’t spend $100 much, much sooner.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/...QixxsIoqxZIby8ZcqiXh6SrhEvvXCoyxoCo58QAvD_BwE

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon