Rear Bumper Integrated LED Reverse Lights

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Finished my install - running from Auxilary 3 and have a diode installed so I can also have them work in reverse also. After seeing how bright they are I am becoming hesitant to have them automatically come in in reverse as I am afraid they would have a blind other drivers...thoughts?
I too am looking at the options on installing... your note on being too bright is something I did not think of (general driving in lots, camp areas etc) I like the option to perhaps use only the Aux Switch or SPOD options for these and in turn still have the OEM back ups when in reverse and not in conjunction with the Oracle lights.

Being a noob to jeeps, how did you set your lights up, what diode to use/where to install in line, how to wire up etc. Would be really helpful. Thx!
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Yes. It’s a way better option than attaching at the taillight.
Concur. Oracle probably only provided a video for the taillight integration because they figure on the least common denominator for those without trailer wiring. They should do another video for others using the 7-pin.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
white/orange 12 volt back up lights, Black is ground.
That's what I used.
Exactly. That is what my local shop used on my JL for the LEDs in my aftermarket bumper. I’ll be using those wires for these oracle lights on the wife’s JL.

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Using the wires in the 7 pin trailer wiring and tapping into them on the passenger side gives you the most slack in that bundle of wires to work with. And, using Posi-Taps (see below) makes for a strong, hidden and minimally invasive (to your factory wires) installation. Use zip ties to anchor the Oracle wires to the 7 pin wires and just cut an inch or two slit in the cotton friction tape that the factory uses to wrap wire bundles through your Jeep (available at Home Depot) Then re-tape where you tapped in and your installation looks like it came from the factory that way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-3-4-...uNTVG8Jzk_gugG7OPFhoCTGoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I installed these on both my JLU Sahara (plastic rear bumper) and by wife's JL Rubicon (metal bumper) over the weekend. There was no way my big, clumsy hands were ever going to access those fastening screws behind the reflectors, so I removed the bumpers; good decision in retrospect. It was very easy to install the lights with the bumpers out.

I also wired to the towing hitch instead of the tail lights on both Jeeps. It was easy - I ran each passenger side wire over to the driver's side, cut and stripped the driver's side wire to match length, soldered them together at the spade connector. Shrink tubing used wherever appropriate. After reinstalling the bumpers, I connected to the wiring taps (Orange/White or power, Black for ground). Agree with the previous comment that the spade connectors are weak and difficult to connect to the wiring taps - needle nose pliers helped a lot..

Everything worked as expected. The lights are super bright and are a huge improvement over stock. Very nice product, @ORACLElights!
Is there a wire in the hitch wiring for backup lights?

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I too am looking at the options on installing... your note on being too bright is something I did not think of (general driving in lots, camp areas etc) I like the option to perhaps use only the Aux Switch or SPOD options for these and in turn still have the OEM back ups when in reverse and not in conjunction with the Oracle lights.

Being a noob to jeeps, how did you set your lights up, what diode to use/where to install in line, how to wire up etc. Would be really helpful. Thx!
Many good recommendations in this thread. I ran the power source from Auxilary 3 under the hood through the frame rail to the back. The diode is weatherproof so I attached it to the bottom of the rear frame crossmember. The diode is a stick on but I additionally secured with zip ties. Just to clarify, you won’t need the diode unless you want to make the lights switchable and also use them as automatically as backup lights when reversing. For me, the diode is likely a waste since I’ve decided not to wire them into the backup lights as originally intended. For the ground I used a self tapping screw into the rear frame rail. For automotive wiring make sure you use shrink tubing/electrical tape/liquid tape on all your connections and sheath or tape wrap all wiring including that running through the frame or through the bumper (from the lights). Failure to protect your wiring can lead to many problems down the road.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HRO564/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glc_fabc_u2.6Fb9VX2CNV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr
Installed the Oracle backup lights yesterday. Removing the steel bumper made it easier. One light was very tight and I didn't think it would fit. I tapped into Aux4 (from under glove box, ran on drivers side interior, down tail light hole to bumper). Used one of the bottom bumper bolts for ground. All connections soldered and heat wrapped. I dont like using those cheapo wire taps.

Sponsored

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
So I tackled this install today and I have to say, it was the worst install I've ever done on any of my vehicles over the last 25 years.

I took the bumper off to make it easier (which was a simple process) and once the bumper was up on my bench, the right side light went straight in. The left side, driver's side, was a total PITA and took numerous visits with a Dremel to remove some of the aluminum from the housing of the Oracle light. There was just no way it was going in on it's own - it was just too big. When trying to push it in and punching it with the palm of my hand and side of my fist, I cracked the lens in a couple of places. I finally got it seated completely after taking a hammer and a piece of wood to it. Total BS if you ask me. The bumper is completely straight and the stock reflectors came out super easy from both sides.

At the end of the day it's there and all wired up to the AUX3 switch. Given what it took to get in that spot, there's no way it's coming out anytime soon.

Whoever else is doing this install, good luck!

PXL_20210103_213841423.jpg

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
So I tackled this install today and I have to say, it was the worst install I've ever done on any of my vehicles over the last 25 years.

I took the bumper off to make it easier (which was a simple process) and once the bumper was up on my bench, the right side light went straight in. The left side, driver's side, was a total PITA and took numerous visits with a Dremel to remove some of the aluminum from the housing of the Oracle light. There was just no way it was going in on it's own - it was just too big. When trying to push it in and punching it with the palm of my hand and side of my fist, I cracked the lens in a couple of places. I finally got it seated completely after taking a hammer and a piece of wood to it. Total BS if you ask me. The bumper is completely straight and the stock reflectors came out super easy from both sides.

At the end of the day it's there and all wired up to the AUX3 switch. Given what it took to get in that spot, there's no way it's coming out anytime soon.

Well, this post almost makes me want to pay someone.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Well, this post almost makes me want to pay someone.
Why not give it a go first and see if you have problems? If so, it seems like it is not much effort to put all back to stock and then find someone to do it for you. This is the first I am hearing of anyone having fitament problems.

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon

Ha Ha I had the same problem with the side near the license plate. The other one went right in. I finally really smacked it with my hand and it popped in. I did get a tiny interior crack (on the interior of the lens), hardy noticeable. My reflectors came right out also. I filed down a couple lines on the light near the tab on the aluminum housing but that really did not help. Any way all in to the AUX 4 and happy with the looks. I do think they may have a fitment issue.

Riverduck

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Security Contractor (Retired Military)
Ha Ha I had the same problem with the side near the license plate. The other one went right in. I finally really smacked it with my hand and it popped in. I did get a tiny interior crack (on the interior of the lens), hardy noticeable. My reflectors came right out also. I filed down a couple lines on the light near the tab on the aluminum housing but that really did not help. Any way all in to the AUX 4 and happy with the looks. I do think they may have a fitment issue.
I installed mine yesterday with the same outcome. I ended up grinding some of the housing and using a punch on the steel bumper. I can live with the little crack caused by trying to tap it in with a mallet.
Sponsored